PDA

View Full Version : Smartest and Dumbest Horror Movie Characters

AntonioDelLago
05-23-2001, 10:25 PM
Who do you think are the smartest and dumbest horror movie characters? My list...

SMARTEST VILLAIN: Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) in THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and HANNIBAL. RUNNER-UP: Shakespearean actor Edward Lionheart (Vincent Price) and his variety of disguises and kills in THEATRE OF BLOOD.

SMARTEST VILLAINESS: A tie between Ann Thomerson (Tracey Bregman) in HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME and Pamela Voohrees (Betsy Palmer) in FRIDAY THE 13TH. Although Bregman's character donned a "Scooby-Doo"-inspired Melissa Sue Anderson mask, both she and Palmer's psycho mama used a variety of weapons in their respective murder sprees.

MOST RESOURCEFUL HERO and HEROINE: Ash (Bruce Campbell) in THE EVIL DEAD and Ginny (Amy Steel) in FRIDAY THE 13TH-PART 2. RUNNERS-UP: Paul Sheldon (James Caan) in MISERY and Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp) in A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.

DUMBEST HERO and HEROINE: John Baxter (Donald Sutherland) in DON'T LOOK NOW and Kate Miller (Angie Dickinson) in DRESSED TO KILL.

LUCKIEST DIMWIT: David Arquette's ditsy Dewey character from the SCREAM trilogy.

SMART WOMEN, FOOLISH CHOICES: Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) dropping the knife after seemingly stabbing her big bro Michael to death in both HALLOWEEN and H2O (learn your lesson, girl!); Melanie Daniels (Tippi Hedren) investigating a noise in the attic bedroom without waking any of her fellow survivors in the finale of THE BIRDS; after a cop on the telephone warns her that there is a killer lurking in her sorority house, Jess Bradford (Olivia Hussey) ventures upstairs to check on her two friends in BLACK CHRISTMAS (at least she grabbed a fireplace poker first!); Helen Lyle (Virginia Madsen) investigating the legend of CANDYMAN in Chicago's Cabrini Green tenement slum.

SAVVIEST TEENS: David (Eric Foster) in GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE and Meg Penny (Shawnee Smith) in the 1988 remake of THE BLOB.

CLEVER KIDS: Danny Torrance (Danny Lloyd) and his backwards footprints outwit his maniacal father (Jack Torrance) in THE SHINING finale, set in a snowy hedge maze; Andy Barclay (Alex Vincent) escapes from a mental institution, and manages to outwit killer doll Chucky in CHILD'S PLAY; paralyzed pre-teen Marty Coslaw (Corey Haim) escapes from a werewolf's bloody clutches on more than one occasion, using his SILVER BULLET (a motorized wheelchair) as his means of transport.

[This message has been edited by AntonioDelLago (edited 05-24-2001).]

Chloe
05-23-2001, 10:47 PM
Well, I can't be as specific as you, but smart horror cats that come to mind are Ginny from Friday the 13th 2, Nancy from A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Alex from Final Destination. Most horror characters are dumb, but the dumbest would have to be... anybody that has sex during a massacre. /ubb/smile.gif

Head Hunter
05-24-2001, 03:37 PM
Wow Antonio...Major props for the list..I'd say the dumbest Hero or Heroine are the ones that drop the weapon when they think the killer is dead..

psycho-man_666
05-25-2001, 01:49 AM
Good call on Alex from Final Destination Chloe. Is without a doubt the smartest character in horror movie.

As for the dumbest weel let's just say all the cast from Valentine.

BTZombie
05-25-2001, 09:21 AM
Smartest:
Nancy Thompson (Nightmare 1,3)
Alex Browning (Final Destination)
Sid Presscott (Scream trilogy)
Sam Loomis (Halloween 1,2,4,5,6)
Alice Johnson (Nightmare 4-5)
Alicia Alverez (Stage Fright, not Hitchcock)

Dumbest:
Jesse Walsh (Nightmare 2)
Dewey Riley (Scream trilogy)
Kristen Parker (Nightmare 3-4)
Cindy (Scary Movie)

In Between:
Laurie Strode (Halloween 1,2,7,8)
Tracy (Nightmare 6)
Dr. Wynn (Halloween 1,6)
Donald Thompson (Nightmare 1,3)

AntonioDelLago
05-25-2001, 03:37 PM
Great list, BT ZOMBIE, especially the inclusion of Jesse from NIGHTMARE 2. What a dumb ass! Also, as much as I like John Saxon, his Lt. Thompson character wasn't as clever as his daughter Nancy (which is usually the case with cops and their daughters...just check out David Kagan and Jennifer Cooke in FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 6).

Also, good call on Devon Sawa's Alex Browning character. I initially considered him as my favorite intelligent teen, but I must give "mad props" (as my friend MORGAN puts it) to lesser known characters, such as the ones portrayed by Eric Foster and Shawnee Smith.

Two other resourceful teens were Casey and Zeke (Elijah Wood and Josh Hartnett) in THE FACULTY.

[This message has been edited by AntonioDelLago (edited 05-25-2001).]

AntonioDelLago
05-25-2001, 03:54 PM
Does anyone think that Clarice Starling was one of the horror genre's most intelligent characters? Was she just lucky? Or was most of her investigation fueled by Hannibal's vague leads and innuendo? I suspect that it was a combination of all three: she was an honor student with a double major (Psych and Criminology), and it was her persistence that led her to capture Buffalo Bill, guided by Hannibal's evil right hand, of course!

Freddy is God
05-26-2001, 12:09 PM
Starling is definitely a smart person, but no match for Hannibal Lector. He may not be a genius, but under the "Clever Kids" category, I have to add the kid from F13 4. Corey Feldman played him (shit what was that guys name...). He butchered Jason like a maniac!

AntonioDelLago
05-26-2001, 07:26 PM
Corey's character's name in FRIDAY 4 was Tommy Jarvis.

Freddy is God
05-27-2001, 01:26 AM
Yeah that's right, how could i forget that? He was in 3 Friday movies......I'm disappointed with myself.

krazyivan
06-01-2001, 11:19 PM
Tommy Jarvis is far up in the smartness ranks. The dumbest would have to be every character in scream who continues to carry cell phones after the killer tricked people into bad situations useing them.

ban all music
06-02-2001, 12:18 PM
Dumbest: All three kids in Clownhouse.

Dignan777
06-02-2001, 08:59 PM
Yeah those kids in Clownhouse were stupid, how they survived is beyond me. Stupid clowns too.