PDA

View Full Version : Trilogy Bullshit

Jo-Jo
10-21-2001, 12:46 AM
Where the hell do some of the schmoes get off deciding the Halloween is a Trilogy. Last I looked, there were 8 chapters to the story. Seven of them with Michael Myers as the main character.

To say that 4-6, and 8 are not part of the series is just retarded.

Jaime Lee Curtis wasn't in them, so the don't count. BULLSHIT! The best actor in the series was Donald Pleasence and he wasn't in H20, so why should that film count either?

And in H20, the link there is to H2 is "Mr Sandman" playing on the radio. Michael wasn't burned, he could see. Where's the proof that part 2 actually happened either??

To negate films from a series because you don't like them, or they're different is not just stupid, it's WRONG. There are 8 Halloween movies, not three and the last time I looked in my Websters, a trilogy did not consist of 8 parts.

Not convinced? How about this, Friday the 13th is a Trilogy. The Main character of the series is Tommy Jarvis, so only parts 4-6 count in the series. 1-3 and 7-X don't count.

Or maybe you look at it this way, Jason wasn't the Killer in Part 1, so that doesn't count. Part 2 & 3 he's the killer, and he dies in part 4. Great, that's the triology then. Parts 2-4. None of the rest count. Just forget them, they never happened.

Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?? Now you know how I feel about people saying Halloween is a trilogy.

DeathKing
10-21-2001, 01:52 AM
To Me...Halloween wasn't a Trilogy as well..nor a series IMO...it should have ended after part 2...and 3 should have been an entirely different movie all together..the rest shouldnt have existed...as for F13th..I agree 2-4 were the only ones that should be acknowledged in my book...

Jo-Jo
10-21-2001, 04:08 AM
The part about F13 being a trilogy was supposed to be a joke.....

Dehydrator
10-21-2001, 06:54 AM
The most famous "Triology Bullshit" has to be SCREAM! I can't believe people buy into Williamson's laments that he ALWAYS ( yeah, right ) envisioned this as a triology. I like SCREAM but I'd love to hear what he would have said if it tanked.

The Rob
10-21-2001, 11:18 AM
define trilogy http://www.joblo.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

SteveSzyk
10-21-2001, 11:36 AM
When people say 'The Halloween Trilogy' they know that there are 7 parts in the series. But since the don't like some of them, they don't watch them.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">To negate films from a series because you don't like them, or they're different is not just stupid, it's WRONG. </font>

Wrong!? It's not that big of a deal. If you don't like some of The Halloween movies, don't watch them. Don't buy them. And if you want call the three you like The Halloween Trilogy. It doesn't really matter.

The Boogyman
10-21-2001, 12:36 PM
erm... ive never heard that halloween or friday the 13th was a trilogy.
yeah scream is the most popular along with the evil dead.

JDog83
10-21-2001, 03:45 PM
Jamie Lee Curtis had NOTHING to do with H20 ignoring the other films. Thank the big guy behind the Halloween series-- Moustapha Akkad, who is throwing more crap down on throats with Halloween 8.

And Scream was written as a trilogy. When Kevin turned the original Scream he also turned in scriptments for the other two films. However, they went through many evolutions and probably didn't resemble the finished products for Scream 2 and Scream 3 (which by the way was suppose to be set back in Woodsboro!).

Antonio
10-21-2001, 06:00 PM
JO-JO, ever hear of the term: "Relax! Its only a movie?"

Anyway, I mentioned that I was watching my three favorite HALLOWEEN films on October 31, which happen to be those featuring Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode. Part 3 doesn't count because it is an "in-name-only" sequel, Parts 4 & 5 were mediocre at best, and Part 6 was just plain awful. Personal opinion, of course. I do acknowledge the existence of those films, but I CHOOSE NOT TO WASTE MY TIME WATCHING THEM again.

I do agree with you that the "Mr. Sandman" song was the only link between the second installment of the series and H20. In H20, Laurie never mentioned the fact that Michael pursued her later that fateful night in 1978 at Haddonfield Memorial Hospital, but she did mention to Will (Adam Arkin) that "he killed a bunch of her friends"...do Annie, Lynda and Bob from Part 1 consist of "a bunch"? If not, then were the paramedics, doctors and nurses in Part 2 her friends as well?

