PDA

View Full Version : Save Unbreakable!!!

sezperai
06-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Has anyone heard any word lately about the possible future of the Unbreakable trilogy that M. Night Shyamalan mentioned back in the day?

Last I heard, he (or rather the studio) was in the middle about it because Unbreakable didn't put up the numbers they hoped for.

I for one would LOVE to see this story finished.....and from what I have read in the past Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson are/were up for it too.

I know some of you guys out there are gonna SEVERELY disagree with me on this one...and that's your right....but I'm sure there are also plenty of you guys around here that are with me on this.

So, what do ya think? Should Night resurrect this series and complete it? or should it be left in the gutter where it currently is?

IMHO, Night could redeem himself in the eyes of many (even though he has no NEED to in my eyes...his movies have been great to me) by finishing this series and doing it correctly.

Unbreakable was damn near a perfect movie to me..with the right mix of suspense, action, drama and comedy lead by a TERRIFIC plot.

This series would DEFINITELY get my ass back in that $9.00 movie seat with my $5.00 popcorn, my $4.00 soda and my $3.00 plain m&m's....and if done correctly....would probably get me there 3 or 4 times like the original.

so whatcha think?
Jasn

RandalGraves
06-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I enjoyed Unbreakable, but I'm kinda on the fence with a trilogy idea...

teenkiller
06-26-2007, 10:54 PM
I saw this one in theatres and luckily I got in for free. Fuck was I bored. Then again I have ADD and can't sit through any movie that is more than two hours long. Still it was extremely slow paced and didn't really seem to build up to anything. Needless to say I have no interest in a trilogy. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.

sezperai
06-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by RandalGraves
I enjoyed Unbreakable, but I'm kinda on the fence with a trilogy idea...

understandable....

however, I feel if ANY trilogy could be pulled off...it's this one....

especially with the lack of imagination in hollywood these days...

unbreakable was, in my opinion, THE most original superhero/villain spin I've ever seen....and with the current rash of superhero flicks this series could do quite well if it was done right and promoted correctly (and by correctly, I mean advertising the movie for what it is and not making reference to The Sixth Sense so people don't go in expecting horror as this is what I feel really hurt Lady in the Water which I also enjoyed greatly).

Jasn

bourahioro
06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I'd pay to see two more installments of this great movie...it's my favorite of Shyalaman's.

God of War
06-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by bourahioro
I'd pay to see two more installments of this great movie...it's my favorite of Shyalaman's.
^ What He Said ^

slightly
06-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Hell yeah!!! That is my favorite movie by him... he has got to complete it... it was such an open ending

the other two movies were to be called.. breakable, and then broken

APzombie
06-26-2007, 11:18 PM
I would love to see another, though with Hollywood jacking their sequels lately, and Night being one helleva capable original filmmaker (despite his last effort), well.... if i had to choose i would say skip it.

sezperai
06-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by slightly
Hell yeah!!! That is my favorite movie by him... he has got to complete it... it was such an open ending

the other two movies were to be called.. breakable, and then broken

damn look at that big 1 post count from the smiff.

haha

jasn

JJFlamingo
06-26-2007, 11:45 PM
FUCK YEAH!!! Bring on the further adventures of Mr. Glass and Security Guy...:D

ilovemovies
06-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I would SOOOO love it if Shyamalan made a sequel or a trilogy. Well, not sure about the trilogy. I mean, why stop at a trilogy? I'm sure he could go on beyond a trilogy. But I guess ever since LOTR was such a huge hit, the trilogy is now the cool thing to do.

Still, I'd friggin' love a sequel to Unbreakable. Awesome movie. Shyamalan's second best (Sixth Sense was his best IMO, but this is a VERY CLOSE second).

BTW, didn't Unbreakable have such an awesome and amazing score? It's one of my all time favorite scores for sure!

slightly
06-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by sezperai
damn look at that big 1 post count from the smiff.

haha

jasn

yep... and now it's 2 hehe

outsyder
06-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Great movie but it doesn't need a sequel. I think it's said all it needs to say and we should appreciate it for what it is.

WhatsInaName
06-27-2007, 01:15 AM
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS-----------------------------------

Although I have not heard about this before, I think I'm up for a trilogy. But that is only IF AND ONLY IF Sayamalan could bring something new to the series. You see, IMHO, what made that movie so great is it's unexpected turn into a superhero story. Now that it's been estableshed, I don't know what could be done to give this movie new blood.

Pulp_Joker
06-27-2007, 01:20 AM
It really depends on where he taked the idea. I really liked Unbreakable and it is by far Shamaladingdongs best, but I have a hard time thinking of what he could actually do. If done well it would nice to see it.

cocksmokinclerk
06-27-2007, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by outsyder
Great movie but it doesn't need a sequel. I think it's said all it needs to say and we should appreciate it for what it is.

i'm with him

Cronos
06-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by outsyder
that's what i was thinking

Bonham
06-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I would love to see a trilogy. The closest thing out now is the TV show "Heroes".

