PDA

View Full Version : The ending of Sublime (SPOILERS)

psycheoutsteve
08-24-2007, 08:27 PM
I liked the psychological thriller Sublime to a certain degree, that is, until it reached its horrible last ten minutes. The final scenes completely ruined my enjoyment of the film. The torture scene with the mysterious hospital orderly felt completely awkward due to its incoherent dialogue and squeamish violence. The icing on the cake occurred when the main character falls to the ground and dies in his dream, thus killing him in real life. I really wanted him to wake from his coma and reunite with his family, which would be a sensible ending. Instead, the main character accomplishes nothing by killing himself, he only escapes his own nightmare and leaves behind his loved ones. The film was trying so desperately to develop a subplot concerning the wife leaving the main character despite the fact that there was absolutely no character development to support it. Did the main character really think that death was his best option? Wouldn't it be more suiting to awake from a nightmare and confront your real life demons? Please tell me someone else has seen this film and walked away dissatisfied...

Cronos
08-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I liked it and was glad they didn't go for some stupid happy ending with him waking up.

psycheoutsteve
08-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Cronos
I liked it and was glad they didn't go for some stupid happy ending with him waking up.

As opposed to the stupid ending they did go with that made no sense at all? Alright, you're entitled to your opinion.

Cronos
08-25-2007, 11:15 AM
From what i remember the good ending that they used made sense to me, has been a while since i saw it though.

psycheoutsteve
08-25-2007, 01:48 PM
I understand that the filmmakers were trying to conclude the film with an unconvential ending, but I feel like the ending wasn't justified at all by the film's content. I liked the main character, he was a nice guy who didn't deserve to die. The subplots about his wife leaving him and the hints that he was a closet racist didn't make any sense at all. Where in the film was there any real development that suggested the wife wanted to leave him? The black orderly who symbolized the main character's fears seemed to be suggesting that the main character was a racist? Where the hell in the film was there any development towards that subplot? Did the ordely just symbolize death or fear in general? What the hell was the point of that torture scene again? If the main character could kill himself in a dream and in reality while on life support, why the hell couldn't he wake up? Does that make any sense? How can you kill yourself in a dream state on life support? Maybe I'm probing too deeply into the film's logic, but that doesn't change the fact the the ending wasn't justified by the underdeveloped plot. I'm just aggravated because this movie could've been great and didn't deliver.

shelley1005
10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I agree whole heartedly that the plot development lacked in more ways that one can be bothered to count. The falling in and out on conciousness was out of context. The wife's indescretion with the doctor was seen before there was the flashback of her possibly wanting another life. It was immediately apparent he was in a dream and for me, the real thrill in these type's of movies is when you have no idea it is false until the very end. The ending was bogus and the torture scene was over the top. Also, the conversation with the daughter seemed amazingly pointless and took away the hard earned concentration of the main plot. I was really looking forward to viewing this film and came out empty handed.