PDA

View Full Version : Video Capsule: Misery (9/10)

JoBlo
02-25-2001, 08:17 PM
I love watching this movie whenever I'm feeling DOWN AND OUT during the winter months. It just TOTALLY gets me out of my funk and makes me so happy to be alive, writing and not stuck with that crazy beeyatch from the flick...woo-hoo...!!

"You sick twisted f**k!!!"

So what's great about this film? Oh, pretty much everything. How tough do you think it is to keep your interest going for close to 100 minutes? Not easy, right? Well, this movie just grabs me by the ears every time and holds me up against its wonderfully drawn-out story, accentuated by the two great performances by the leads, James Caan and Kathy Bates, till I'm slipping off the edge of my seat.

I'm also able to identify with the writer-dude, since I do in some ways, consider myself nothing more than a writer, and in that "certain scene", when she asks him to do that "certain thing" (trying NOT to ruin it for those who haven't see it yet-- rent it now!!), and he is forced to do it, I just break down every time. How friggin' TOUGH do you think that is to do? It's like killing your own kid...okay, not THAT bad...but you get my point.

But more than anything, I think it's Kathy Bates' incredible performance in this movie, that just elevates it so. She's super-nice when she needs to be, super-mean when she needs to be, super-cold, super-sweet and super, and I say again...super F**KED UP!!!

The whole build-up is great, very tense moments, every move is interesting, James Caan "acting" like he thinks everything is okay, when deep-down he knows he's up shit's creek (and no paddle in sight, folks).

There are also a couple of incredible scenes, including the infamous "sledgehammer" scenario (Jeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!) and a nice surprise with Richard Farnsworth.

And believe it or not, there are plenty of little "funny" moments as well. Like when Annie waves "hello" to Paul from outside and he just flips her the bird, ever so gently. "You kidder", says she. What the f**k? Whatta kook!!

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, PLEASE check it out ASAP, especially if you like tense, slow-moving, but dramatic thrillers, with SUPER performances!!

And even if you have seen it, but it's been a while, I suggest you check it out again...it's a definite KEEPER!!

kerryanne
02-25-2001, 08:53 PM
Excellent review Jo...this movie is great...and I haven't seen it in a long time...well, there is one for the movie rental list next weekend. I absolutely love Kathy Bates in this movie...she needs to do movies like this more often.

Brock Landers
02-26-2001, 06:39 PM
You money big BRA... great review. I completely identify with the whole "winter/down-and-out" feeling, I get the same vibe from flicks like "A Simple Plan", "The Ice Storm" and "Affliction". Ya know, it's like I can feel the bitter cold even in my warm cabana. I dig the kinder, subtler Jimmy Caan in this flick and Bates, well bates was made for this role. Farnsworth is warm and fun to watch and the book-to-film translation was done with some real talent. I've seen it before and I know I'll see it again, it's just one of those flicks that never gets too old... /ubb/wink.gif

PackBacker
02-26-2001, 09:43 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brock Landers:
You money big BRA...</font>

Dammit, I should never have put up a capsule on "Swingers" /ubb/wink.gif

Agreed, though, about Misery. Fun little flick. Bates scared the absolute hell out of me. Great adaptation from the novel...not something King books to films are known for.

Raena
02-26-2001, 10:53 PM
Brock---you can add FARGO to that list as well.

Man, I love MISERY! Just an awesome, well-done flick! It's one of the few STEPHEN KING novels that was done justice. . .Well, actually, a lot of them were done well come to think about it.

playgames
02-27-2001, 09:57 PM
One of my favorite scenes is when she does that hog snort imitation or whatever you call it.Makes me wonder about these women who act "Nice".What happenes behind closed doors?

Coolkid
02-28-2001, 07:44 AM
A couple of weeks ago I took Misery out the library and I'm about half way through. I'll definetly track down the video though!

/ubb/smile.gif /ubb/smile.gif /ubb/smile.gif COOLKID /ubb/smile.gif /ubb/smile.gif /ubb/smile.gif

"If somebody eats a Toffee Crisp without my permission, I must hurt them."

Brock Landers
02-28-2001, 05:12 PM
playgames... good point about how people act behind closed doors. I mean, just look at Annette Bening slapping herself after losing the sale in "American Beauty" or The Principal in "Beavis & Butthead Do America" getting a spanking from a hooker at a sleazy motel /ubb/wink.gif Lots of hypocrites out there who wear different "masks" ... perfect film example, "American Psycho" and Patrick Bateman's different personalities depending on his surroundings...

coolkid... it's definitely worth the effort of tracking it down, in fact if you want it for free, many libraries stock videos to check out (most of which are Oscar winners), and "Misery" was an acclaimed film... heck, I remember checking out "Spartacus" when I was in fifth grade from my local library... "Misery" is also a great read, as I'm sure you know by now...

