blu rays dvd News | Face-Off: Zombieland vs. Shaun of the Dead

Face-Off: Zombieland vs. Shaun of the Dead
Comments: 22
therometer
100%
Byte-Back below!
by Stephanie Cooke Jan. 5, 2012
Welcome to The Face-Off, the ultimate showdown for movies.  Every week, the Face-Off takes two movies and compares the hard facts and details for each. We'll decide which film we think was stronger for each section that we break down, but ultimately the decision on which movie wins the overall battle is up to you.  After you've read through what you need to know, let us know which movie YOU think is the champion and why!

Today's challengers have a theme and that theme is: ZOMBIE COMEDIES! And the two movies that come to mind when you think of that are ZOMBIELAND and SHAUN OF THE DEAD. So which of these movies will reign supreme? It's all up to YOU!
Titles
The title ZOMBIELAND is just generally pretty awesome. I don't think it necessarily sums up the entire film, but it definitely does a pretty good job of it. It's letting you know right off the bat that this movie is probably going to be fun, may involve zombies and also theme parks. Plus, it rolls off the tongue.
SHAUN OF THE DEAD is the perfect name for this movie. It's witty, clever and perfectly explains what the movie is about. Plus it's a play on Dawn of the Dead, for those who didn't pick up on that (duh). Oh, and it tells you right off the bat who the main character of the movie is. It's perfection.
Directors/Directing
ZOMBIELAND is directed by Ruben Fleischer, who really hasn't done anything except for ZOMBIELAND. Since ZOMBIELAND he's directed a couple episodes of Funny or Die Presents and the movie 30 Minutes or Less (also starring Jesse Eisenberg), but that's pretty well it.

Considering that Fleischer didn't really have much experience with a big screen feature prior to ZOMBIELAND, I would say that this film turned out incredibly well. It's hilarious, has a great premise and I think Fleischer's overall vision came across to the audience very well.
SHAUN OF THE DEAD is brought to us by Edgar Wright, who is also responsible for such awesomeness as Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Hot Fuzz and British TV show Spaced. Most recently, he co-wrote The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn alongside Doctor Who mastermind, Steven Moffat.

Edgar Wright is kind of like the Martin Scorsese of comedy to me. He just knows what will work and what won't and he seems to be able to bring forth the best performances possible from his cast. SHAUN OF THE DEAD is exceptionally well thought out and this film could've been a massive failure if not for the brilliance of Wright to make this zombie comedy work.
Cast
ZOMBIELAND stars Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin - All playing characters with names of the places they relate to themselves, in lieu of real names, Columbus (Eisenberg), Tallahassee (Harrleson), Wichita (Stone) and Little Rock (Breslin).

BONUS POINTS go to ZOMBIELAND for having an absolutely amazing cameo by Bill Murray.
SHAUN OF THE DEAD stars Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield, Lucy Davis and Dylan Moran. You can't really beat Pegg and Frost working together. These guys are comedic gold. They're just hilarious and work so well together.
Soundtracks
The soundtrack for ZOMBIELAND is kind of all over the place. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but some track highlights include:

• “For Whom The Bell Tolls” by Metallica
• “No One’s Gonna Love You” Band of Horses
• “Gold Guns Girls” by Metric
• “Everybody Wants Some” by Van Halen

…Plus there’s Willie Nelson, some love for the musical Wicked with the song Popular by Kristen Chenoweth, The Doves, Blue Oyster Cult, Hank Williams, The Raconteurs, The Black Keys and more.
Edgar Wright almost always has an awesome soundtrack to go along with his awesome movies. SHAUN OF THE DEAD is no exception with songs like:

• “Ghost Town” by The Specials
• “White Lines” by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost
• “Panic” by The Smiths
• “Don’t Stop Me Now” and “You’re My Best Friend” by Queen

Additional highlights include music from I Monster, Zombie Nation, Chicago and Ash.
Entertainment Value
Both ZOMBIELAND and SHAUN OF THE DEAD aren't your typical zombie movies. They focus on a funny aspect of the supernatural and bring unique takes to the table. Woody Harrelson's character in ZOMBIELAND just wants to have a kill of the week (and a Twinkie), so the movie is full of unique ways to kill the undead.
Where as SHAUN OF THE DEAD is sort of a love story gone wrong. Like all good British entertainment, SHAUN OF THE DEAD doesn't hesitate to kill off characters and gets right to the point. This film also focuses on kind of unique zombie kills, but more so in a way that the characters really don't fathom what they're up against and most of the time, the kills are improvisational.
SHAUN OF THE DEAD
That concludes our ZOMBIE COMEDIES Face-Off! The winner of the rounds was SHAUN OF THE DEAD, but is that which movie YOU think is better? Let us know why you agree or disagree with our verdict... Does Bill Murray's cameo in ZOMBIELAND make the entire movie better than SHAUN OF THE DEAD? Or does the dynamic duo of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost just blow ZOMBIELAND right out of the game?

