PDA

View Full Version : WHAT LIES BENEATH

!MorganOnyx!
04-26-2001, 04:06 PM
I'm in a rush, so i'll be brief. Never before have i expected a slick, polished thriller with good scares and a decent story, and been so let down. Fuck me, this film was CRAP!

Discuss - I'll be right back!

screamfan
04-26-2001, 04:53 PM
I quite enjoyed it, it was really boring at some parts but overall it was ok.

Mike
04-26-2001, 04:56 PM
Man that's a disapointment Morgan, I liked this movie. I saw it in the theater twice and on video a ton of times. The first time I saw it though I jumped quite a bit. It's probably best if you see it in the theater, it's just the kind of movie that's fun in a dark theater... This was actually the scariest movie I had seen in a long time... It was slickly done and Michelle Pfieffer was great.
I don't know, I just really liked it, the best ghost story I've ever seen. I thought it was great and I've watched it with quite a few people and they've all liked it. It also depends on what mood you're in... I think it was one of the best movies of 2000. Oh well though, not everyone will like it, so it's cool that you didn't...

What Lies Beneath:

My Grade:

10/10 (It deserved it, I don't think I've jumped that many times during a movie before)

AntonioDelLago
04-26-2001, 05:23 PM
WHAT LIES BENEATH was an above average ghost story (better than such recent duds as the remakes of THE HAUNTING and HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL), but it was derivative of almost every slasher flick, psychological thriller and supernatural story in recent (or distant) memory. Director Robert Zemeckis blatantly ripped off PSYCHO, REAR WINDOW, VERTIGO, JAGGED EDGE, FATAL ATTRACTION, HALLOWEEN and THE LADY IN WHITE, just to name a few. But for some reason, I still enjoyed it. Michelle Pfeiffer's best role in years.

Freddy is God
04-26-2001, 08:26 PM
I really really enjoyed it. By far my favorite ghost movie. Very intense and very well done.

Femme_Fatale
04-27-2001, 04:33 AM
I thought it was terrible, the script was weak, the acting was poor (Harrison Ford looked SO bored!) and the fact that the trailer told us exactly was gonna happen, didnt help!!!!

The ending was REALLY stupid too!

SonOfMyers
04-27-2001, 04:54 PM
This movie has it all... scares, good actors, jumps... that's what made it crappy. It followed too much the path of any other ghost story... all in all, crappy movie.

!MorganOnyx!
04-29-2001, 06:31 AM
Scares? Where? Anyway, like i've said before, YOU WANT A REALLY SCARY GHOST STORY WITH REAL SCARES?!

THE WOMAN IN BLACK

Trust me. Y'all watch this and you will think that this poor excuse for a 'ghost' story is fucking pathetic.

WHAT LIES BENEATH was SO DESPERATELY BORING! And they made a big mistake in casting FORD cos i just KNEW he was gonna be one of the reason for the ghost being there. There's no way they'd cast FORD just to play 'the husband who buries his head in his work for the whole movie and have nothing to do with the ending!' It was SO OBVIOUS (Just like JAY MOHR in CHERRY FALLS! There's no way he'd just play a teacher in a slasher movie)

It was JUST NOT SCARY, and i thought there was NO ATMOSPHERE. When PFEIFFER was in the house on her own, it was rarely eerie. I just wasn't feeling it. The only two decent shots in the whole movie were when she sees the ghost's reflection in the bath (it was unexpected even though the camera panned across the bath for no 'apparant' reason) and the end with FORD getting grabbed by the ghost underwater (when she turns all decayed and ugly - that was cool).

But still, two cool shots out of an entire movie that SHOULD have been VERY GOOD is a fucking poor show. My evil feelings of THE SIXTH SENSE are starting to be dragged up again! FORD suddenly being that evil, cold and calculating is bullshit. There's no way a real person, who'd been married for years and had a lovely child with the woman he loves would be able to dispose of her in that manner and not even look like caring! FUCK ME! I'M STARTING TO GET ANGRY AGAIN JUST THINKING ABOUT IT! ENOUGH.

