PDA

View Full Version : Screw the Oscars..

elBryan
03-28-2002, 05:06 AM
Seriously, who cares about 'em..? I don't.. You can give me all that crap about how it's such an honor for them, blah, blah, blah, but when it comes down to it, what do any of the film critics know about movies that we don't..?

Film critics don't all agree with each other, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I rarely agree with any film critics more than half of the time..

I can't figure out why it's such a big deal for everyone to receive an award based off of what a bunch of people who watch too many movies think about your work..

When it comes down to it, the Academy Awards are just another way for the networks to sell advertisment slots for high dollars.. Forget that.. I can read about it on the internet after they're over, and still not care..

I quit liking the Oscars a long time before American Beauty won all the awards last year... my vote for American Beauty was for the Razzie..

Horror whore
03-28-2002, 06:15 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by elBryan:
my vote for American Beauty was for the Razzie..</font>

Me too! That is one of the most overrated movies ever...(4/10)

ColinM
03-28-2002, 08:37 AM
elBryan, you are aware that there are more than just film critics in the Academy. There are actors, directors, producers, etc, and probably other moviefans.

I don't think anyone on this board takes the Academy too seriously, but I still enjoy following the Oscars.

And I think you guys are so wrong about Amercican Beauty (10/10) that it's not even funny.

Scarface98.9
03-28-2002, 09:52 AM
i always thought the Academy awards are just glorified opinions. but I watch it mindlessly every year anyways. but its why I love the Golden Schmoes

Scrunch
03-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Are some film critics in the Academy? For real? I thought it was only industry people?

As for why are the Oscars important? Hollywood glams up the biggest for this one. Everything is bigger. Why? Because the people in the industry think of this as the be all end all and therefore treat it as such.

Therefore people get into watching the Oscars. Heck, my parents watched the Oscars and they go to the movies literally ONCE a year. Though this year my dad had surgery so they saw a bunch more on video than normal.