PDA

View Full Version : computer issue

athf1980
07-28-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure if these is aloud here but if not I"m sorry and don't mean any harm

I'm looking for a great computer clean up tool for hp laptop to help it work faster. something like regclean pro or is that good one

KcMsterpce
07-29-2011, 01:21 AM
For registry issues, use CCLEANER (http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER).

In terms of making the computer "run faster", it's tough to recommend too much without a proper diagnosis of your PC. Not just the KIND of computer/laptop it is, but the OS it's running, RAM/CPU/hard drive specs, what programs are installed and how they're all interacting with each other. Stuff like that.

athf1980
07-29-2011, 06:39 PM
i really don't have anything install that is huge other then key things. I just use it for internet use. thanks for the help. i use the newest windows on my lap top

Erroneous
07-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Its called a MAC. Windows sucks. HP sucks. I have both. Hate Windows.

Bondgirl
07-29-2011, 10:39 PM
When l was looking for a new computer alot of people wanted me to get a MAC
it is because this type of computer keeps viruses at bay
But when l priced them it turned out quite expensive so l opted out
The computer l have now has had no problems and it is a Windows 7
if you keep updating your virus ststem you will never have any problems

it is when we dont update our vieus system every now and then you will not have problems with ffreezing or the computer crashing

athf1980
07-30-2011, 12:51 AM
computer is not crashing or running slow other then internet. i just wanna figure why my internet is slow

KcMsterpce
07-30-2011, 02:45 AM
computer is not crashing or running slow other then internet. i just wanna figure why my internet is slow

If it's internet, it likely has less to do with your PC than with network issues.

That's a whole new can of worms.

There's no magic word or program that can magically solve everything.

And stupid "get a Mac" comments are not a right answer, either.

athf1980
07-30-2011, 05:26 PM
true that and thanks for helping me out.

Erroneous
07-31-2011, 12:00 AM
And stupid "get a Mac" comments are not a right answer, either.

The fuck it isn't. Do yourself a favor, with all the time and money you will waste protecting and fixing your shitty windows programs on your shitty hp or toshiba computers, get a mac. it is a case of pay now pay later. you are going to pay one way or another.

Trust me, I know. I have spend on new computers, virus programs, registry programs, maleware products, having to reformat drives and other professional services. I have had computers get viruses when I was not on any sort of ad sites or open any dangerous emails. My wife has a mac and goes on the same exact sites that she uses on her old windows computer and has not had one issue with the mac. the windows computer failed all the time.

KcMsterpce
08-01-2011, 03:21 AM
The fuck it isn't. (etc...)

You talk to me like I don't own a Mac.
There are good and bad things about both.

But going into a debate is about as refreshing and as much a breakthrough as a liberal telling a right-wing they're wrong and/or trying to convert a devout athiest to Christianity - or vice/versa.
It goes fucking nowhere.

You argue about "shitty Toshiba" and other brand names. I build my own PCs and I know what I'm doing. That's part of the problem with people who own PCs and buy pre-built and/or build their shit without knowing what they're doing.
Moreover, part of the premium price of a Mac isn't just the name (but a majority is - further raised by the great marketing scheme) - but the fact that the hardware they provide is pre-assembled and pre-approved for Mac OS. You get less "uber" specs by a landslide in the pricerange, but there's more assurance of a more streamlined and proficient product right out the gate.
There are countless hardware options for PCs, which makes compatibility issues exponentially more difficult to troubleshoot.

That's one of the many benefits of a Mac. I'll refrain from Mac drawbacks. Typically in this kind of scenario any arguments against a Mac are proven wrong by flimsy misinformation mixed with half-truths.
I'm going to shut up here and say NOTHING else because I don't want to derail this thread and turn it into another one of those fucking "Mac/PC" battles that goes absolutely nowhere.

Bondgirl
08-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Okay there can be another reason why your computer is running slow it can be that you are downloading too many movies or shows
Sometimes you can be limited on what you can download
Also have you ever thought about deleting certain areas in the C drive l know this can be overloaded with alot of crap
Also you could get a technition to have a look at the problem

I

athf1980
08-03-2011, 10:47 PM
found out why my internet was slow. my cable modem took a dump.

