PDA

View Full Version : When did we lose vampires from horror?

hrdude
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
This question has come about mainly due to Twilight and True Blood. Clearly Twilight is a teen drama which happens to feature vampires (who glitter in the sunlight??? What was the writer on when she thought of that?), and whilst Iím enjoying True Blood it definitely isnít horror.

I grew up loving vampires more than any of the other horror movie monsters, werewolves, zombies etc. Salemís Lot was the first book that featured vampires and even the í79 mini series creeped me out. Throw in the Hammer vampire films with Christopher Lee , classics like Near Dark and I was happy.

Since then genuine vampire horror films seem to have disappeared. Sure there have been some entertaining vampire films, From Dusk Till Dawn and Vampires spring to mind along with the Blade trilogy, but have we had a vampire film that horror fans can sink their teeth in.:D

Iím curious to know whether anyone agrees, disagrees, or can point me to some vampire horror in the last couple of decades that Iíll really get into.

Brendan M.
11-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Have no fear my friend, Chan-Wook Park of all people has a vampire movie due out soon with an original idea and concept. Its called Thirst. I also just checked out the trailers for Let the Right One In which also looks quite splendid and already managed to find a spot on IMDB's top 250 without even having been played outside festivals yet.

Those are 2 vamp flicks to look forward to and 2 is a much better number than 0.

g1ng3rsnap9ed
11-24-2008, 10:18 PM
I have never been a huge vampyre fan, it's a kewl concept that imo is never put to its full potential. I would like to see less sap and more blood in these types of films.

Blade Trinity sucks!!! :D

hrdude
11-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I've heard good things about Let The Right One In and I'm extremely interested in Park doing a Vampire flick. Gotta be more blood than sap in that!

MightyCelestial
11-24-2008, 11:18 PM
... it's a kewl concept that imo is never put to its full potential.
Yep.
something happened in Hollywood In other forms of fiction whereupon the over-all thought was that if it's just a basic down-to-earth drama as opposed to fantasy-based ( horror-creatures, sci-fi, etc.), then it's not worth putting any real intregrity into it's plotine or theme.

pablo_super1!
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Well actually a great vampire film came out last year. 30 Days of night which I thought was gonna be the film to revive the Vampire genre. Though it was a fantastic vampire film it hasn't brought better vampire films.

I don't exactly agree, though the Vampire films to come out lately have been mixed, there are some that stand out and are really great. It's impossible to make a vampire film on par with the classics like Dracula and Nosferartu, hell even The Lost Boys and From Dusk Til Dawn. So yes the quality of great vampire films has gone down, but there are still great ones out there.

Night Watch and Day Watch were great vampire films as is Shadow of the vampire.

I think Twilight looks okay, though it isn't focused on the vampire story as much as the love story and I think that's why people are so against it. I wish I am Legend would've gone for more of a vampire story than the freaks, since in the story their vampires not freaks (though I did like the film).

Cirque du Freak is coming out which os based off the stories of a Mapire and his assistant, They're great vampire books that are very violent and focus a lot of vampires. Though I think the film is going for more of a Harry Potter type of film, I definetly reccomend the books.

There's Bubba Nosferartu and the Curse of the She-Vampires coming, The Castlevania film, and Underworld Rise of the Lycans. There's also gonna be a live adaptation of Blood the Last Vampire the great animated vampire film, which if you haven't seen I definetly reccomend.

Let the Right one in came out in October and it looks fantastic, though Imdb isn't at all a reliable, that's already in the 250 so it's gotta be pretty good. It's gotten great reviews and it's got a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. here's the trailer.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/lettherightonein/

I definetly reccomend 13 Bullets by David Wellington and then it's sequel 99 Coffins. They're 2 of the best vampire novels I've read. They're fantastic, violent and very much focused on vampires.

http://www.brokentype.com/davidwellington/

LordSimen
11-25-2008, 11:08 AM
You can thank Anne Rice for this. While she did make more horrific stories than most, her fans were more obsessed over the love triangles than anything else in her stories.