Dom Shady
06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I say leave it alone. Unbreakable is such a great movie and I don't know where you could go with the story without getting at least a little cheesy.

chinton
06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I dont know if he actually could. Considering its poor numbers and where his carrer is now he may have trouble actually doing it.

Mentiroso
06-27-2007, 10:22 AM
I loved Unbreakable and would like to at least see one more, depending on the way the story unfolds of course. Mr. Glass is in prison/asylum so a new bad guy would have to come out to play. Am I wrong in remembering that M. Night mentioned the idea of the son becoming a bad guy? Or was this a fan script/idea?

Bourne101
06-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Unbreakable was kind of boring. Not a lot went on in that movie.

MidnightAngel
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Unbreakable was OK but not a movie considered as a franchise. And by the way why sequels for Unbreakable when we have Heroes.:D

sezperai
06-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Bourne101
Unbreakable was kind of boring. Not a lot went on in that movie.

I disagree

while not a lot ACTION wise went on in the movie

there were heaps of drama, suspense and self discovery moments....meshed with a bit of action (just the right amount in my opinion since he was finding his calling in life) and a bit of comedy.

If they ever do get around to a sequel however, it should most definitely have heaps more action since he now would know his role.

It could be great or it could be terrible...i don't really think there is any middle ground.

jasn

sezperai
06-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Mentiroso
I loved Unbreakable and would like to at least see one more, depending on the way the story unfolds of course. Mr. Glass is in prison/asylum so a new bad guy would have to come out to play. Am I wrong in remembering that M. Night mentioned the idea of the son becoming a bad guy? Or was this a fan script/idea?

I could see the sequel going a bit like this.

Mr Glass plans a jailbreak using his gift of gab. He develops a following while in prison and has his "group" break him out During the event, most of his clan is killed during the riot but he manages to escape with say 3 or 4 of the more hardcore of the group. 1 stays on with him as his protector (a badass assault w/ deadly weapon/murderer type) and the other 2 go about wreaking havoc. Since this isn't a "supernatural" movie....these two could be comprised of a serial rapist and a crazed murderer/terrorist. Upon learning of the jailbreak Captain Poncho (haha) sets out to stop Glass without being aware of the 3 that made it out with him. Rape/Murder/Terrorism ensues and CP, in time, realizes that they are all working under Glass. the rest would fill itself in as it goes.

Glass' motives for helping/letting this all happen could be his general belief that most of the people in the world deserve it because they have no appreciation for life while he, in his condition, cherishes it and appreciates the finer things (we could be thrown back to his reaction in Unbreakable where the guy wanted the comic print for his kid...."THIS IS NOT A TOY!!! IT'S A WORK OF ART")....basically a "the human race is beneath me" complex.

As far as a 3rd goes....after having come close to being captured...and having lost his other 3 allys...Glass finally finds another with the same condition that Willis' character has with the exception of a different weakness and this could carry us through the rest of the movie with several possible straightforward endings or even a couple of different twist ending possibilities.

being as the powers of Willis' character are based more on a genetic anomaly than supernatural....i could see any number of ways this series could go...but i definitely like the "real world superhero" theme and it should be further developed.

dunno maybe a dumb idea.
maybe not.

jasn

psycheoutsteve
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm not really sure if Unbreakable requires a trilogy, but then again I thought this of the Matrix as well...this is just one of those films which I can't really envision a sequel to. M. Night could definitely prove me wrong, but I'm more interested to see the completely new material he creates.

Danger^Cart
06-27-2007, 04:09 PM
I absolutely loved the drab, downbeat atmosphere Unbreakable brought to the superhero genre, and would love to see character arcs completed.

Love the idea of the son becoming a villain, too. He could be the other anomaly.

DaveyJoeG
06-28-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't think this will ever happen. From what I remember Shyamalan initially wanted to tell a comic book adventure with a first, second and third act but found it didn't interest him. So he decided to make the film just the first act, the origin of a hero. A trilogy may have been an idea in his head a few years ago but I don't think he's given it any real consideration since the film came out.

adamjohnson
06-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by DaveyJoeG
I don't think this will ever happen. From what I remember Shyamalan initially wanted to tell a comic book adventure with a first, second and third act but found it didn't interest him. So he decided to make the film just the first act, the origin of a hero. A trilogy may have been an idea in his head a few years ago but I don't think he's given it any real consideration since the film came out.

Right.

The second film would be David fighting crime and discovering the length of his powers.

The third ould be fighting the ultimate evil - presumable Elijah.

The Secondfilm has no clear plot.
And the only way the third film would work is if they treated Elijah like a serial killer. If he's going to come after David, he'll have to do it through his family. And, in the world Night's created, that would mean more of a horror movie vibe from the third one.

I've always been on the fence with these.