There are so many inconsistencies in not only the HALLOWEEN film series, but in most of the others as well. I just choose not to agonize over them.

Jo-Jo
10-21-2001, 08:04 PM
Alright, I will not start to post on every thread about the F13 Trilogy, because I only like 3 parts. And Scream is not a Trilogy, because I only liked the first film. So it is not a trilogy, the first film is a stand alone.

ParileseMonster
10-21-2001, 10:13 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Rob:
define trilogy http://www.joblo.com/ubb/biggrin.gif</font>

Trilogy of Terror http://www.joblo.com/ubb/tongue.gif

JDog83
10-22-2001, 12:20 AM
Actually, H20 doesn't ignore H2 at all. In H2 we find out that Laurie is Mike's sis, and John mentions that "you saw him burn!" to Laurie when she catches him outside of school. Also Marion connects the three films together.

[This message has been edited by JDog83 (edited 10-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by JDog83 (edited 10-22-2001).]

Mojo67821
10-22-2001, 11:09 AM
You know what Jo-Jo? I agree with you completely!!!

there are alot of people on this board refferring to Halloween as a Trilogy? and I posted on some threads calling that ridiculous but I'm glad somebody decided to make it an actual topic cause it's about time...

besides, if we're counting out films that sucked than H20 shouldn't count at all cause that film sucks harry goat testicles!!!!

oh...and I thought it was funny that you made that joke about the Friday the 13th series and that kid agreed with you...I guess the sarcasm wasn't heavy enough...ha!

Bladerunner
10-22-2001, 02:31 PM
Hey everybody. I'm new to the board, but have been lurking a couple months, now.

My take on the Halloween thing is this: The producers stated that they chose to ignore 4-6, so it's kind of a trilogy, but then kind of not. I mean, I understand fully where people get off calling it a trilogy, because according to current thinking, only parts 1,2, and H2O are canon. However, the simple fact remains that there are 7 films total. So who's right? Pretty much everybody. I believe the H2O makers were embarassed by 4-6, and possibly 3. So, they just acted like they never happened. Same thing happened with NOES. New Nightmare had a cool plot, but when you think about it, Craven had no choice but to go that route. If he continued with the series, it couldn't have been all that good a movie. By making New Nightmare the way he did, he could basically say "I know those last few weren't too hot gang, and in the new one, the actors know that, too. But what if the villain came to life for real?"

Just my opinions,
Bladerunner

DeathKing
10-22-2001, 03:43 PM
lol Mo...Me a Kid..Thats funny coming from someone who IMO enjoys "Kiddie Horror"..

Mojo67821
10-23-2001, 12:27 PM
First of all I"d like to know how exactly it is that you know what sort of horror that I like...and what the hell is kiddy horror anyway? damn man calm down, I was just commenting on the obvious humor in that whole exchange. Besides, i wasn't calling you a "kid" like in a derogitory way, It was just a general statement...I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable in your manhood or anything...so chill out (oh and if you wanna say something to me you can say my entire name instead of hinting at it...)

anyway...in response to the comments from Bladerunner about the Nightmare on Elm st. series, yes Craven did go with a new plot, but he didn't act as if the other sequels never happened. that's the difference...

H20 goes on as if H4-6 never happened. And while I can understand them being disappointed in 5 and 6, H4 is widely regarded as a very good horror movie. The other thing that peeves me, is that the people who made H20 are the people who started all the controversy about this series being a trilogy, when H20 isn't even close to the best of the sequels! so doesn't it seem a bit retarded to debate it. If H20 had told us that Michael was a woman or something would we all begin debating that too! I don't think so...

[This message has been edited by Mojo67821 (edited 10-23-2001).]

The Rob
10-23-2001, 01:50 PM
i was serious someone deifne trilogy http://www.joblo.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Jo-Jo
10-24-2001, 07:09 AM
Rob, a trilogy is a story told in three parts. Examples in film can be seen with Star Wars or the Indiana Jones films.