Ratlehed
11-25-2008, 11:24 AM
You can thank Anne Rice for this. While she did make more horrific stories than most, her fans were more obsessed over the love triangles than anything else in her stories.

When Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt played vampires, the vampire films took a turn. Interview.... and the Reeves/Ryder Dracula changed the vampire genre more or less. Some good vamp flicks came after those though.

The Postmaster General
11-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Blade is killing them all.

wheresdonnie?
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
I have to say that I think True Blood is a great series, but yes the point about the lack of vampire horror films is a valid one. The last one I saw was probably The Thirst (the American one) and that was fun, but certainly no masterpiece. I agree that Anne Rice changed things by making them tragic figures, and also that Blade made vampires action fodder rather than anything scary. 30 Days of Night was a step in the right direction. The problem is that there is always going to be a young audience who are more interested in young waif-like actors sitting around looking moody.

Katel2
11-25-2008, 03:13 PM
True Blood is a great show, but I don't really enjoy vampires as horror. I can't think of many great movies. maybe
1. Near Dark
2. Salem's Lot
3. Nighstalker with Darrin Mcgavin
4. Martin
5.The Fearless Vampire Slayer
6. The Hunger
7. Vampire's Kiss
8. Nosferatu
9. Rabid
10. Night Watch/ Day Watch

alright, maybe there are a bunch of great vampire films

g1ng3rsnap9ed
11-25-2008, 04:51 PM
I agree that 30 Days of Night was great, I loved how the Vampyres had their own language-a great little extra trait.The Lost Boys and From Dusk Til Dawn were great also, but neither three of these films had scary Vampyres, I think that intelligent, blood-sucking corpses that have the ability to scale walls or sometimes fly could be used as a vessel for some very disturbing films that may jade even us Horror fans if executed properly. However, I have yet to come across such a film in this sub-genre.

deadeye
11-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Hmm, I think the first time I was unenthralled with a vampire movie because I didn't find it scary was the Dracula movie that had Frank Langella in the lead. But, my taste for vampires tends more towards the Hammer movies, so most of the modern vamp movies aren't my cup of tea. Exceptions to my rule are the original Salem's Lot (those Glick boys), Jon Carpenter's Vampires, and 30 days of Night. Near Dark too. Loved those. Enjoyed The Lost Boys, but found it more campy than scary.

The Postmaster General
11-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Do you guys think Buffy the Vampire Slayer played a part in any of this?

LordSimen
11-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Do you guys think Buffy the Vampire Slayer played a part in any of this?

Buffy was always a horror/fantasy show. So no, I don't really think it did.

hrdude
11-25-2008, 10:06 PM
For some reason writers and filmakers want to portray vampires as lost souls who really deep down inside want to live in harmony alongside humans.
I just want to see them as the undead thirsting for blood.

g1ng3rsnap9ed
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
How has Fright Night managed to go unannounced in this thread this long?

It was on the same level as Lost Boys imo, which is a good level to be on! Once again, not scary in the least,but a very fun film that never fails to entertain!

The Postmaster General
11-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Buffy was always a horror/fantasy show. So no, I don't really think it did.

Buffy is the exact example that hrdude speaks of - humanizing and romanticizing vampires. Twilight and True Blood are horror/fantasies too, unless you think vampires are real or something. Maybe I'm thinking more in terms of Angel, but come on, anything related to vampires that gets compared to "Beverly Hills 90210" is a pretty good place to start for examples of softening the vampire mythology.

