PDA

View Full Version : What's the first movie with the word" f*ck" in it

CWM
04-07-2002, 10:55 AM
Does anybody know this?

My guess would be MIDNIGHT COWBOY, since it was the first film to get and X-rating. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't be sure ...

Mr. Orange
04-07-2002, 12:31 PM
If I remember correctly it is "Who's Afraid Of a Virgina Wolff?" Starring Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. It is about a unhappily married coulpe.

Lazy Boy
04-07-2002, 04:23 PM
I've never seen Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, so I wouldn't know if it had "fuck" in it. You may be right.

However, I believe Midnight Cowboy is the first film (as far as I've seen) to use that word. Dustin Hoffman says it soon after he is introduced, when he and Jon Voight are walking by the horse-drawn carriage.

QUENTIN
04-07-2002, 04:48 PM
According to Roger Ebert's Questions From The Movie Answerman the first known use of the word in a motion picture both occured in the early 1930's. Midnight Cowboy and Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? were both far later than that... Most of what could be done, language, full-frontal nudity, violence, etc... occured first before 1940 in lesser-known films.

CWM
04-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Thx guys, I guess some facts are simply hard to trace ...

Professor Falk
04-07-2002, 08:46 PM
Another contender is the French film The Story of a Three Day Pass, directed by Melvin Van Peebles. It was made in '68, a year before Midnight Cowboy.

Irene Manor
04-07-2002, 10:34 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Professor Falk:
Another contender is the French film The Story of a Three Day Pass, directed by Melvin Van Peebles. It was made in '68, a year before Midnight Cowboy. </font>

So, are you saying Quentin is full of it?

Professor Falk
04-07-2002, 10:45 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Irene Manor:
So, are you saying Quentin is full of it?</font>

No, not at all. I think the question we're really addressing here, is "What's the first modern use of the F word in a feature film." It's like Jackie Robinson: It's a common mistake to say he was the first African-American in Professional Baseball. There were Black players before and right after the turn of the century. They were banned after that (unofficially) for @ 50 years, until Robinson joined the Dodgers in 1947 and broke the Color Barrier. The early days of film were wild and wooly, and then there was a clampdown @ 1930. I think we're all concerned with the thaw from that. It's all just a matter of semantics. From what I can tell, Quentin is one hell of a guy, and definitely not full of it. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Professor Falk (edited 04-08-2002).]

herculeez
04-08-2002, 09:08 PM
It's funny i was reading a british film magazine today (Total Film) and it was talking about the 50 movies that shook the world and they claim that teh movie "I'll Never Forget What's'isname" in 1967 to have been the first film to actually use the word "Fuck" in it and all thanks to Michael Winner...the prick of a fucking loser.
But if you guys claim to have heard to the word used in an earlier film then damn, tey must be wrong!!!

Fergus
04-08-2002, 09:54 PM
I really don't remember hearing the f-word in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?", after seeing it twice, but I could be wrong. And that movie came out in 1966, I think. Wasn't there a movie called "Haxon", or something like that from the 30's that featured nudity? Hmmmmm...

edit:
Haxan, from 1922

[This message has been edited by Fergus (edited 04-08-2002).]

Irene Manor
04-09-2002, 07:43 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by herculeez:
It's funny i was reading a british film magazine today (Total Film) and it was talking about the 50 movies that shook the world and they claim that teh movie "I'll Never Forget What's'isname" in 1967 to have been the first film to actually use the word "Fuck" in it and all thanks to Michael Winner...the prick of a fucking loser.
But if you guys claim to have heard to the word used in an earlier film then damn, tey must be wrong!!!</font>

This is what I've found as well, so I agree with Herc. Everyone else is full of it. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

CWM
04-09-2002, 08:37 AM
Allright, question answered.

But there is no need to be so rude to each other!

Peace on earth, let's fuck!