Mentiroso
06-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Been thinking about it more, would love to see a 2nd and 3rd movie for sure. Im liking some of the ideas you guys have posted. Maybe M. Night snoops around the boards and will see some interest in it and steal your story line to make his trilogy :D

I do think the David's son will need to play into it as well though, either as his fathers replacement (like David dies at the end of the third flick and his son takes over) or as a bad guy. Something like he wasnt loved enough and become a bad guy but David does not realize it is his son until the final battle when he unmasks him or something like that.

I would picture that David has become so busy taking on his new superhero position his son is neglected and begins down a dark path. David never senses this because he is never around to hug his son or anything like that so there is no physical contact between the two until the final showdown, kind of like in the first flick. He doesnt find out until the end, grabbing the "bad guy" and then seeing flashes of it really being his son.

The Pin
06-28-2007, 04:57 PM
YES! I 100% agree. I'd really like more closure than cutting to a few seconds of text. Plus its another way to get Sammy J. and Bruce Willis to do another movie together! So hell yeah!

Superperfundo on the early eve of your day.

WebHed
06-28-2007, 07:32 PM
I say hell yeah bring on the trilogy but just keep the two main characters no NEW ones please. I would love to see Bruce Willis character explore his powers a bit more.

Double Down
06-28-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm not dying for continuation but if Unbreakable sequels were made I'd definitely be there seeing them. I thought it was a wonderful story and an interesting take on the whole superhero idea.

Tweek
06-29-2007, 01:47 PM
NO!

NO!

NOOOOOOOOO!

They shouldn't do it. By the way, i loved "Unbreakable" and the ending.

goodfella58
06-30-2007, 09:32 AM
i liked unbreakable a lot. It set up a great story and I would like to see it turned into a triliogy

eljefe15
06-30-2007, 01:07 PM
I'd like to see more of this for several reasons. First, M. Night Shyamalan is a good director and I think his films get a bad rap because they're not as good as The Sixth Sense. So what? Let the man make his films. Secondly, Bruce Willis is a bad motherfucker! And even though I found the first part of Unbreakable a little tedious to watch, I felt that the build up to the rescue scene was effective and saved the flick for me. And lastly, I'd like to see more movies about superheros without all the over-the-top CGI shit. I'd like to see what Shyamalan has in up his sleeve.

slightly
06-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by eljefe15
I'd like to see more of this for several reasons. First, M. Night Shyamalan is a good director and I think his films get a bad rap because they're not as good as The Sixth Sense. So what? Let the man make his films. Secondly, Bruce Willis is a bad motherfucker! And even though I found the first part of Unbreakable a little tedious to watch, I felt that the build up to the rescue scene was effective and saved the flick for me. And lastly, I'd like to see more movies about superheros without all the over-the-top CGI shit. I'd like to see what Shyamalan has in up his sleeve.

I completely agree, it would be great to see more heroes that are more human... and to see why and how they are what they are

Mentiroso
06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by slightly
I completely agree, it would be great to see more heroes that are more human... and to see why and how they are what they are

Yeah thats what made Unbreakable for me. This guy who just went through his daily life until someone pointed out to him he had the powers. Like it could happen to ANYONE of us. Not the kid who drinks radioactive waste or comes from a different planet.

Tweek
06-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Secondly, Bruce Willis is a bad motherfucker! :cool:
damn right.

Underground
07-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Well I think it would be impossible for them to make another part of the series. The movie is about the duality of two people and their place in society.

Bruce Willis is David Dunn, and Sam Jackson is Elijah Price; I'll do what most posters before me did, and refer to them by their characters first names.

The movie has Elijah incredibly weak while David is incredibly strong.

It ends with David relizing who he is, and becomes a hero, and Elijah going to jail. They complete their journey. There would have to be an specific desire by one of the character to push the series into a second or third installment.

I have real doubts that M. Night ever said there would be a trilogy, he wrote the story and if he really wanted a trilogy I figure he would have eluded to it in the film

AkimBischoff
07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
I remember M. Night entertaining the idea of a sequel. Not sure if he ever imagined a trilogy, but I would sure love it. :D

But if he keeps cranking out movies likeThe Village and mostly Lady in the Water, poor M. Night will be hard pressed to get any movie funded.

AndrewDB
07-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by AkimBischoff
If he keeps cranking out movies likeThe Village and mostly Lady in the Water, poor M. Night will be hard pressed to get any movie funded.

If Uwe Boll can continue to get funding for the shit he cranks out, M. Night Shyamalan won't be pressed for cash any time soon.

adamjohnson
07-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by AkimBischoff
I remember M. Night entertaining the idea of a sequel. Not sure if he ever imagined a trilogy, but I would sure love it. :D

But if he keeps cranking out movies likeThe Village and mostly Lady in the Water, poor M. Night will be hard pressed to get any movie funded.

He's humbled now, andI think his next movie will put him back on the map.