PDA

View Full Version : Dean Koonz

Cyclonus
03-19-2001, 08:56 PM
Hey! Have you noticed there are only a handful of Koonz movies, while Stephen King has several dozen?

And when someone does make one, it's usually pretty obscure, like the direct-to-video "Servants of Twilight" or the TV movie "Face of Fear". (Noticeable exception: "Demon Seed".)

What gives, man? /ubb/confused.gif

Prairiedogking
03-19-2001, 10:26 PM
I love Dean Koontz books. However, all the movies based on the books sucked. I liked the movie Phantoms, but I never did read the book. I talked to someone that has read the book and said that compared to the book, the movie sucks.
Book WATCHERS was awsome, but all four movies based on the book were awful.
I would love to see a movie based off LIGHTNING. That would be cool. If they didn't screw it up like they have with the rest.

loner
03-19-2001, 11:16 PM
I read an interview with Koontz and he said after he watched the disastrous film adaptation of WATCHERS he then decided to be very careful and selective about who he sells the movie rights of his books to.

Smart move.

AntonioDelLago
03-19-2001, 11:41 PM
Dean R. Koontz's novel HIDEAWAY was excellent, but the film paled in comparison. THE FUNHOUSE was pretty good, though (both the book AND the movie).

[This message has been edited by AntonioDelLago (edited 03-20-2001).]

the night watchman
03-19-2001, 11:42 PM
Not a big Kootz fan, but I will say that his books are better than most of the movies adapted from them. Which I guess really ain't saying too much.

Cyclonus
03-20-2001, 10:09 AM
Loner-that kinda explains it. I also know that, in contrast, Stephen King almost never refuses to sell the rights to a particular property. So what do we have? Crap like "Children of the Corn". /ubb/mad.gif Hmmm...you'd think he'd wise up.

andy13
03-20-2001, 12:33 PM
THE FUNHOUSE BOOK WAS GREAT.
EVEN THOUGH THE FILM MAINLY USED THE ENDING OF THE BOOK, IT WAS A GREAT FILM.

mafia
03-20-2001, 04:37 PM
How about 'The Bad Thing'?? I love that book. It should be a movie.

Green
03-20-2001, 06:02 PM
Compared to the book, the film PHANTOMS is way off. The book goes into more detail surrounding the relationship between Jennifer and Lisa, why the cops went all loony, and a better explanation of the "mystery" Phantoms. Most books to films are like that.

Books I would like to see
NIGHT CHILLS
THE MASK

Cyclonus
03-20-2001, 07:08 PM
Green: The thing I don't understand is: why was the movie so short? They could easily have added another 20 minutes without breaking the "not under two hours" rule insisted upon by so many studios.

Green
03-20-2001, 08:02 PM
Coming off the success of SCREAM with Rose McGowan and Liev Schreiber they probably had to rush the film and get it out there to try to get some of that SCREAM audience, also studios think we can't handle long films, its insulting. They butchered DISTURBING BEHAVIOR, I have the DVD with all the deleted scenes I can see what they were trying to do there.

Cyclonus
02-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Well this is a very revelant topic so I'm digging it up again!

Since then I've read MIDNIGHT. It's a good book, but the last act is a bit of a letdown; I think it has potential for a good film though.

Another thing: haven't any "name" directors attempted to film Koontz's books? Even Stephen King's works were given the screen treatment by Rob Reiner, Brian DePalma, John Carpenter, and none other than Stanley Kubrick!

ERIN_LoJ
02-21-2002, 12:53 AM
Excellent writer! I loved the book phantoms but shut off the movie after the first 10 min.
Enjoyed watchers the book AND movie
Servants of Twilight was a great film IMO; didnt read the book yet.

Jason Voorhees
02-21-2002, 10:06 AM
Yeah; he is a great writer. Phantoms is easily one of my favorite books. The film based on it pretty decent as a stand alone film, but falls when Juxtapositioned to the novel. Regardless; It's probably the best film I've seen adapted from his literary work.

[This message has been edited by Jason Voorhees (edited 08-27-2002).]

Cyclonus
05-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Once again, I want to bring up this thread, because I'm still not clear on something.

Dean Koontz is a very profilic writer. How many books has he written over the last thirty years? Dozens. Surely producers and directors have expressed interest in filming them at least once in a while? Would anyone know of any failed attempts to bring his work to the screen? There have to be a few interesting stories on the subject.

X-Nightcrawler
05-21-2004, 11:57 PM
*runs Koontz over with car*
"Oh my god, are you Stephen King?"
"No, I'm Dean Koontz"
"Oh"
*backs up and runs him over again*

I never read anything from him. I started reading and loving "One Door Away From Heaven" but got bored fast.