PDA

View Full Version : Home for the Holidays - (7/10)

The Other
11-07-2001, 01:54 PM
Director: Jodie Foster
Writer: W.D. Richter
Actors: Holly Hunter, Robert Downey, Jr., Anne Bancroft, Dylan McDermott
Genre: Dramedy
Year of Release: 1995

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kalog/064.jpg

I liked this little film. I actually thought it was a Christmas flick for the longest time, but it's a Thanksgiving flick. I remember seeing previews for it back in '95 when I was 12 and they were first advertising the film and I thought it looked so funny. But, I saw it on Showtime Monday (Nov. 5th) for the first time and it's not as funny as I thought (from the previews anyway). It's still a good holiday movie, though, and it seems the perfect time to write a little review considering Thanksgiving is just two weeks away.

Speaking of which, this is like one of the only films ever about Thanksgiving. I don't even think I know anymore. Tons on other holidays though. It completely captures all that going home for the holidays isn't supposed to be but ends up being anyway. You leave for home, inevitably on the absolute worst day of your life hoping for some sort of relief from the rest of the world. Instead, you get your family. The old fights are dredged up, you're treated like you're 12, and everything sucks worse than it did before you left...

I liked the acting in this film, especially from Robert Downey, Jr. and Holly Hunter, who had me convinced they were brother and sister. Anne Bancroft was good as well. She was funny and dramatic, and she seemed like such a Mom! Totally believable as well.

The only complaint I have is that this film isn't as funny as I expected from the previews. It could have done some good to have more of that good ol' black comedy that I, personally, love. But, the movie does have some funny moments with its true-to-life approach on family get-togethers, and a number of touching ones as well.

Overall, I'd say it's a good holiday film that's worth watching and definitely will be more appreciated being watched around its specific holiday, which is Thanksgiving. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by The Other (edited 11-07-2001).]

Mike
11-07-2001, 02:12 PM
Good review! Makes me want to give it another chance. I rented this movie the day before Easter around the time it came out on video and I though it sucked. I remember thinking it looked hilarious and I was very disappointed. I really didn't like it but now I kind of want to see it again, maybe I'll like it better.