PDA

View Full Version : I hate people

DRbeauty
01-08-2008, 08:29 AM
So the other day I had an unfortunate conversation with this stupid ass girl who's friends with my sister. Since I'm in the medical field we got into this conversation about medical related movies and shows. I told her that they should make more movies about EMTs and nurses because it would probably be more interesting than a doctor's. She then looked at me and said:

" But nurses only do what doctor's tell them. That's boring."

Bitch! I wanted to slap the shit out of her and kick her out of my fucking apartment.

If she only knew how much shit I put up with in one night. It's no surprise that nurses are in the top 3 of drug users. Easy access. I could set up a very lucrative business that way, and I would make so much more money.Hmmm;)
Anyways, all I'm saying is that the reason there is a nursing shortage is because....

NURSING SUCKS ASS!!!!!

You don't know how many times I've wanted to look at a patient and say

SHUT THE FUCK UP OR I'LL KILL YOU IN YOUR SLEEP. LOSING MY LICENSE WOULD BE WORTH IT.

or tell a doctor

SO let me write this as an order, DO NOT FUCKING CALL ME AT 3 IN THE MORNING AND TELL ME MY PATIENT IS HAVING A HEART ATTACK. I KNOW MORE BECAUSE I'M A DOCTOR AND YOU'RE A NURSE.

and 30 minutes later, said 33 year old single father of three dies of a massive heart attack on CHRISTMAS FUCKING MORNING!

Oh, and by the way maybe/maybe not really there God? that's so not cool.

or tell administration

so let me get this straight, you are adding an extra patient to an already heavy load. We're not getting extra equipment to properly do our job because it's expensive. Yet you guys make 100,000 + a year. We're not hiring more staff to help with the patients who are sick enough for you to be stuck in their room all night and ignore your other patients. You've cut our overtime. FUCK OFF AND DIE!

Anyways, I'm not trying to whine about my sucky job I'm just saying, you can make a kick ass show about nurses. Here are some ideas they can use that have happened to me and my coworkers aka drink buddies:

A nurse getting a patient's blood transfusion poured all over her hair. She runs into the break room crying and scares the shit out of her friend who tells her she looks like a chainsaw victim. She bursts into more tears when her friend laughs at the real story while scrubbing the blood out of her ears.

OR:

The night that another nurse's patient FELL DOWN THE FUCKING STAIRS. They found him 30 minutes later when an employee found him lying in a pool of blood.

That nurse is my best friend by the way and she cried the whole day. She thought she was going to get fired. She's an awesome nurse by the way.

OR: The night that I fucking had this fucking asshole evil patient who SQUIRTED ME IN THE EYE WITH HIS HIV POSITVE INFECTED BLOOD. Thank's asshole,I couldn't get laid for a long time.

Sidenote: I work nightshift so I work 7p-7a. If it's a night from the pits from hell I'll leave at 9:30, which means someone has died, another has come close to dying, another keeps shitting all night, another keeps keeps calling for the pain med/ nausea medicine combo every 2 hours, and the extra patient they've added is a guy who is so fucking drunk/high/insane that we've had to leather restrain him to the bed, screaming at the top of his lungs...

" YOU FUCKING CUNT. UNTIE ME!!!!!"

So, if I go to Wally's at 8 in the morning and have three shots of Tequila and two vodka tonics, it does not make me an alcoholic.

My sister is a nurse too and she would also have a kick ass show/movie. She's a fucking psych nurse!

Brendan M.
01-08-2008, 09:59 AM
You don't know how many times I've wanted to look at a patient and say

SHUT THE FUCK UP OR I'LL KILL YOU IN YOUR SLEEP. LOSING MY LICENSE WOULD BE WORTH IT.

All of a sudden, I don't feel safe about going to the hospital anymore.

RustyRazor
01-08-2008, 10:04 AM
All of a sudden, I don't feel safe about going to the hospital anymore.