I though Fright Night did get mentioned here, but realized I was thinking of a different thread. Great movie with a wicked bad vampire despite being comical in nature. Even the vampires in the Buffy movie weren't BFF material.

starcat
11-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Alot of it has to do with the cool factor. The movies of the last couple of decades have focused more on the cool factor of vampires instead of the monstrous vampire. For example, David and the boys screamed cool in the lost boys. The head vampire in the second Lost Boys was really trying for the cool factor. Spike and Angel from the Buffy series were cool. I thought Lestat was pretty cool. Frost in Blade... of course cool. Thats what made 30 Days of Night pretty scary, the vampires in that flick were totally not trying to be cool, they were just getting down to business.

hrdude
11-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Buffy is the exact example that hrdude speaks of - humanizing and romanticizing vampires. Twilight and True Blood are horror/fantasies too, unless you think vampires are real or something. Maybe I'm thinking more in terms of Angel, but come on, anything related to vampires that gets compared to "Beverly Hills 90210" is a pretty good place to start for examples of softening the vampire mythology.

Buffy is a good example. I guess I'm looking broadly across a number of mediums, fiction, TV and movies, and how they've portrayed vampires. Even if their orginal intention wasn't an out an out horror film/book/TV show they still have contributed to the softening up of vampires.

Alot of it has to do with the cool factor. The movies of the last couple of decades have focused more on the cool factor of vampires instead of the monstrous vampire. For example, David and the boys screamed cool in the lost boys. The head vampire in the second Lost Boys was really trying for the cool factor. Spike and Angel from the Buffy series were cool. I thought Lestat was pretty cool. Frost in Blade... of course cool. Thats what made 30 Days of Night pretty scary, the vampires in that flick were totally not trying to be cool, they were just getting down to business.

Good point starcat, I guess vampires are a hell of lot easier to "cool up" than Zombies.

The Postmaster General
11-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Count Yorga, if I'm thinking of the right movie here, was pretty cool and this was 60s. I think there's always been cool vampires, but I think vampire movies lately have maybe focused more on things from the vampires point of view, as if we can relate to them. Near Dark, and The Lost Boys were still outsider's looking in on some scary vampires. I haven't seen 30 Days of Night yet, but isn't that from Josh Hartnett's POV of trying to escape vampires?

g1ng3rsnap9ed
11-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Yes it was.

30 Days is a great flick to pop in with popcorn between your legs (in a bowl of course :) )and the surround sound turned up.

TheHutch23
11-26-2008, 10:41 PM
The head vampire in 30 Days Of Night made me think so much of Tal, the lead singer from Rammstein.

I do personally prefer a cunning vampire, which is a trait that would definetly come off as "cool" when presented as a character. Through and through, vampires are predators. Film has offered us up the parasitic predators such as 30 Days of Night, where they sweep through taking out everything in their path. We also have been presented with the cunning hunter, who know exactly what they have to do, in which order, and in what amount of time, to successfully obtain their prey. Again, perfectly content with both styles of vampires, but I do prefer the altered human treatment.

Just watched Let The Right One In last night, and I thought it was fantastic.

Servo
11-27-2008, 04:08 AM
When good filmmakers stopped using them. Add to the fact there isn't much left in terms of treading new ground when it comes to the Vampire mythos. I haven't seen Let the Right One In yet, but I'm dying to.

Vampire films suck so much now, I'm more desperate for a vampire movie that's good, whether or not it's horror or drama, just give me something fresh and entertaining.

Frankly, I'd like to see a film that embraces both views of the vampire - the beastly kind and the romantic kind (I personally feel Buffy did a good job at this in the earlier seasons).

A great vampire film that I absolutely adore is Shadow of the Vampire. God, such a great film.

The Postmaster General
11-27-2008, 04:31 AM
A great vampire film that I absolutely adore is Shadow of the Vampire. God, such a great film.

Good call.

I know Bram Stoker's Dracula was brought up earlier, but what did everyone think of that? To me, it was a fine balance of the two POV, but mostly I think it did well because Dracula and the vampires there were made to be horrific, and they also made him out to be something of a pimp. Plus Oldman did a great job. I know it was a more romantic version of vampires, but to me it is still different than this new breed in cinema.