Mike
04-29-2001, 01:28 PM
Actually Morgan,
that wasn't even his daughter, she had a kid when she met him... Anyway, I thought this movie was WAY better than The Sixth Sense...
I didn't think THE SIXTH SENSE was all that great, maybe it was the hype that ruined it for me... I kept hearing it was so good and scary and I wasn't scared once... Anyway, I still totally liked What Lies Beneath... It was fun, and sure it was a little slow but it made up for that in the last half hour or so. What a rush that was...

!MorganOnyx!
05-02-2001, 09:15 AM
Ok. My bad. But this movie is still BAD.

mafia
05-02-2001, 12:12 PM
Haven't seen it yet. I'll rent it though..

EL_PHANTAZMO
05-02-2001, 01:03 PM
don't rent it,listen to Morgan. It's pure crap.

Mike
05-02-2001, 01:49 PM
No, do rent it, decide for yourself. Most people that I know liked it, including myself...

Myers-child
05-03-2001, 05:10 AM
I heard loads of good stuff about this film and was really dissapointed when I saw it. I didn't really get scared and it was actually boring in places. More of a thriller than Horror-definately!

psycho-man_666
05-11-2001, 11:45 PM
I gotta say that I really liked it too!! I thought the story was a way lot better than a lot of bad teen horror movies that have absolutely nothing special. This one was quite original but I gotta say that Ford is HORRIBLE in the movie. Really, really horrible!

Lindsey
05-12-2001, 03:27 AM
I don't know what to think about "What Lies Beneath" because everybody has different thoughts.I'll see it,and it will probably be good! /ubb/smile.gif

mafia
05-12-2001, 02:43 PM
I'm still gonna rent it.. /ubb/biggrin.gif

Tuukka
05-12-2001, 06:46 PM
I liked it. 7/10.

The Rob
05-12-2001, 09:27 PM
if wasn't SOOOOO bad but MAN WAS IT BORING!
I almost fell a sleep twice!

Demogoblin
05-13-2001, 12:44 AM
In my opinion, "What Lies Beneath" was a solidly made movie that had no real faults aside from a couple slow spots, but at the same time, it had nothing to make it stand out. As was mentioned earlier, there were a lot of familiar plot ideas that were sort of mishmashed together to create a nice, linear plot with no real surprise twists or turns. And that includes the Ford "revelation", which any horror movie fan worth his or her salt can at least speculate at way before it hits. The end result is pretty movie to look at, with solid acting, solid directing and a solid story. However that being said there is no real reason to remember it a week after you have seen it. At least bad movies go down in infamy as being awful. This one is just a blip on the ghostly radar screen.

My review: ** (out of ****)

goremister
05-16-2001, 07:27 PM
I will see buy this movie. The previews look great. With Michelle in it, it will replace Batman Returns as my top horror movie ever.

Myers-child
05-21-2001, 03:48 AM
My opinion on this movie is that it could have been it a bit more scarier,maybe a little more less like a thriller. I agree with the fact that it was a boring flick maybe it would have been better to watch it alone?

uzumaki
05-21-2001, 11:34 AM
I cant believe the number of people who find this movie boring. I agree, that it is slow paced, but it is never boring. The story continues to build at its own pace, and it let's the characters grow. I think "What Lies Beneath" is a great movie, and is actually quite scary. It does go a little too far in the last 5 minutes, but up until that time, it is brilliant.

Definately not boring.

mafia
07-09-2001, 10:55 PM
I rented it!!!!

And I must say, I dissagree with the most of you.. Yes, a slow paced movie. Boring?? Never! Strong performances by Miss Pfeiffer in particular, brilliant photography, amazing score, good story, LOVED the bathtub scene. Overall it creeped the hell out of me because of the 'just under your skin' tension,

At the end of the movie I was occupied with a few notions though.. OK, it was very apparent that (*SPOILER SPOILER*) Harrison Ford was to be the bad guy in this flick. I mean, why hire an actor of such prestige only to let him play the devoted but somewhat workaholic husband. OK, you feel a bit cunned because of the first hour, you totally get set off on the wrong foot by that vague neighbor storyline.. Yes, it didn't have anything to do with the final punchline, but I think that was exactly the intention of Mr zemeckis.

