PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Zone - The Movie

A.J. Hakari
06-05-2001, 03:05 PM
Your thoughts on this anthology film from the '80s?

AntonioDelLago
06-05-2001, 03:22 PM
The epilogue involving Albert Brooks and Dan Aykroyd was excellent, as was the final scene with Aykroyd and John Lithgow.

I didn't enjoy the Vic Morrow racial-themed episode (which was poorly edited after Morrow's death during filming).

Spielberg's "Kick The Can" sequence with SHINING victim Scatman Crothers was mediocre at best. Typical whimsical Spielberg cheese.

The best segments were remakes of two classic episodes: "It's A Good Life" with Kathleen Quinlan and "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet" with the afore-mentioned Lithgow.

Narrator Burgess Meredith (who starred in many episodes of the great television series which inspired this flick) more than qualifies as creator Rod Serling's replacement.

John Landis, Joe Dante and George Miller co-directed with Steve.

My overall grade: B-

[This message has been edited by AntonioDelLago (edited 06-05-2001).]

Schilachi
06-05-2001, 04:04 PM
Yea i thought it was good.
My fave bits were the the Nightmare at 20000 feet segment and the Prolouge/epilouge bit's.
Anyone see the made for TV 'lost classics' special, i though it was quite good. I prefered the 1st story about the woman seeing the future, to the Jack palance 2nd story. Still it was ok.

Weapon X
06-05-2001, 10:41 PM
TZ: The movie was on TV today...some good memories came from watching it.

Prologue and Epilogue with Dan Akroyd - Fun parts. "Midnight Special" is a kool old song.

I too didn't quite enjoy the Vic Morrow segment, first of all 'cause I'm one of the guys the racist insults. Good to see he got his in the end.

I wouldn't call the "Kick the Can" part "mediocre". I remember the original episode having a different, somewhat darker ending, but I still enjoyed Spielberg's take on it.

"It's a Good Life" - Useless trivia: Bill Mumy, who played the little kid in the original episode, plays a part in this segment. This one's my least favorite, but it's still got its high points. The rabbit trick thing was kool, and that monster that came out of the TV was just plain weird.

"Terror at 20,000 feet" - FREEEEEEEAAAAKY!!! Definitely an improvement over the original. I hated the guts out of that annoying little girl, though.

BTW - That was Burgess Meredith narrating? Never knew that. Interesting, since one TZ episode he starred in was mentioned in the prologue. Cooincidence? NOT!

krazyivan
06-06-2001, 02:13 AM
Wanna see something really cool- classic ending

AntonioDelLago
06-06-2001, 01:33 PM
Actually, that famous final line is: "Wanna see something really scary?"

The Claw
12-24-2002, 07:41 PM
I quite liked this. All four stories were quite entertaining to a point and the wrap around stories were good too.

and Dan Aykroyd was great in Caddyshack II ;)

countchocula
12-26-2002, 06:21 PM
I'm with the majority. "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" rocks and is superior to the original episode. And of course, the wrap-around story is a hoot. The rest of this anthology didn't really beguile me, but my memory is a little foggy. I need to pick this up soon.

CheekyShepherd
12-26-2002, 08:49 PM
The compendium was flawed due to an unfinished first story & a Steven Spielberg love letter to the old & decrepit. Joe Dante's third segment is by far the most disturbing, but George Miller's "Terror At 20,000 Feet" is both the scariest and most entertaining slice.

"You wanna see something really scary?"

2000 POSTS!!!!!!!!

Jewbo
12-27-2002, 03:20 AM
didnt some kids and an actor die when a helicopter landed on them in the makin of this film?

CheekyShepherd
12-27-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Jewbo
didnt some kids and an actor die when a helicopter landed on them in the makin of this film?

Yes, Vic Morrow and two children died when a helicopter came down as he carried them through a lake. Quite gruesome actually. This was in John Landis' opening segment.

Hans, wihout Franz
12-27-2002, 07:38 PM
I really enjoyed the last two stories done by Joe (Gremlins, The 'Burbs) Dante about the boy who gets whatever he wishes for & George(Road Warrior) Miller about the airline passenger who sees a creature outside his window. Used to be on HBO ten times a day. Help warp my fragle little mind.:D

the night watchman
12-27-2002, 08:38 PM
"TZ: The Movie" was good once, but after that, only the last one with the airplane gremlin is worth seeing over and over. IMHO.

The Arrow
12-28-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Vincent Price
Doesn´t matter,I just gonna see it one time.

By the way,I think the airplane thingy is better calling it a monster or mutant rather than a gremlin,since he look nothing like the Gremlins from the Joe Dante films.

The movie Gremlins didn't invent the Gremlin legend it just expanded on it. The Gremlin myth (creature that likes to mess up mechanical-electrical devices) have been around since WW2 and that creature in TZ The Movie is in fact a Gremlin.

All that to say...you can call it a Gremlin cause that's what it is :)

the night watchman
12-28-2002, 11:04 AM
And to expand just a tad further, that TZ gremlin is one of the coolest man-in-a-suit monsters I've ever seen.

Psychocandy
12-28-2002, 03:53 PM
As good as Twilight Zone The Movie is (and it's quite good)...there's nothing in it that comes even close to the Nightcrawlers episode of the 80's series. It was an adaptation of the acclaimed Robert R McCammon short story that saw a diner and it's staff and customers translocated to the middle of conflict stricken Vietnam as the result of a Vietnam vets tortured memories. Cool story. Even Robert R McCammon rated it highly. Anyone remember it?

the night watchman
12-28-2002, 04:00 PM
I do! That was a great episode. Have you read McCammon's original story? It's in his short story collection "Blue World." Great book loaded with stories of that quality.

Man, I loved "The New Twilight Zone." Does anyone know if it's on video? They did a great job with stories like Harlan Ellison's "Shatterday" and Stephen King's "Gramma." What are some other stories from that woefully absent series?

Psychocandy
12-28-2002, 04:19 PM
Yup. I've read most (perhaps all) of Blue World and most of Robert R McCammon's novels. He's a fantastic writer and i've felt his absence (he quit writing for about ten years but recently published a new novel "Speaks The Nightbird" about the witch trials in the 16th century and how they destroyed small communites...I intend to read it soon). He's a fantastic writer whose novels could make for some superb movies/mini-series. Especially Swan Song and The Wolf's Hour.

Back on topic. My fave segment of The Twilight Zone movie is undoubtably the Terror at 20,000 Feet. It was not however quite as memorable as the original episode. I'm a fan of The Shat and his twitchy performance in the original episode was brilliant (I can forgive the fact that the creature looked like a man dressed in a bad monkey suit).