PDA

View Full Version : "Audition"- WTF?

rtatick
06-20-2002, 09:45 PM
Okay, so... I went to three stores after work today to get this DVD. First, let me say, it's been a little overhyped and I've been dupped again. I probably would have been happy with a rental. But that's not my main reason for posting.

**********SPOILER ALERT*************
I don't get the sequence during the last 30 minutes after he drinks the last drink and starts to fall. It goes back to the scene where they are at the restaurant drinking beer, but with different dialogue. Then we see him visiting places he never went and she keeps changing and... my GOD! HELP ME! What do YOU think?

CAPTAIN BLAKE
06-21-2002, 04:30 AM
I personally think this is a great, disturbing, fucked up classic. I see why folks expecting a "horror film" might be confused or dissapointed, but this is more horrifying than any traditional horror film I've seen in a long, long time. The fact that it doesn't use the typical cliches of the genre is the reason it's so effective, for me anyway. I knew bad shit was coming from the beginning, but GOD DAMN...That end sequence IS very odd, and open to interpretation...but my take on it is something akin to the finale of DON'T LOOK NOW, where the approach of death unlocks some serious hallucinations / pertinent suppressed memories / psychic visions in the victim. Things become all too clear... epiphanies that would have forewarned the protagonists if they had had mental access before being attacked. The mirror / painting /memory scene in DEEP RED is another good example of this. Pure dread as a key to open the doors of perception...

rtatick
06-21-2002, 07:52 AM
I wasn't expecting a horror flick. I had the same idea you did going in. And, yes, it was a good movie. Even if it wasn't for the disturbing last bit, it would have been a sweet movie. It's just that it would make a great rental, and, possibly, a dissapointing buy. Maybe once we figure this out I'll appreciate it more.

***********SPOILERS ABOUND***************

I see what you are saying about him puzzling things together (with the aid of clairvoiance (sp?) or not) at the end. But why would he remember conversations differently. I kinda figured he pieced together the "dad" connection. But she never told him he didn't have legs. It's only in the "second version" of that second-meeting conversation that she "told" him. It just seems a little too convenient. Any thoughts? Anyone else wanna chime in? I think we can figure this out a little before I go back and watch it again.

countchocula
06-21-2002, 01:39 PM
SPOILERS

During Miike's commentary, he explains that the second conversation is the same as the one earlier in the film, but from a different perspective. I think it's how Asami perceived their dialogue. She feels like she opened up to Shigeharu more than she actually did. Also, all of the surreal, clairvoyant imagery that runs through Shigeharu's mind right before he collapses flash by in one second. But the viewer gets too see them stretched out into a span of a few minutes.

hgokuh
06-22-2002, 11:24 AM
I think that if you do a movie that nobody understands or can explain it will become a classic, THIS MOVIE S*CKS!!!
Common, nobody understands anything but you like it? Is not like if you had to think to understand the movie, theres nothing to understand there, the writing was just BAD!!!

hgokuh
06-22-2002, 11:28 AM
If you want to watch a good Japanese Horror movie watch RING or Kairo, is not as good as Ring but it has some Spooky moments and you will have to think a lot to understand it.
And if you are into Zombies then watch VERSUS, that movie is GREAT!!!

[This message has been edited by hgokuh (edited 06-22-2002).]

horrorhomo
06-22-2002, 11:42 AM
This movie is actually quite interesting if you think of it from a feminist perspective, or from an Far Eastern woman's point of view. I think it was feminist abstract conception/response to decades of cultural repression. If you want a piece of crap that means nothing (but everyone thinks is great, though no one can explain), try Mullholland Drive.

[This message has been edited by horrorhomo (edited 06-22-2002).]

Bomont the Destroyer
06-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Sorry to get off topic here, but Mulholland Drive isn't that hard to figure out. I don't feel like getting into it at the moment, but it's nowhere near as hard to explain as everyone thinks. David Lynch just arranged the movie in an unusual manner, making it seem more confusing than it actually is.

And why can't someone like a movie if they don't totally understand everything that happened in it?

horrorhomo
06-22-2002, 02:15 PM
I agree, Bomont. I certainly don't feel I understand everything that happened in Audition, but the narrative structure seemed rather clear. However, I didn't feel that way with Mulholland Drive (or Lost Highway). I LOVED DLs earlier films, mainly because they had odd characters and situations, but the themes were always fairly simple (Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks). Plus, I have YET to find someone that can actually explain Mulholland Drive--everyone always says they love it, but no one ever explains what the hell it was about. Sorry, off topic. Still liked Audition.

countchocula
06-22-2002, 03:44 PM
I'm with Horrorhomo on Mulholland Drive. I can appreciate a solid mindfuck, but this film just seemed 100% random. I was disoriented from the opening credits (which intrigued me), but I was never given anything to hold onto from there on out. It was too self-indulgent to be enjoyable. Of course, I may not have been in the right frame of mind to grasp it all, but one thing's for certain, I wasn't entertained by Lynch's visual hieroglyphics at all. I'm surprised I lasted the entire running time. Audition was fairly simplistic, in my eyes. I was never dizzy in utter confusion.

Bomont the Destroyer
06-22-2002, 06:55 PM
It's not actually random though. Heres a link to six pages worth of explaining.

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/10/23/mulholland_drive_analysis/?x

That might help you. After I read all that, it made a lot more sense. You still might hate the movie, but at least you'll understand it.

Elgyn
06-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Bomont -

Dude thanks for that link! Pretty interesting read.
I still think "MD" was pretty overrated, and certainly NOT among his best films (as people have said).
I love almost all of Lynch`s other films though (except for "Wild At Heart").