PDA

View Full Version : Terror Train(1980) and Road Games(1981)

Hans, wihout Franz
10-12-2001, 09:39 PM
A lot of people have been talking about prom night the last couple of months. But did anyone see these also with JLC, too bad if you didn't, I liked both better than prom night.
Terror Train also had Hart Bochner(Ellis in Die Hard) and Ben Johnson(too many classic westerns to start). Has pretty much the same old story but actally is handled quite well. A nerdy fraternity pledge is introduced to necrophilia during a college prank and losses it and plots revenge during a fraternity train party.
Road Games also had Stacy Keach as a truck driver who begins spying on a possible murderer ala Rear Window style and is possibly the best out of all three, but then again has the lowest body count of all three.
Any comments/ pans/ reviews?

Antonio
10-12-2001, 10:09 PM
TERROR TRAIN (1980), directed by Roger Spottiswoode, is an obvious attempt to cash in on the revival of the slasher picture spawned two years earlier by John Carpenter's smash hit "Halloween". The plot centers around a New Year's Eve masquerade party held aboard a train chartered by a graduating college fraternity. An uninvited stowaway, the victim of a vicious fraternity prank three years earlier (depicted in an excellent pre-credits sequence), proceeds to stalk the members of the small, elite clique of medical students who were responsible for the practical joke and his subsequent mental breakdown. Heading the cast are: Jamie Lee Curtis as the film's heroine, natch; Oscar-winner Ben Johnson ("The Last Picture Show") as a paternal conductor (Curtis was always paired with father figures during her Scream Queen days. Case in point: Donald Pleasence in "Halloween" and “Halloween II”; Leslie Nielsen in "Prom Night"; and Stacy Keach in “Road Games”); Hart Bochner as the clique's cruel ring-leader; David Copperfield as (what else?) a magician; Sandee Currie as JLC’s best friend; and Timothy Webber as JLC’s boyfriend. The film's final act, in which sole survivor Curtis engages in a lengthy, bloody battle with the killer, is worth waiting for. Another plus: the killer dons the costume of each successive victim, and you'll NEVER guess who he's disguised as during most of the film! On the minus side: the film is poorly directed by former cinematographer Spottiswoode, Copperfield's scenes are embarrassing, and Bochner chews the scenery with so much aplomb, one can't wait for his character to lose his head! Curtis and Johnson are excellent, but this is the weakest entry in JLC's horror film resume. "Halloween" did it so much better! My grade: B

ROAD GAMES (1981) Directed by Richard Franklin. Stacy Keach stars as an eccentric truck driver traveling through the Australian outback (with his cute dingo Bozwell) who becomes embroiled in the title cat-and-mouse games with a Jack The Ripper-style maniac driving a green van. The reigning Scream Queen of the era, Jamie Lee Curtis, co-stars as “Hitch”, a runaway heiress who hitches a ride with Keach, and becomes involved in the chase. PROS: Despite their obvious age difference, Keach and Curtis have major chemistry; Keach, who spends a majority of the film alone (observing passing motorists and analyzing the killer’s motive), proves that he has chemistry with himself (much like Adrienne Barbeau in “The Fog”); JLC proves spunkier here than in her similar role in “The Fog”; one really creepy scene in which the killer spies on the two leads during a thunderstorm; witty dialogue; interesting supporting characters; and a suspenseful climax. CON: The usual lack of explanation for the killer's identity or motive. LAST WORD: A cross between “Rear Window” and “Duel”, “Road Games” stands on its own as a strong psychothriller. Director Franklin, a Hitchcock disciple, directs with restraint, and later helmed the first “Psycho” sequel in 1983. He remains one of my favorite underrated horror filmmakers. My grade: B+

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 10-12-2001).]

XCoRyX
10-12-2001, 10:35 PM
i enjoyed road games very much... 6/10

Elgyn
10-13-2001, 10:12 PM
Do David Copperfield and Ben Johnson die in "Terror Train"?

Jason13thh
10-14-2001, 04:27 AM
I know this flick ( Terror Train ) and I really like it because of the atmosphere and the magic tricks from Copperfield.
Good photo work !! really !! you have red and blue colors and the dark is well done ! it is creepy !!
The film is fairly gory ( the man beheaded )
The major flaw of the film is the identity of the killer which is easy to find.
I like the ending which was a bit cheesy but impressive.

Raw Chili
10-14-2001, 08:48 PM
I agree, both movies are better then Prom night. Terror Train has good acting all around, nice setting, nice atmosphere, good killer, good time. Road Games is a fun movie, great perfromance from stacey keacj, and jamie lee, kinda funny, fun to see stacey figure things out, great intense ending. Terror Train ***/**** and Raod Games ***1/2/****

Antonio
10-15-2001, 10:28 AM
~SPOILER ALERT~

To answer your question, ELGYN...Copperfield's character bites the dust, but Johnson saves the day (and JLC).

Elgyn
10-15-2001, 08:56 PM
Antonio - thanks man, I can`t even find this movie anywhere, that`s why I asked. One more little question though: is Copperfield supposed to be one of the kids, or is he supposed to an entertainer on the train?