PDA

View Full Version : "Extended, unrated, and too much for theatres!" Oh give me a break.

Dragula
12-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I ABSOLUTELY had the DVD marketing this days. I love how they think the DVD is so goddamn special because it's "extended and too much for theatres." Okay first off the only DVD that has been extended for much than 10 seconds was 1408. And with movies that are "too much for theatres" are nothing. Usually the too much for theatres thing is a guy have his toe cut off or something. But thats usually for horror DVD's. And I have a question, was Planet Terror extended at all? I absolutely loved the movie but found no extended scene's in it.

ADVICE FOR ALL "FILMMAKERS" THAT ARE STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL OR COLLAGE: IF YOUR GOING TO SELL A DVD THAT YOU MADE AND YOU MAKE IT EXTENDED BUT IT REALLY ISN'T, YOUR A FUCKING IDIOT!

HoyleHaw
12-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll carry it with me. Unfortunately, I don't plan on going into marketing at any point, and unless the studio wants the release a shorter version than the director, I wouldn't personally see the need for it. Some scenes are left on the cutting-room floor for a reason. And if they aren't they get stuck in "Deleted Scenes" on the DVD Extras. That's how it should be.

TheJadedGamer
12-09-2007, 03:34 AM
It's a toss-up to me. Sometimes unrated and extended DVDs can actually go the extra mile with it's material and turn a movie into a whole different beast. For example: the Unrated version of The 40 Year Old Virgin is vastly superior than the theaterical release. Same goes for Live Free and Die Hard, in which the added 'fucks' and blood really make it seems more like a Die Hard movie.

When a film doesn't do the term 'extended' or 'unrated' justice, that's when I get annoyed by it.

LordSimen
12-09-2007, 03:57 AM
How can this annoy you? Seriously, it's so pointless to get annoyed over something so trivial. Who gives a shit if a movie wants to market it's DVD as extended and unrated and how the hell does it affect you if the cover of the DVD says "UNRATED EDITION?" The correct answer is that it DOESN'T affect you and there's really no point to get annoyed with it. Especially when there are plenty of movies like The 40 Year Old Virgin, The Hills Have Eyes (06), Live Free or Die Hard, 1408, Requiem For A Dream, Dawn of the Dead (04) among many more have benefitted completely from an unrated release.

And personally, I'll take the unrated version of a horror movie which actually has the toe coming off than the pussified theatrical cut where the toe cutting is "way too much" for audiences." THAT'S bullshit.

inglourious basterd
12-09-2007, 09:15 AM
If you don't like unrated versions, then don't buy them.

Personally, I think that unrated versions tend to suffer from pacing issues. Often, scenes are cut for good reason.

You can probably tell which movies had scenes taken out because they were excessively graphic. I think that, most of the time, "extended" scenes have nothing to do with excessive anything.

Requiem for a Dream was mentioned above, but that is a notable exception. Darren Aronofsky was adamant about keeping his film uncut. He only made the edited version because the NC-17 rating is a kiss of death. If he didn't make it, then it wouldn't have been available at many major chains.

chasingbanky
12-09-2007, 04:57 PM
I agree all the way on the 40-year old virgin comment. It has many more laughs in the unrated version. I watched Superbad Unrated last night, but with commentary, and that was funny as shit. They kept saying things about what was added, so I imagine the commentary on the regular dvd is different. Anyway, I like having the option usually.

TheJadedGamer
12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree all the way on the 40-year old virgin comment. It has many more laughs in the unrated version.

Not only laughs, but expanded the characteristics of the supporting cast more. I really dug that. It was probably the first unrated DVD in which I felt that the movie had been improved with not being rated...not just being that for the sake of selling DVDs.

Brendan M.
12-11-2007, 02:59 PM
was Planet Terror extended at all? I absolutely loved the movie but found no extended scene's in it.

There were things thrown into the DVD that wasn't in the theatrical version. Its just they're not as easy to notice and remember. I had a hard time picking out the deleted scenes too since it had been such a long time since I saw Grindhouse.

Rodrigueze points most of the differences out in the commentary track.

blk_flower
01-05-2008, 02:26 PM
the only REAL unrated dvds that I've seen or heard of were
MANIAC

I heard maniac was left not rated for it's dvd release in america that is the default dvd out right now. Other than that I can't think of one, the reason I think for this is that directors just can't spend the time to make more blood on the set knowing very well that it would be cut, you can cut scenes or doing some magic to make a scene less graphic but you can't actually remove the blood in a studio after the scene is done.

Even with cgi I can't see any real looking blood being put into a film with cg. As for unrated movies with sex scenes uncut that can be a different story, check out "The Dreamers" i don't think an R rated film can show an up close shot of a vagina the way the unrated version on that film did.