MightyCelestial
11-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Part of the problem is just the fact the the horror genre has lost most of the horror.
Slashers stories are insanely laughable these days, and share along with zombies of just being gorey. Zombies also don't seem to inspire fright. Not that they can't be scary; writers just don't seem to want to put any effort in writing 'em in such a manner ( 28 Days Later is a rare exception & it's effort was at least mildly successful).
Werewolves seem more like target fodder for action-oriented flix like Underworld & Van Helsing.
And on & on.
I love the idea of the horror genre,
but these days, for some reason, writer's can't seem to equate the idea of frightening to horror any more. To scare, i.e. " to horrorfy" is no longer the goal.

g1ng3rsnap9ed
11-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Werewolves have become scareless fodder for the likes of Helsing, and Underworld. I couldn't stand to watch either one of them-both were unbelievable pieces of crap. If we plan to give Horror a come-back (Which I seriously doubt will ever happen.) then we need to shake things up pretty hard.

teenkiller
11-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I think they try too hard to make vampires the tragic hero. I never really cared for the subgenre anyway though. Not even the "classic" Bela Lugosi flick. Never even cared to check out the old Hammer films either, even with Christopher Lee in the role. I just never cared for their mythology. Stakes, garlic, not being able to see their reflection. Of course every vampire film nowadays changes something about that now just so they can include the line "Forget what you already think you know about vampires. That's only in the movies." There were a few that managed to catch my attention like FDTD, Lost Boys, Fright Night, and even John Carpenter's Vampires was decent. They were hardly straight horror films though.

Twilight looks like emo bullshit.

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.

snoopmish
11-27-2008, 01:03 PM

I am a huge fan of the Vampire Chronicles and I never was into it because of the "love triangles"....I never even thought of it that way. I loved how the stories were told from the vampire's point of view. Granted after around "Memnoch The Devil" I haven't read anymore but I never really thought of any of those as "love stories" more of seeing life through a vampire's eyes, what it is like to feed and kill, who they choose to kill etc. That's why I loved the books.

As to when it really started to change....maybe around Buffy. The whole Angel hero thing and the love story between the two. This whole thing in Twilight of the vamps "sparkling in the sun" is just freakin ridiculous. I think it has a lot to do with the writers religion.....devote Mormon, that she turned them more into like angels or something.

Anyway.....30 Days of Night was cool in showng vicious vampires, and at least with Buffy they still had the majority of vamps being killers.....but yea, we need more really cool vamp films as opposed to this Vampire Hero thing. That only works for specific characters such as Angel, Spike and Blade. And Lestat was never a "hero", he killed all the time. He was only a hero in as he fought other vampires or entities but he never stopped being a killer and never really became like a protector of humans or anything.

snoopmish
11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Werewolves have become scareless fodder for the likes of Helsing, and Underworld. I couldn't stand to watch either one of them-both were unbelievable pieces of crap. If we plan to give Horror a come-back (Which I seriously doubt will ever happen.) then we need to shake things up pretty hard.

Don't forget we have "The Wolfman" coming up. That should give werewolves their dignity back. As for Underworld, the werewolves weren't just fodder to me in it and with the new film, Rise of the Lychans, we will see more of the respect that werewolves deserve. Especially in the character of Lucian. My opinion anyway.

As far horror getting a come back, it's just that everything has been done and with all these stupid remakes it seems no one has an original idea anymore. There are still a few major stand outs but maybe someone will come along and do these films right again.

deadeye
11-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Just had the funniest conversation that sort of relates to this topic...

A good friend of mine, 44 female, goes to see Twilight. Calls me up and moans, Why can't my husband be romantic like that? I can hear her husband in the background say, Because I don't have a cold boner.

I thought I was going to piss myself laughing. But the fact I know someone who doesn't like horror movies and goes to Twilight and loves it because she thinks it is the most romantic thing she's watched this year, this is a sign of the downfall of the horror/predator vampire in the cinema. The "twilight" indeed.

nayland
11-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Have no fear my friend, Chan-Wook Park of all people has a vampire movie due out soon with an original idea and concept. Its called Thirst. I also just checked out the trailers for Let the Right One In which also looks quite splendid and already managed to find a spot on IMDB's top 250 without even having been played outside festivals yet.