I just bought a bag of apples and a case of vitamin C.
Wasn't too fond of hospitals to begin with, but NOW...?:(

DRbeauty
01-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Of course I don't feel that way about everyone. It's the people who act like it's a hotel and expect to be waited on hand and foot. God forbid you don't get your newspaper on time even if that means your roommate next door stops breathing. Then there's the rude and nasty drunks and druggies. The asshole family members. The people who try to manipulate you or blame the hospital for being sick when they didn't take care of themselves. The list goes on and on

RustyRazor
01-08-2008, 10:34 AM
One of the few times I was in the hospital, I was unfortunate enough to share a room with this old man.
Not the nice old man you see in those Peppridge Farms commercials with his cookies.
An old man that consistantly would bitch and moan about wanting water or more aspirin or talk about how things were different in his country.
I had shattered my kneecap and was in a GREAT deal of pain and what did this old man do on a regular basis?
Wake me when I was trying to sleep and frequently tugging out my IV when I would try to ignore him.

When his family arrived and I tried to inform them of the old man's actions, they told me to stop complaining. "He's just a silly old man.".

When I told the attendants about this, they promised they'd do something about it. When the old man pulled out my IV for the seventh time, my wrist starting to resemble a piece of roast beef, I called in the nurse...and she chided me as I was yelling at the old man.

My extreme patience and not wanting to go to jail for bashing in the skull of a crazy old bastard basically kept me calm during my stay.

I've seen stuff similar to what you're talking about or that mirrored my experience or WORSE, so yeah, I see where you're coming from.

BakeTheMooCow
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
What's with these rants lately that have nothing to do with movies...?

Anyways, I'm not trying to whine about my sucky job

Gimme a break.

Tweek
01-08-2008, 12:56 PM
" But nurses only do what doctor's tell them. That's boring."

Wow... So not true. Plus, I've seen the crap nurses put up with and do NOT envy it.

DarthWade
01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
It's people like her that run Hollywood - you know that right??? :(

This world is getting worse and worse every damn day.

DRbeauty
01-08-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't see how my post isn't related to movies I thought I made that connection clear, and maybe I am whining about my job, but believe me I'm not exaggerating at all.

Rusty, if I was your nurse, that old man would have behaved himself, trust me. I don't put up with that shit.

echo_bravo
01-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Well, there is Nurse Betty.

:confused:

Sorry your job sucks. I couldnt imagine working in the medical field. Even though I like really violent movies and gore, the sight of real blood infront of me makes me beyond sweamish. Also I hate needles too yikes!:eek:

bigred760
01-09-2008, 06:24 AM
"I love humanity, it's people I can't stand."

-Linus van Pelt

RustyRazor
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't see how my post isn't related to movies I thought I made that connection clear, and maybe I am whining about my job, but believe me I'm not exaggerating at all.

Rusty, if I was your nurse, that old man would have behaved himself, trust me. I don't put up with that shit.

Thank you, DRB.
And I liked your rant.
Reminded me of my grey, smokey colored past.
My memory being what it is, I don't get much of that nowadays.

NathanRomano
01-10-2008, 07:37 PM
God, that sucks.

I hate it when people don't give a shit about anyone but themselves and just keep bugging other people to get their shit

Kings-Rook1
01-10-2008, 08:14 PM
I am so glad you do what you do (Just in case no one has told you that, like ever). There is no way I could A) Deal with sick people and B) Deal with sick assholes. I have two friends that are nurses and personally would have been committed a long time ago if I had to deal with all the shit they get dealt. Aside from the monthly impacted object or Darwin award worthy stories there is no way I could ever be a nurse.

TheJadedGamer
01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I've been trying to decide what to type in this post for about two minutes. I must say, I am still utterly confused on how to respond. Should I share my painful work experiences with assholes? No? Damn.

Sorry your job sucks. That's all I could come up with.

X-Nightcrawler
01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
. . . how can you be a nurse . . . and hate people?

*vanishes mysteriously*

Servo
01-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I fucking hate emergency rooms with a fucking passion. I broke my wrist in a car accident (not a bad one, airbag went off when it shouldn't have) and I was rushed there. I spent thirty minutes in a damn wheel chair with a low blood pressure. When I asked, "what does that mean?" the nurse said "it means you may be internally bleeding." WHAT THE FUCK?! "...more morphine please."

I was in bed for about 7 hours. They said they were going to send someone in to set my wrist, but instead they wrapped it and sent me home. I spent a good four days looking for a doctor, and in the time I had a completely fucked up and un-set fractured wrist. Thankfully, I had percocet to get me through the ordeal. When I finally met my surgeon and he saw my X-Rays his response was "how are you not in intense pain!?"

