Paul Thomas Anderson
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Top Ten Reasons you should own/rent PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE.
1. As impossible as it may have seemed, director Paul Thomas Anderson actually delivers yet another inspired, ambitious and truly original film on the footsteps of HARD EIGHT, BOOGIE NIGHTS and MAGNOLIA. It seems like this man can do no wrong. If youíre a fan of Andersonís previous films, this is a must-buy.
2. If ever youíve been lucky enough to have completely fallen head over heels ďpunch-drunkĒ in love with someone then you will surely appreciate and fully comprehend what the true essence of this film is: "Love can move mountainsĒ.
3. Adam Sandler proves that he can do much more than crack me up in HAPPY GILMORE, the comedian shows that he can tackle dramatic parts with the best of them and his sweet, tortured and believable performance is reason # 3 why you should be renting this movie immediately.
4. Lovely Brit actress Emily Watson gives us the 3 cís again: Cute, convincing and charming.
5. PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE is just plain beautiful to look at. Besides the wonderful colorful art sequences, there are scenes that are so visually perfect and sequences so well-choreographed (in particular two incredibly romantic scenes) that I used the rewind button on numerous occasions to revisit the beauty of those moments again. Itís no wonder to me that Anderson was chosen best director at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival. P.T. Anderson is officially a brilliant director and will one day be one of the bestÖever.
6. Jon Brion teams up once again with P.T and provides an emotionally charged score through the whole film. Much like in MAGNOLIA, the music in the film plays a crucial part in the unfolding of the story. It guides you along and keeps you in pace with the emotional level of the film. Simply brilliant job by Brion.
7. This movie boasts a couple of the most satisfying moments of revenge and redemption since Tim Robbins got his ass out of Shawshank.
8. The movie can be viewed on many different levels. Itís a character study, a sweet romance, a drama and a comedy; but most of all, itís a wonderfully crafted film with many different layers that gets better on subsequent viewings. Unlike other comedy/romances, this one will actually stay in your heart and mind well after youíve returned it to the video store. Dare I sayÖforever?
9. Guzman, Guzman, Guzman. If youíre like me, you can never get enough of Luis Guzman.
10. If youíre always complaining that there is nothing out there that challenges and moves you anymore, buy or rent PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE and you might just regain a little hope in the movie industry.
ďBlossoms & BloodĒ starts off the few extra features with a bang. Itís basically a 12-minute short film compiled of scenes from the movie (with a few deleted scenes sprinkled within) with music from the film playing in the background and some of the art from PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE serving as a transition between those scenes (as well as setting the mood and tone for them). Itís an easy watch, with a music video feel to it. I wanted to experience more from the film and this 12-minute piece provided just that. 2 deleted scenes are also included. The first one, in particular, was incredibly funny and poignant (The Sisters Call) and is well worth the watch.
A short Mattress Man Commercial (featuring Philip Seymour Hoffman) is a good addition as well. Andersonís having a blast it seems, fabricating these phony commercials for his films. If you were mesmerized by the artwork from the film, there is also a sequence of additional artwork by Jeremy Blake (accompanied by the filmís music). 12 Scopitones (music, art & scenes from the film) are also included. What Blossoms & Blood, the artwork and the scopitones are doing is basically re-exploring the underlying themes, emotions and ideas from the film, for true fans of PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE, they are worth your time. 3 theatrical trailers round out these extra features. No commentary tracks at allÖ.bummer!