Those are 2 vamp flicks to look forward to and 2 is a much better number than 0.

I too am looking forward to these. Especially Chan's Thirst. We lost vamps from horror when it became cool to be one. This goes back like to The Lost Boys. Long hair,riding motorcycles. Look at Buffy... Can you even take a vampire serious after that? Twilight??? Could it be the next Harry Potter?
We do have some good ones though. From Dusk, Thirty Days Of Night(there is no way i would want to be one of those fucking things). Even the Blade movies(which i like). Since when did Vampires start throwing raves???

MoreParamedics
11-28-2008, 01:54 PM
I too am looking forward to these. Especially Chan's Thirst. We lost vamps from horror when it became cool to be one. This goes back like to The Lost Boys. Long hair,riding motorcycles. Look at Buffy... Can you even take a vampire serious after that? Twilight??? Could it be the next Harry Potter?
We do have some good ones though. From Dusk, Thirty Days Of Night(there is no way i would want to be one of those fucking things). Even the Blade movies(which i like). Since when did Vampires start throwing raves???

Amen. Recent movies have made vampires too kewl. They need to focus less on the super speed/strength, immortality, and special powers and focus on the negatives.

Vampires are soulless, barely in control, and blood thirsty corpses who come back from the dead to kill their friends and family. Vampires(and all undead) are an affront to all living things. Being undead should be presented as a fate worse than death.

MightyCelestial
11-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Amen. Recent movies have made vampires too kewl. They need to focus less on the super speed/strength, immortality, and special powers and focus on the negatives.

Vampires are soulless, barely in control, and blood thirsty corpses who come back from the dead to kill their friends and family. Vampires(and all undead) are an affront to all living things.Being undead should be presented as a fate worse than death.
That sums it up perfectly.

LordSimen
11-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Look at Buffy... Can you even take a vampire serious after that?

Yeah, I can.

Brendan M.
11-28-2008, 07:02 PM
I got back from seeing Let the Right One In. I'll post a review up for it in a few days, but right now I have a lot of school work I have to get done this weekend. Let me leave you all with this though; its definitely one of the best vampire movies to come out in a long time.

countchocula
11-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Romanticism has been an integral part of vampire lore since the 19th century. It's nothing new. Fluff like Twilight isn't new either. Vampire fluff is relatively new, but the love stories shouldn't surprise anyone. I hate any and all "romantic" bloodsucker romps. I want my vampires to be evil fucking monsters.

MoreParamedics
11-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Romanticism has been an integral part of vampire lore since the 19th century. It's nothing new. Fluff like Twilight isn't new either. Vampire fluff is relatively new, but the love stories shouldn't surprise anyone. I hate any and all "romantic" bloodsucker romps. I want my vampires to be evil fucking monsters.

I understand that romance has been common in vampire mythology for a long time, but they were still generally considered undead monsters. However, the 00's has been the decade of the friendly neighborhood vampire.

Brendan M.
11-28-2008, 11:10 PM
I hate any and all "romantic" bloodsucker romps. I want my vampires to be evil fucking monsters.

When you say monsters, does that mean they have to all be like in From Dusk Till Dawn or 30 Days of Night? Because most vampires that appeal to me are the ones that are very human-like and are seeking out their own selfish desires. I think even Dracula and Nosferatu had these same undertones.

But I think the thing that appeals to me most in old monster movies is that the films made the monsters more sympathetic than the human protagonists. Even though their actions were evil, their intentions still seemed justified because what they did was beyond their control and therefore that made their stories into tragedies in some ways. These ideas were probably at their strongest in Frankenstein, but I felt they were also present in Dracula.

I think vampire romance is okay, just as long as it doesn't read like a paperback novel your mom would pick up at the grocery store. Love is a human trait and after all, vampires were once human. That's what makes it interesting for me.

dellamorte dellamore
11-29-2008, 08:44 AM
The last great Vamp film i can think of is Habit . It featured some intriguing concepts and you never really know what is real or what only exists in the main character's imagination , or even if their is a scourge of vampirism infecting Nyc .