So which movie do you think is better?
POST YOUR FAVE BELOW!!!
Add to MFC Profile
22 discussions Expand all

ericArk
6:42AM on 01/06/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
You've got red on you.
Shaun no question.
Pegg and Frost are awesome together. I enjoyed Zombieland but I can quote nearly all of Shaun.
Shaun no question.
2 Replies

ericArk
10:23AM on 01/06/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Sort out your fucking life!
Sort out your fucking life!

DaForce
6:50AM on 01/06/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
You can quote all of Shaun, because half of it are quotes from other zombie movies.

Bastinado
5:41AM on 01/06/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Shaun
I want to see a Shaun of the Dead vs Hot Fuzz next please
I want to see a Shaun of the Dead vs Hot Fuzz next please

tokeboy420
2:21AM on 01/06/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Shaun Hands Down
I like Zombieland but don't love it the way I do Shaun of the Dead. Shaun has the name recognition to past films in the genre, the casts are both equally good; the zombies in Shaun walk, not run like in Zombieland, and the complete denial(the zed word) in Shaun seems funnier than the acceptance of reality in Zombieland. I do think that the cameo with Bill Murray in Zombieland is priceless but the few short moments with Bill Nighy in Shaun were classic also. Shaun to me is the better film, but I'm a little baised since I saw it before Zombieland.

Conz
11:07PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
I judge people on their choice
picking Zombieland is pure insanity.
picking Zombieland is pure insanity.

JohnLocke2342
10:56PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Zombieland is fun but Shaun of the Dead is a bonafide classic... Shaun NO CONTEST.

Joe_99
7:53PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Kill the Queen!
Of course Shaun wins, but how can you give soundtrack to Zombieland? The Zombieland soundtrack was great, but the Don't Stop Me Now scene ends the debate.

coryalexander
7:41PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
I agree with the verdict, I however think that "Shaun" actually wins in every listed category. Although I will give you the benefit of the doubt on cast based solely on the Bill Murray cameo.

LelekPL
7:04PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
How is this even a contest? Shaun is a classic, whilst Zombieland was a decent movie and had mediocre comedy at best

wallcrawler383
7:02PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Love both movies, but Shaun is the superior Zombedy (Zombie + Comedy). Great breakdown, enjoyed reading! Wonderful stuff!

poopontheshoes7
6:49PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Zombieland is a major letdown. Shaun is one of the funniest movies ever made.
Zombieland is a major letdown. Shaun is one of the funniest movies ever made.

Netforce
6:31PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Shaun of the Dead. It was a very fresh idea when it came out and it worked on so many levels.

SuperMarcey
6:07PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
SHAUN
SHAUN

WP-DFA
4:16PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Shaun
is a much funnier movie for me, Zombieland just missed the mark even though I love Woody and the Bill Murray thing was fantastic, the rest of the movie was 'meh' for me. Because of that I'd have to give the 'cast' thing to Shaun as well, not as famous actors (though there are a LOT of familiar faces) but I think overall it was a better cast

HTX0811
3:49PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Have to agree, Shaun of the Dead is a lot funnier.
Have to agree, Shaun of the Dead is a lot funnier.

HoyleHaw
3:35PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Love the idea for this. Agree totally with the verdict. If there was something that bugged me about Zombieland was that the zombies weren't really much of a threat. While Shaun and company were actually trying to survive. Also Zombieland was filled with arch-types, though in their case it worked out. Oh, and helped remind audiences how awesome Woody Harrelson is.

PulpFictionFan1
2:56PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
First off this is a brilliant idea for a new segment!! Keep this going please!!! Secondly i agree with the Verdict. Shaun of the dead has become a classic in my opinion. Its a movie that is watched every halloween now and even though Zombieland was good it just doesnt have a chance to hold up against Shaun!!

C.K. Dexter Haven
1:09PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Shaun by a mile
Zombieland tried too hard for quirky appeal, imo; Shaun of the Dead was genuinely good and genuinely funny, and supported the rise in zombie popularity rather than capitolizing on it.

Dr.Frankenstein
1:04PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
I have to agree with "The Verdict".
I have to agree with "The Verdict".

Terminal_83
12:55PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Disagree with cast. Pegg, Frost and everyone else on the cast were trained for comedy. The folks in Zombieland are primarily dramatic stars save for Stone. Shaun is the superior film by leaps and bounds. Well done article.

dead anchoress
12:47PM on 01/05/2012 Add as a friend | MFC profile
Shaun of the Dead!
Though I enjoyed both films Shaun of the Dead is the clear winner. While Zombieland was a lot of fun, Shaun rises above Zombieland in comedy and timelessness in every way imaginable.