PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tired of this 1-18-08 bull shit?

Dragula
09-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Ok when I went to go see Transformers I saw the 1-18-08 trailer and I thought "ah, looks pretty good." But no one will shut the hell up about 1-18-08! When is this all of a sudden the #1 movie to talk about. What the hell is this movie even about? Is it Godzilla, some big monster, Pokemon? If your interested in 1-18-08 thats fine, I won't judge you. Oh and then I went to the website and what is that all about? They can't give us a normal website but instead they give us pictures from the movie. Before I end this thread, does anyone besides me dislike J.J Abrams?

floydtheater07
09-02-2007, 09:42 PM
I love JJ Abrams. The whole marketing scheme of this film has been designed to force the audience to take an active role, rather than be passive observers as we usually are, and I think it's pretty cool.

With that said, I've gotten to the point where enough is enough and I'd like to know what the film is all about. The way I see it, it will just be a Blair Witch style monster movie, and if that's true, I'm psyched. I just lost interest in trying to figure anything out. I'd like to know what I'm excited about.

Le_Big_Mac
09-03-2007, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't mind not knowing anything until the days impending its release. Trailers, the media and the internet spoil too many movies these days as it is. About time we see a movie we have don't know the entire plot to in advance.

daddiefatsacks
09-03-2007, 12:55 AM
i just hope they don't show the monster until i see the movie

bigred760
09-03-2007, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by daddiefatsacks
i just hope they don't show the monster until i see the movie

Me too (well, until I see the movie :p).

All the "hoopla" doesn't bother me that much. I am curious about the movie, but since there really isn't much out there right now about it, I'm not going to worry about it.

RustyRazor
09-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Considering the caliber of movies that they keep promoting on TV and in trailers, I am VERY anxious to see this movie.

You create a buzz, show only certain parts of the movie to get the public's attention and you've got yourself a hit.

I've had to sit through commercials for:

"Balls Of Fury"
"The New Halloween" ("The boogie man's comin' to get ya...!":rolleyes: )
"The Brothers Solomon"
"Daddy Day Camp"
"The Invasion"

and

"Alvin and the Chipmunks" is right around the corner to plague or eyeballs.

At least this movie has a cool mystique to it.
I can't wait.

syxxpac
09-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Dragula
does anyone besides me dislike J.J Abrams?

I would say mildly annoyed with, but not because of this movie. My issue with him is the receiving of credit when it isn't entirely earned, namely for Lost. Every time you hear a story about Lost in the media, no matter where you hear it, it's always "J.J. Abrams' LOST!", despite the fact that a) Damon Lindelof, and to a lesser extent, Jeffrey Lieber, contributed just as much to the conception of the show and are just as much its creators, and b) Abrams hasn't had jack fucking shit to do creatively with it in terms of actually getting in there and writing the nitty gritty since season 1 and that one fucking season 3 premiere. That's it. Big whoop. Compare that to Lindelof and his partner in crime Carlton Cuse, who are still in the trenches every season and wrote some of the best episodes the show has ever produced just this year alone, including the amazing season 3 finale, and the mainstream never seems to give THEM credit, they have to rely on the die hard fans to reck-o-nize the true maestros.

So yes. Mildly annoyed.

EvilHenchman
09-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Le_Big_Mac
I wouldn't mind not knowing anything until the days impending its release. Trailers, the media and the internet spoil too many movies these days as it is. About time we see a movie we have don't know the entire plot to in advance.

That's exactly how I feel about it. Well said.

Scarfather
09-03-2007, 12:56 PM
None of my friends are hyped about it, I haven't heard anyone talk about it, even in theaters, outside of the internet, not one word of buzz has passed my ear outside of when the trailer was on screen atr Transformers.

Maybe people in my area just couldn't care less.

Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are gods by the way.

Powerslave
09-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Le_Big_Mac
I agree on this, definitely, but when I think this I think of a movie simply being in production, then being released, and people going to see it based on reviews or on the trailer they might've seen in front of another movie a month or so before, or simply word of mouth. Like it used to be. In this case, I'm just getting irritated by the way they're going about it. It's like the movie doesn't even matter, they're just making it as an excuse to get as much buzz as possible. Obviously that's not true, but it feels that way. The teaser in front of Transformers was a cool move, but now it's like every other day, "Update: go to this random website and type in the first 30 digits of Pi, wait 9 hours and 14 minutes, and you'll see a picture of some boring guy doing nothing, accompanied by a vague and uninteresting sound effect. According to JJ Abrams and company, this is integral to the plot of 1-18-08." Like that fucking Slusho bullshit, or whatever. It just makes me not want to see the movie at all. Fortunately, it is starting to die down a bit.

HedwigX
09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Powerslave
Fortunately, it is starting to die down a bit.

I get the feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better (i.e. after the film has been released) and I think it's going to be soon as well...