It's bold and original even if the production values are lacking , the director certainly makes up for it with creativity , a great story , and haunting performances by the two leads .

The Watch films are over the top , but if you prefer a more intimate and unsettling portrayal of the vamp mythology , Habit comes highly recommended .

Also , i enjoyed the Twins Effect for some goofy vamp action , you can't take it seriously for a second , and that's it's charm .

g1ng3rsnap9ed
11-29-2008, 09:03 AM
What I think needs to be done is have a real Horror director write a balls-to-the-wall R-rated vampyre love-bird romance. For example, Twilight is most likely a commentary on teen dating, this could be a commentary on getting married.

FilmJunkie1114
11-29-2008, 02:28 PM
If you are pissed about the shitty turn vampire movies have taken, write to this address:

Anne Rice
1239 First St.
New Orleans, LA 70130

g1ng3rsnap9ed
11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Did anyone see that she's now writing a book about the Lestat finding God? Wtf!? Why would he care if there was a God or not, and why would we care either way?

I started her book the Witching Hour-set it down a hundred or so pages in. I may pick it up again someday though.

Henry Lee Lucas
11-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Blade is killing them all.
the pimp he is!

my main thing with vampire flicks is what the fuck is up with them always hissing!? its god freakin annoying.

anne rice is batshit mad.

snoopmish
11-29-2008, 11:25 PM
the pimp he is!

my main thing with vampire flicks is what the fuck is up with them always hissing!? its god freakin annoying.

anne rice is batshit mad.

Anne Rice became "born again" that's why she has flaked out on her writing. That's about the time I quit reading her stuff.

dellamorte dellamore
11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
What I think needs to be done is have a real Horror director write a balls-to-the-wall R-rated vampyre love-bird romance. For example, Twilight is most likely a commentary on teen dating, this could be a commentary on getting married.

Dude , i'm telling you , Habit is the way to go to wash out all halitosis from the tired vamp genre . It's the anti Twilight in every imaginable way , and yes there is a romance aspect , just watch it man , and be amazed at it's it's low budget grit and brutal honesty .

g1ng3rsnap9ed
11-30-2008, 12:04 PM
I'll have to check that out, sounds like a grand time. Is it low-budget like Behind the Mask (as in moderately low) or Evil-Dead low-budget?(As in eight buds just going out and making a movie.)

countchocula
11-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Habit felt lifeless to me. It's a strong film, and the premise is fresh, but the mechanics are flimsy. It's very amateurish. Fessenden had yet to find his groove as a filmmaker. The pacing is lethargic, and in my opinion, the running time is a bit bloated. Ginger, to answer your question, the budget is of the shoestring variety.

Vampires and The Night Flier are the best vampire flicks from the 90's. There is none of that sentimental bullshit. Both films are, in fact, balls-to-the-wall.

g1ng3rsnap9ed
11-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Night Flier was based on a King story, wasn't it?

countchocula
11-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Yep. I am somewhat notorious for pimping The Night Flier on the boards. No one ever talks about it, but it's one of the best King adaptations out there. I've probably watched it 100 times.

fuglystick
11-30-2008, 06:54 PM
This question has come about mainly due to Twilight and True Blood. Clearly Twilight is a teen drama which happens to feature vampires (who glitter in the sunlight??? What was the writer on when she thought of that?), and whilst Iím enjoying True Blood it definitely isnít horror.

I grew up loving vampires more than any of the other horror movie monsters, werewolves, zombies etc. Salemís Lot was the first book that featured vampires and even the í79 mini series creeped me out. Throw in the Hammer vampire films with Christopher Lee , classics like Near Dark and I was happy.