CuatroDiablos
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
There are no viruses for a Mac cause no one cares enough to make one for it...not because of their great security....typical retarded Mac user.

I recommend to back up your files and perform a reformat , then install a clean copy of Windows.

Bondgirl
08-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Geez l know myself that sometimes the modem will slip abit and the cord will come out and it is where you cant get any reception or internet

Sometimes rebooting this once or twice will get this going

athf1980
08-05-2011, 12:38 AM
mine modem died. i had to get a new one

KcMsterpce
08-05-2011, 03:06 AM
mine modem died. i had to get a new one

Glad you found out your problem.

Oh, also for future reference... if your internet seems really slow and/or the connection fails, do the following in this order:

turn off your computer
turn off/unplug the modem

wait about 20 seconds

turn the modem on
turn the computer back on

- many times, that fixes things.

athf1980
08-05-2011, 06:30 PM
yep.. i realized it was modem when it took 20 min. to download 13 mb song on my x-box live stuff and i could not even watch videos on my dashboard. now everything is very crisp

then did all the stuff you posted but nothing worked so i called midco they tested and did not even work on their lap top.

internet speed went from 1.9 to 30

Bondgirl
08-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Well it is good you fixed the problem the computer can be a pain sometimes when you are not sure what is wrong with it
I was told by a technition that turning off the modem and computer for a couple mins can make a diffence

The Postmaster General
08-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Glad you found out your problem.

Oh, also for future reference... if your internet seems really slow and/or the connection fails, do the following in this order:

turn off your computer
turn off/unplug the modem

wait about 20 seconds

turn the modem on
turn the computer back on

- many times, that fixes things.

And if there's a router or wifi point in there, it sometimes helps to restart that in with all the rest. I'd like to make some sort of script, though I'd believe something is out there like that already, that can just reset all your network devices. It's always a pain running about the house restarting everything, and this really can't be the best option...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2570/3683901996_55c0a2057b.jpg

KcMsterpce
08-06-2011, 12:17 PM
. I'd like to make some sort of script, though I'd believe something is out there like that already, that can just reset all your network devices. It's always a pain running about the house restarting everything, and this really can't be the best option...

Well, depending on what Windows you're using there is a way to reset your modem and kick it back into better performance.
Unfortunately, SP3 for XP and Windows 7 makes it more difficult and the "troubleshooter" is a POS.
It's been so long since I've done it I don't even remember how! What an anti-clamactic post!

In related news, if you leave your computer on for long amounts of time and things are running real slow, try this link's advice:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/clear-windows-7-cache/

The Postmaster General
08-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Is that internal modems or does it work for the rental boxes? I'm mac-centric throughout the house anyway, but still wondering. Most of the time it's the modem that's the culprit, but I still reset everything when I can just because I figure it's the most fool proof. I generally don't reset the computer though - just the network devices. I routinely shut down my computer when it's not being used for stretches, though - I think that helps.

KcMsterpce
08-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Is that internal modems or does it work for the rental boxes? I'm mac-centric throughout the house anyway, but still wondering. Most of the time it's the modem that's the culprit, but I still reset everything when I can just because I figure it's the most fool proof.

It could be any large number of things, but modems also need to be unclogged and reset every once in a while. It's more common of an issue if you are looking at tons of sites, using torrents (since it's always looking for more seeders and leechers are looking for you) and stuff like that. Overloaded memory buffers.
As for wireless boxes; they can be unreliable and lose connection at any random time. That's the way it goes.
Network hubs/routers; inconsistent hiccups, much like wireless routers. I notice it isn't as consistent as a crappy wireless router, which when bad is BAAAAD.

The Postmaster General
08-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Oh, I know about packets backing up the drain (that's as technical as my understanding of it) -- I was just asking if the thing you were talking about works for external modem - resetting it from the computer. That seems pretty sophisticated.