I haven't delved into the viral marketing stuff, but I do wish people would stfu about it. I prefer to remain like the majority of people who saw that trailer and didn't know what the fuck was going on- I want to see the movie and not know much about what's going to happen, for a change.

teenkiller
09-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah I got tired of it a few days after that teaser hit. I had to stop visiting the thread in the Upcoming section because I felt people were just getting too obsessive over it. As far as the movie itself goes I have pretty much lost interest in it for now but might still end up going to see it. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.

dreamcurls
09-03-2007, 07:10 PM
what's 1-18-08, are you talking about the "Bad Robot" preview where it was being filmed thru a camcorder at this dudes going away party?
i thought it looked cool
and i love J.J. Abrams ALIAS and LOST are the greatest shows of the last 5 years or so. . .

ilovemovies
09-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by syxxpac
I would say mildly annoyed with, but not because of this movie. My issue with him is the receiving of credit when it isn't entirely earned, namely for Lost. Every time you hear a story about Lost in the media, no matter where you hear it, it's always "J.J. Abrams' LOST!", despite the fact that a) Damon Lindelof, and to a lesser extent, Jeffrey Lieber, contributed just as much to the conception of the show and are just as much its creators, and b) Abrams hasn't had jack fucking shit to do creatively with it in terms of actually getting in there and writing the nitty gritty since season 1 and that one fucking season 3 premiere. That's it. Big whoop. Compare that to Lindelof and his partner in crime Carlton Cuse, who are still in the trenches every season and wrote some of the best episodes the show has ever produced just this year alone, including the amazing season 3 finale, and the mainstream never seems to give THEM credit, they have to rely on the die hard fans to reck-o-nize the true maestros.

So yes. Mildly annoyed.

You are correct that Lindelof deserves as much if not more credit than Abrams for Lost.

But Alias is one of my all time favorite television shows and that almost entirely all Abrams doing. Well, until he jumped ship to focus on Lost and M:I-3.

But generally, I think Abrams is a genius and I can't fucking wait to see what he does with Star Trek. Especially with some of the intriguing rumors that are out there.

Badbird
09-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Be cryptic all you want, but how about a fucking title for crying out loud.

Are you telling me this got all the way through script writing, preproduction, production, and now post - and they still don't know what they're gonna call it?

At least give it a name so people don't have to say "that one movie about the thing."

LordSimen
09-04-2007, 03:19 PM
It's incredibly annoying the hell out of me. All these rumors and bullshit buzz over a movie we literally know nothing about. Atleast Batman's viral compaign has been able to tease while at least giving me something to look forward to. I have nothing to look forward to for this movie because I have no idea what's in it. For I could know this could be the most genius marketing campaign to hide an incredibly shitty monster. :o

dreamcurls
09-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Badbird
Be cryptic all you want, but how about a fucking title for crying out loud.

Are you telling me this got all the way through script writing, preproduction, production, and now post - and they still don't know what they're gonna call it?

At least give it a name so people don't have to say "that one movie about the thing."

i'm pretty sure it's called "bad robot", it's hard to tell b/c it flashes thru the screen really fast, but as far as I can tell the fllm does have a name

mutesaint
09-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by dreamcurls
i'm pretty sure it's called "bad robot", it's hard to tell b/c it flashes thru the screen really fast, but as far as I can tell the fllm does have a name

Sorry but nope. The production company is "Bad Robot." They're the same people who produce Lost and Alias.

ilovemovies
09-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Yes Bad Robot is Abram's production company.

teenkiller
09-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Rumor was reported today that the title of the film could possibly be 'Wreck' though this is subject to change, if it's even true to begin with. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.

mutesaint
09-05-2007, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by teenkiller
Rumor was reported today that the title of the film could possibly be 'Wreck' though this is subject to change, if it's even true to begin with. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.

I am waiting till I see a trailer, in theatres, with a name attached, before I think one damn thing about this movie. There is just so much crzyness and flat out bullshit creating that anything heard is subject to be total bs. (Not a bad title though)

Cop No. 633
09-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by syxxpac

So yes. Mildly annoyed.

Give this guy a beer and a joint! You hit the nail on the head buddy. I'm not an Abrams fan really... Never got into Alias and I HATED Mi3... thought it was the most boring action film of the year.

I'm also sick and tired about hearing how Lost is Abram's baby when it's really Lindelof and Cuse who made the show what is. Do you see Abrams doing the podcast? No, because the guy doesn't know what's going on outside of being updated by the real creative team about what's going on with the show. He lent his time and money because he knew this would be a great show, but I can't tell you how many times I have to tell people I meet that it's not Abram's show. I thank Abrams for having the balls to support the show, but it's not his baby.

lol... as for the movie, I couldn't care less about it at this point. The trailer wasn't bad, but I felt people really went goo-goo-ga-ga over nothing. Once I saw the statue head fly, I couldn't help but notice the cheesy effect... I mean, I hear people talking about how the Mist effects weren't polished enough but this trailer had a terrible CGI effect. They could have aged it and degraded it a bit more before they previewed it. I'll check it out, but I'm not really excited about it.

I Am Legend
09-07-2007, 07:53 AM
While the trailers for this film look mildly interesting, the marketing campaign has been original and impressive.

Even if itís just an average monster movie, tons of people will flock to see it out of sheer curiosity.

And Iíll probably be one of them.

dreamcurls
09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by mutesaint
Sorry but nope. The production company is "Bad Robot." They're the same people who produce Lost and Alias.

ah, i knew the name sounded familiar. . . it's been a long time since i watched Alias or Lost, I forgot about that. oh well. thanks

APzombie
09-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I feel like when the title is revealed and when the monster is revealed (maybe only via internet) most of the hype will die down.... until you get in the theater, and the REAL cinematic suspense starts.

LordSimen
09-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by APzombie
I feel like when the title is revealed and when the monster is revealed (maybe only via internet) most of the hype will die down.... until you get in the theater, and the REAL cinematic suspense starts.

I know I, personally, will be much more hyped when we start getting some actual information about the movie. The title would be a good start. :cool:

psycheoutsteve
09-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by LordSimen
I know I, personally, will be much more hyped when we start getting some actual information about the movie. The title would be a good start. :cool:

Agreed. I know this sounds silly, but this movie doesn't feel real to me yet. If the film did have a title it would be easier to anticipate it, but all this secrecy makes it feel like a high school prank.