Since then genuine vampire horror films seem to have disappeared. Sure there have been some entertaining vampire films, From Dusk Till Dawn and Vampires spring to mind along with the Blade trilogy, but have we had a vampire film that horror fans can sink their teeth in.:D

Iím curious to know whether anyone agrees, disagrees, or can point me to some vampire horror in the last couple of decades that Iíll really get into.

I'm a bit late with coming to this thread, so forgive me if I go to the original post.

Although there are a few that I really liked, vampire films have never held any special appeal to me. Mainly, I think, because vampire films (generally) follow established themes that I don't find all that interesting, and they are definitive of vampire mythology. These include religious overtones and dogma, fascination with blood, drama and melodrama, tragedy, romance, immortality, perpetual youth, the powerful but misunderstood loner/artist/rebel, and aversion to light/sunlight, among others. Vampire themes, in general, appeal to an audience that is predisposed to find those themes attractive, which is why they are so popular amongst the "goth" community.

None of those themes are bad, but they can easily cross the line into melodramatic/overly romanticized crud. Writers and film makers have simply taken an established character type, and turned up the volume of some traits while disregarding others. Vampires aren't the only characters being declawed and sissified--Skinwalkers was an example of werewolves being prettied up like runway models. As long as producers can make a buck off of their target demographic, classic horror staples will continue to be watered down. It will take a terrific effort by a film maker to (re)redefine vampires to swing them back to traditional horror roots, much like it took LOTR to bring fantasy films back in vogue.

g1ng3rsnap9ed
12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Yep. I am somewhat notorious for pimping The Night Flier on the boards. No one ever talks about it, but it's one of the best King adaptations out there. I've probably watched it 100 times.

Ahh I see.

I pimp out Anchor Bay and the Howling 3 so I get what you mean. :p

LordSimen
12-05-2008, 05:09 PM

Fuck. Yes. Countchocula, you are the man. The Night Flier is the pure definition of a film that doesn't get as much love as it deserves. :D

Gilpesh
12-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Clearly the vampire was lost from horror when the undersexed housewives figured out that... vampires = ultimate bad boy to change into a nice guy to marry

I hate the romantic vampire that is just looking for love... also creepy that the guy would be hundreds of years old and the woman is pretty young... but yet Hugh Hefner is creepy.

I don't remember what my point was...

Soulburn420
12-06-2008, 11:00 AM

I think your wish has been granted ginger. Check out the Wolfman official site. That, hands down, has to be the sickest looking werewolf in history(in a good way). Oh, and if that wasn't enough, Rick Baker is doing the effects. THE Rick Baker. Enough said.

g1ng3rsnap9ed
12-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I didn't know Baker was doing the effects, that has me looking forward to this even moreso than I already was!! I'm checking out the website right now.(Or atleast one of them.)

http://www.thewolfmanmovie.com/

ZMoney08
12-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I think 30 Days of Night was heading in the right direction with the vampires just being viscous creatures out for blood but the ending to that movie was just so cheesy and horrible I have pretty much forgotten the rest of the movie.

LordSimen
12-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Really? I thought the ending was the best part of that movie.

g1ng3rsnap9ed
12-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I liked the ending, even though it did seem a tad cheezy imo.

By the way, am I the only one that's really glad that comic-book movies are so accepted with today's audience? I mean look at all the great films that have emerged from panels just in the last year: Iron-Man, 30 Days of Night, The Dark Knight, Hellboy 2,etc. I'm sure that I'm forgetting some that I will undoubtedly regret not mentioning, but you get my point.

Ratlehed
12-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Subspecies is a very good and underappreciated vampire series. Check it out if you havent.

SchizoidManiac
12-21-2008, 11:52 AM
My true love has never lied in vampire movies, the ones im most familiar with are movies like Love at First Bite, Dracula Dead and Loving it, From Dusk Til Dawn, none scary, and to me , although against popular belief, was very dissapointed in 30 Days of Night, and its because in my mind I had built it up to be this big bad vampire movie, and again to me it failed.

Vampire movies, from what i understood have also had the love factor in it. Dracula had always had a mortal lover.

At least thats what i had thought.