I understood it wasn't a hotel. I get it, I'm not a Ramada. But damn it, telling me shit like I'm internally bleeding, then making me wait for hours on end without actually doing anything (except taking x-rays, and that was before the waiting long hours on end). Ugh. Worst experience of my life. I'm just glad I had morphine administered whenever I asked. That was fuckin' nice.

Buck Turgidson
01-11-2008, 02:14 AM
"I love humanity, it's people I can't stand."

-Linus van PeltThis is now my personal motto :cool:

Charles Schultz was a brilliantly insightful man.

Incidentally, this is related to movies. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040218/ for further guidance.

Tweek
01-11-2008, 02:47 AM
I have never seen that movie but it sounds delightful.

Kings-Rook1
01-11-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm just glad I had morphine administered whenever I asked. That was fuckin' nice.

Thank a nurse. Emergency rooms suck; if youíre not on a gurney don't go! I understand the need for triage, but I think most hospitals work on the assumption that if a guy sticks around for four to six hours waiting for medical attention he must actually need it.
A flick that popped to mind is Bring Out the Dead (1999) with one of Nicís better performances.

Scarfather
01-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Could I get your name and hospital please? I'm on vacation in Orlando at the end of the month and I want to avoid you.

bigred760
01-11-2008, 08:28 AM
This is now my personal motto :cool:

Been mine for years!! :D

vesaker
01-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I told her that they should make more movies about EMTs and nurses because it would probably be more interesting than a doctor's.

Scrubbs, although its from the comedic stand point, but i think this was the idea of the show to see all the crap Nurses and such have to put up with.

marcia brady
01-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't want to get into my long boring sad story but, I was in the Cleveland Metrocenter Hospital for over a month in 1996. Since that time I have the utmost gratitude and respect for nurses. I was never treated better in my life. I am eternally greatful for there kindness, and caring. They went above and beyond to make sure my baby and I were safe and comfortable and had everything we needed.
Doctors, on the other hand, well whatever.
Now my son wants to be a nurse when he's older. Or a professional football player.
God bless and keep on truckin. You've got a right to rave. And a show about nurses and EMTs would be good. Doctor's in real life are boring self obsessed arogant managers, barking out orders and blaming others.

isileth
01-12-2008, 02:05 PM
First of all I must admit that I do hate "hospital" movies because I find them improbable, such as when everybody is really really good, works for glory and not money, or gory, such as ER where everybody is living in hell and you ask yourself why they keep on working.
As regards nurses, they do a great job that I wouldn't be able to do, but I have always had bad experiences with them, because the ones I met in different Italian hospitals were, nearly always, rude or with an attitude that made me want to scream.
Once a nurse talked to my aunt and asked her for a bag like the one my Grandma had.
As a present, of course, with a mafia undertone like "if you want her to have a nicer treatment here".
Or the one that a few days ago was very rude with me during an exam, while the doctor was really nice.
Or the one at the ER, when my Grandma told him to be a more careful because her arm was broken, answered :"I didn't break it".

The Postmaster General
01-13-2008, 03:15 AM
DR - I've had a lot of bad experiences, both as a patient and as a professional, with nurses being overly patronizing or just indifferent. However, I've been good friends with many nurses. It's weird how that works. Obviously a very stressful job, and yeah, a bit more involved than they let it seem in the movies.

Check out ASSISTED LIVING, which, while not the best film, does show a fairly relevant look at non-hospital nursing.

DRbeauty
01-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Could I get your name and hospital please? I'm on vacation in Orlando at the end of the month and I want to avoid you.

Why are you an asshole? If you are, I will gladly give you all the info you need:p

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate every patient. Just the rude, manipulative, drug seeking, attention seeking, hateful fuckwads we get on an everyday basis.

Iinterestingly enough doctors and nurses are usually the worst patients.

RustyRazor
01-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Iinterestingly enough doctors and nurses are usually the worst patients.

That actually happens in all forms of business.
My cousin used to work at Kentucky Fried Chicken and the Colonel came in to get a 3 piece and some mashed potatoes.
She said he just wouldn't shut the fuck up, complaining about several of the herbs and spices missing from the chicken and then he threw a fit, nailing one of the fry cooks in the head with a breast.

RIP Colonel Sanders.

Tweek
01-16-2008, 12:02 AM
RIP Colonel Sanders.

I miss him every day.

Dorrito the Imp
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
My main understanding of nurses comes from watching the Silent Hill movie. It could be a quirky show.