PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Earle Haley - A Comeback

Drewza89
12-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Jackie Earle Haley - You're going to be hearing that name in the coming year. If it sounds familiar, then you probably remember him from his roles in The Bad News Bears in 1976 or Breaking Away in 1979. After those films his star faded and he was eventually acting in schlock like Maniac Cop 3 in 1993. Following that low-point of his acting career, the work stopped coming. He then worked as a pizza delivery guy/limo driver and later founded his own production company that made television commercials. While in pre-production on All the King's Men, Sean Penn and Steve Zaillian were looking for an actor for a certain part. Penn remembered Jackie from a 1983 Broadway play the two acted in. When Penn suggested Haley, Zaillian pulled a piece of paper from his pocket and looked at the name he'd scribbled down just the day before: Jackie Earle Haley. They eventually tracked him down and after 13 years out of the business, Haley sent in an audition tape. He got the job and it started one of Hollywood's best comeback stories. The next year Haley would be nominated for an Oscar for his work in Little Children. In 2009, he will play Rorschach in the highly anticipated movie The Watchmen and he will also appear in Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island.
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/1480/jackieearlehaleyjx7.jpg
Here's a great article about him from a couple of years ago:
Link (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1551413,00.html)

dennisv
12-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Watchmen will definitely get him to "A Star status" for sure. Can't wait for what will become of him. I have a feeling he'll pull a positive Robert Downey Jr. Kinda thing... or perhaps he already did. ;)

Drewza89
12-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I have a feeling he'll pull a positive Robert Downey Jr. Kinda thing... or perhaps he already did. ;)

I was thinking about RDJ when I posted this. I hope Jackie's comeback is just as successful.

fooknasty
12-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Watchmen will definitely get him to "A Star status" for sure. Can't wait for what will become of him. I have a feeling he'll pull a positive Robert Downey Jr. Kinda thing... or perhaps he already did. ;)

I doubt Watchmen will get him to star status, considering you never even get to see his face.

He is a very competent actor, but not on the level of 'A' list or even one of those beloved actors that just kinda flies under the radar.

QUENTIN
12-26-2008, 03:26 PM
1.) We'll see under what conditions Watchmen is even released.
2.) Haley's comeback was in Little Children, in which he gave the best performance in one of the year's best movies and received an Oscar nomination for it.
3.) He's not handsome, so will likely never be an A-lister. At best he can hope for John C. Reilly/Philip Seymour Hoffman status, but even that is kind of a stretch.
4.) Gerard Butler was the star of 300, a bigger movie, a bigger role, and you see his face. Two years later and even he's not exactly Tom Cruise.

Haley's proved himself to be a great actor and I hope he continues to find work, but I think the idea that he'll be a "star" is little more than highly unlikely wishful thinking.

Roy Batty
12-28-2008, 11:26 AM
I doubt Watchmen will get him to star status, considering you never even get to see his face.

Have you ever read Watchmen? Because his mask does get taken off and when he doesn't wear a mask his true character comes out which will be able to show Haley's true talent.

fooknasty
12-28-2008, 04:18 PM
I am actually reading it right now, so I haven't finished the whole thing.

Regardless, Haley will never be 'A' status, or even on the same level as Hoffman, Reily, Buschemi, etc.

therealjohng
12-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Remember when he had a comeback with Little Children and got an Oscar nomination for it?

drc5145
01-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't think he'll reach A status but as therealjohng pointed out, Little Children was his comeback. Now he's just making use of the chance he had and taking full advantage of it. I'd like to think Watchmen will be his biggest profile movie ever in his career. His performance will remain to be seen but if he can capture the essence of Rorschach in the movie, it would be pretty damn impressive and insures that he gains even more attention.

And that goes without the fact that he's acting in a Martin Scorsese picture.