PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Craigslist ad

ilovemovies
10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
In craigslist I found this:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tfr/1412907264.html

It's an ad for the movie Burlesque. I know there very well could be scams posted in craigslist and I am a bit wearisome about this for two reasons:

1. It links to a trailer on youtube. Since the movie hasn't even started filming yet (it films in November) there obviously can't be a trailer for the movie. And according to some, this so called trailer just shows footage of a Christina Aguilera concert. Plus, the music in the so called trailer isn't even from any broadway show, it's from Chicago.

2. Would a big hollywood movie even use craigslist to begin with?

But on the otherhand, then I wonder, how can this be a scam? What can they possibly gain from having people send their headshots/resumes?

So what do you guys think? Do you think I should try and send my pic in? Or is this clearly a scam?

I'm thinking I'll probably send it in since there is no harm in doing so and if they ask for any money from me I'll know it's definitely a scam.

Scarface98.9
10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
It does sound a bit fishy to be honest, though nothing that screams out "SCAM!"

Some big budget features have used craigslist to cast for one line roles and background extras, though hardly the types to justify spending $750 a day. If they start asking for money, that'll be the red flag but just be on your guard a bit after sending a headshot

Servo
10-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Could be. I found the same ad here in Texas. It may not seem like they have anything to gain [I]at this point[I] but sometimes once you go a little further into the process they could be asking for your credit card info. I dunno, just my experience with Craigslist. It's a crap shoot.

Suvlaco
10-17-2009, 12:29 AM
The e-mail address looks iffy. I doubt any decent production company would be using Gmail as their email address. It's not even a redirect to Gmail...

Pentangeli
10-17-2009, 04:59 AM
Casting couch scam. And it wouldn't be the first.

Imsomuchbetter
10-17-2009, 10:07 AM
In craigslist I found this:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tfr/1412907264.html

It's an ad for the movie Burlesque. I know there very well could be scams posted in craigslist and I am a bit wearisome about this for two reasons:

1. It links to a trailer on youtube. Since the movie hasn't even started filming yet (it films in November) there obviously can't be a trailer for the movie. And according to some, this so called trailer just shows footage of a Christina Aguilera concert. Plus, the music in the so called trailer isn't even from any broadway show, it's from Chicago.

2. Would a big hollywood movie even use craigslist to begin with?

But on the otherhand, then I wonder, how can this be a scam? What can they possibly gain from having people send their headshots/resumes?

So what do you guys think? Do you think I should try and send my pic in? Or is this clearly a scam?

I'm thinking I'll probably send it in since there is no harm in doing so and if they ask for any money from me I'll know it's definitely a scam.

I found a potential crew through craigslist for something I`m hopefully doing next summer, but a large project by a major company would never do that. I`d say that`s an identity fraud scam. Some people are surprisingly detailed in their resumes (where they live, phone numbers, where they went to school etc). It`s not that difficult to take out loans or apply for credit cards when you have that kind of information.

ilovemovies
10-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't have a resume at the moment so I wouldn't be sending them one. I'd just be sending them a snapshot of myself. So I don't think there is a way we you steal someone's identity through that way.

AceD
10-19-2009, 02:11 AM
This may or may not be a casting couch scam, but it's clearly some sort of scam.

Headhunters and recruiters do this all the time to boost their portfolio. It happens on a lot of the PR/Marketing ads on Craigslist. What they do is add your resume to a portfolio to show potential clients/employers, and since neither will check very many of them out, it works.

I know that in Chicago, NYC, Miami and Toronto major film studios will use Craigslist to recruit extras; I'm not sure about Philly or other cities. But that's about the extent of what a real studio will do using Craigslist.