Hope that helps you.

Zing!
10-24-2001, 08:00 AM
I think the bottom line is this: ALL of the "Halloween" movies are available on video and DVD - buy them and watch them all if you want to be a completist, or buy and watch only 1,2 & H20 if you like to think of it as a trilogy. It's personal opinion and obviously not everyone is going to agree.

izombie
10-24-2001, 10:08 AM
Per Merriam-Webster's

Trilogy - trilˇoˇgy

Pronunciation: 'tri-l&-jE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -gies
Etymology: Greek trilogia, from tri- + -logia -logy
Date: circa 1661

: a series of three dramas or literary works or sometimes three musical compositions that are closely related and develop a single theme.

Mojo67821
10-24-2001, 04:24 PM
Very helpful definition izombie...

I do agree with you Zing, obviously we aren't all gonna agree on this, the only reason that my last response was sort of hostile is that if you look right above that it's obvious that Deathking took a cheap shot at me...that's all I'm saying...

piezop
01-30-2002, 01:28 AM
I don't understand. so, this new movie comming out is actually bringing old, dead Mikey back? Like some bad cliffhanger movie? Is this 4 sure? The baby from Mike and Jamie is new Mike, and could have linked all (minus number 3, what the hell???) the last movies togther.

robk
01-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Although Halloween II & H20 are my favorite of the Halloween sequels, I also don't think that 4-6 should simply be ignored.
It makes me wonder, though, why Laurie, by faking her own death, would leave her own daughter, Jamie, at the mercy of Uncle Mike & his druids, yet move heaven & earth to keep her son John from harm(Does John even know about his sister?).

Jason Voorhees
01-31-2002, 10:45 AM
I know that some of the sequels werent the best (3,5 and 6 spring to mind) But that doesn mean Halloween is a trilogy. You cannot deny the existence of a film just because it sucks. The film makers are full of shit, If anyone wants to think of Halloween as a trilogy then thats their opinion and I respect that. Though my opinion differs.

DWhots
02-01-2002, 12:30 AM
I've said it once already, that Michael died at the end of part two. It was said so by it's creator John Carpenter. But that doesn't mean I don't like the sequels. I don't count part three as one because it had nothing to do with the first two or any of the others. And I heard that Michael in H20 wasn't really him, so maybe if you count that then, and if the Michael in part eight is really him, then perhaps and I might be bullshitting here but wouldn't all the other Michael's in part 4567 be fake, being so then the film would be a trilogy, not counting three of course.
Thank for your time, this is Whot's Bullshit Thoughts.

Jo-Jo
02-01-2002, 08:35 AM
DWhots - What are you trying to say? I'm drunk but what you said made absolutly no sense at all. Are you saying that there is a trilogy or not?? I found it hard to follow you logic, if there was any. Michael was in parts 4-7, and he supposedly switched clothes with someone to survive H20. I hear this is explained in H8. I'm sorry if I didn't post a spoiler, but alcohol will do that to you.

And if Michael died in part two, didn't Loomis die as well?

Too much Soju. Sorry if I offended anyone.

DWhots
02-01-2002, 01:19 PM
To Jo-Jo, after rereading what I wrote I can agree with you, yes is doesn't make any sence. What I was getting at was I only think there are two actual Halloweens (Michael Meyers films) because I read somewhere and I'm not sure where, it was a long time ago, that John Carpenter and Debra Hill who created Michael say that in their mind he died at the end of 2 along with Dr. Loomis.
That's why the third had nothing to do with the first two. They were going for something new.
It wasn't until Universal sold the rights to Fox that the others came out, do I count those. Well yes, you have to, because it the continuation of the character.
I just find it sad that because a film makes money they subject us to sequal after sequel of the same thing.
Me I always like to see what the creator's say, after all they are the onces that brought it into the world and as my father always said, "Son, I brought into this world, I can take you out of it as well."

This is another one of Whots' Bullshit thoughts. Thank you again.

PS. As for the whole trilogy thing, I was half a sleep and thought of something witty to say, guess it came out sounding like I was some kind of street corner phrophet. Sorry.