Snert
03-04-2001, 09:49 PM
It has been a while since I saw this..I love it, I'm gonna rent it soon..

kerryanne
03-04-2001, 10:00 PM
Well, I took Jo's advice,and rented Misery this weekednd and ya know...it's one of those movies that just get better everytime you watch it. She is one screwed op woman...again I can't preach enough about Kathy Bates's incredible acting job...(still had a hard time watching the "sledgehammer" scene. That is too f**ked up)

Brock Landers
03-05-2001, 08:33 AM
I agree kerryanne...in fact someone once told me that they changed the script to the sledgehammer sequence, I mean, they were gonna chop his feet clean off with an ax /ubb/wink.gif

Scorchlord
09-19-2001, 08:34 PM
I actually finished the book today (for about the fifth time ever), and the movie totally does justice to it. In fact, the movie comes close to topping to book, but Stephen King wrote it was such psychological horror that it freaked me out. Damn, what a movie AND book.

And you're right Brock, in the book she chops his foot off. I just love how King describes it when the axe hits - "The axe came whistling down and buried itself in Paul Sheldon's left leg just above the ankle. Pain exploded up his body in a gigantic bolt. Dark-red blood splattered across her face like Indian warpaint. It splattered the wall. He heard the blade squeal against bone as she wrenched it free."

Ugh, I just get a shiver up my spine at the squeal on the bone part.

ParileseMonster
09-19-2001, 09:09 PM
Misery is a great flick but the book is? Much more entertaining! I loved the book! Its great! very gory and graphic! It is better than the movie but I do agree the movie did not really stray far from the book which is rare! Like that damn Flowers in the Attic movie, hell that was not like the book at all! Ive read the series and let me tell you I think the granny had some right to be a mean bastard!

[This message has been edited by ParileseMonster (edited 09-19-2001).]

PackBacker
09-07-2002, 09:03 PM
"Misery" 1990

Written by: Stephen King/ William Goldman
Directed by: Rob Reiner
Starring: James Caan, Kathy Bates

9/10

"I thought you were good Paul... but you're not good. You're just another lying ol' dirty birdy."

Plot: Famous author Paul Sheldon (Caan) has a car accident and ends up upside down in a snow-bank. He is rescued by his "number one fan" (Bates) who nurses him back to health. Sheldon comes to find out that his provider is not quite all she seems to be...

Review: Genuinely creepy flick that contains one of the best actress performances of all time. Kathy Bates won an Oscar for her performance and deservingly so.

The story is superb. Stephen King's books that deal with human horror often transition into film better rather than the supernatural ("The Green Mile" vs. "The Dark Half"). The film centering on just two characters allows for excellent explorations of both of the stars. There's not a lot of extraneous fluff and this also helps build the claustrophobic feel. Snow, small sets, tight shots, and two people. Good stuff.

As mentioned previously, the acting is excellent. Kathy Bates is the ultimate manic-depressive. From snorting like a pig to a melancholy state carrying around a gun to straight up psycho bitch, her performance is all over the place and dead-on. What really gets me is how her character uses the cornball anti-swears. "Dirty-bird" just makes me shiver. Caan is no slouch himself.

I think "Misery" works so well because there are no frills and no punchs are pulled. No CGI shit, no distracting ancillary characters, and no pounding soundtrack. Some black humor, one or two gruesome scenes, and a character study in madness. Bravo.

PorcheRacer
04-27-2003, 09:56 AM
I just watched Misery (9/10) the other day and loved it. I'm going to go to the library and get the book too....

movieguy1021
07-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Yet another case of the book (9/10) being better than the movie (7/10)

wyodebbie
07-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Kathy Bates as the crazy former nurse Annie Wilkes in "Misery" was fantastic and a showcase role for her. James Caan also good as Paul Sheldon the writer of the "Misery" series, both he and Bates played nicely off one another, she his #1 fan and he held captive in her snowy isolated Colorado home. Also got a kick out of Richard Farnsworth and Frances Sternhagen as the married sheriff couple picking up clues on Sheldon's disappearance. Loved the back-drop of snowy Colorado scenes and Annie's old-fashioned home. Director Rob Reiner tightens the psychological screws as escalates Annie's insane periods with Sheldon over her nice calm periods. Bates is so natural in this role we believe her as Annie yelling "dirty birdy" and "I feel oogie" as we both smile and cringe at same time. A very memorable performance by Bates and glad she won the Oscar for best actress that year.
Grade: 7.5/10 B/B+