The only thing that really bothered me was how fast Miss Pfeiffer 'became a witch', that particular storyline was a bit too much in my opinion. Mr Zemeckis could have taken some time to deep this sub-thingy out, he took a lot of time for the other elements, why not the most interesting part as well??

I liked it, not top of the bill, there ARE better thrillers, but a more than deicent flick.

Adidas03
07-09-2001, 11:23 PM
I saw both What Lies Beneath and The Sixth Sense in the theatre and this one had more suspense to it. I can't remember getting startled more than 3 times (if that) during the Sixth Sense, on the other hand What Lies Beneath kept me on the edge of my seat. A better thriller. Boring movie? Lmfao, I guess everyone has their own opinion.

[This message has been edited by Adidas03 (edited 07-09-2001).]

Vincent Highwind
07-10-2001, 02:55 AM
Yeah I enjoyed it as well. It was a breath of freash air from these modern Teeny-booper serial killer flicks. See you can make a movie with out killing off most you cast in the first half hour. I do agree with the whole Harrison Ford issue, it was rather predictible.

I don't know how I would rank this in retrospect to 6th sence. Both I thought were rather predictible, both had boreing spots, but all in all both were rather good. I still consider Unbreakable better then 6th sence though and I don't give a rats ass what any of you think about that.

Dr. Movielove
07-10-2001, 05:20 AM
This film was a definite let down
way overrated
way too stupid
4/10

Jo-Jo
07-10-2001, 08:58 AM
I have no idea which film you people who liked it were watching, but it couldn't be the same horrible piece of crap that I watched.

The acting was just BAD. What else can you call it when Harrison Ford looks like he could care less for 95% of the film and then look scared when a CGI is drowning him. I think he was even more bored making the film as I was watching it. And Pfifer looks great, but I've seen much better performaces out of her. I'd rather watch her in that sappy romance with Clooney than this waste of two hours.

There was little actual heat, or warmth between them as a couple on screen. And I think anyone would be a bit more concerned that their wife was going nuts, but Ford acts like it's no big deal.

And what's with that sub-plot with the neighbours. That took up the first hour of the movie. Did we need an hour to figure out that it wasn't the neighbours?? I sure as hell didn't.

The cast spell and the lock of hair bit was hilarious, I was laughing my ass off when I saw that (much to my then girlfriends discontent). It's great how reading a spooky old book for 15 seconds will tell someone everything they need to do to reaise the dead. *rolls eyes*

But moving along, the movie was so anti-climatic. The movie was over right when she knew who it was and he admitted it. It went way down hill after that. I just felt they tacked on chiche ending after cliche ending after that. There are 3-4 climaxs in the movie and the last 45 minutes had me yelling at the TV "Just kill her already!!!" I wanted this movie to be over so bad. It made the other movie we watched that night (The Replacements) look like a an epic hollywood masterpiece.

If any of you schmoes want to disagree with me, that's fine, but in my very HUMBLE opinon this film is not worth the 3 cents it costs to put it on a DVD.

dragon
07-10-2001, 10:29 AM
My kind of movie, I paid 15.99 for the dvd, and it's worth every penny.
I enjoyed the entire movie. It was nice to see "older actors" for once. All the new teeny boppers today seem like one big blur. Their characters in today's slasher movies aren't given the chance to develop. It was nice to see a movie where people weren't killed every 5 seconds (yes I exaggerate). At least this movie had a plot, predictable yes, but more enjoyable than most horror movies today.7/10

Adidas03
07-10-2001, 01:21 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vincent Highwind:
I still consider Unbreakable better then 6th sence though and I don't give a rats ass what any of you think about that.</font>

I also liked Unbreakable better than the Sixth Sense, it had a stronger story to it.