The cast is quite a who’s who of talent - Hartnett playing the sexy lead, Luci Lui as his “free-spirited” girlfriend, Freeman and Ben Kinsley as rival crime bosses, Stanley Tucci as an angry (what else?!) cop and even a creepy Bruce Willis thrown in for good measure as a mechanical hitman – but again, all notable subtle work here is highly overshadowed by the abundance of flippant words and speeches that seem like someone is reading off a teleprompter. It’s funny how the various characters in the movie all talk the same way, speak the same language, it’s a tad strange, but it isn’t the film’s problem. Talking isn’t bad, talking too much is - and that’s where LUCKY NUMBER SLEVIN’s luck seems to run out.
Commentary (with Actors Josh Hartnett and Lucy Liu and Writer Jason Smilovic): Unfortunately, this one is 70/30, meaning 30% of this track, when Writer Smilovic cuts in (he frankly states that he is not with the two actors, but merely being spliced in later!) it’s a good listen. But the rest of the time, its 70% stinker, with Hartnett and a rather sedate Lucy Liu merely putting us to sleep with their “this shot was great” and “I liked this”. Keep the remote fast forward button handy for this one!
Deleted Scenes (with Optional Commentary by Director Paul McGuigan): It’s quite obvious that the editor on this film did a terrific job, as all of these scenes are even more talky then what’s in the film (if that’s possible!) and the result is a lesson on how to cut, cut, cut! The optional commentary isn’t bad, but why not include a track on the Extended Scene? Anyway, can be viewed as a Play All (20:53) or Individually.
• Elvis and Sloe (7:16): Tons more hijinks and unfunny dialogue with the two sassy thugs, which Director McGuigan correctly points out, takes away from the film and is completely out of place.
• The Bodyguards’ Story (4:27): Who really cares about the back story on the Bodyguards protecting “the Fairy”, when they’re only in like two quick scenes? Not I and thankfully, not the director.
• The Rabbi And The Boss – Extended Scene (No Commentary) (8:01): This one shows exactly why a little of Freeman and Kingsley goes a long way.
• Alternate Ending (0:52): Bottom Line: This ending would’ve sucked out any and all hope and love left in the film. Nice job McGuigan!
Making Lucky Number Slevin (13:20): Since there are a large number of high profile actors in this flick, I sensed I was gonna be in for a lot of ass kissing with this featurette – boy was I right. If you wanna watch this semi-decent making-of, you better get out the chapstick and pucker up!
There is also a Theatrical Trailer, as well as some forced Trailers at the disc’s opening, which will not be listed out of protest. (End all forced-to-watch Trailers NOW!)