View Full Version : Lucio Fulci's Zombie DVD Review

Philip Marlowe
05-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Lucio Fulci's Zombie
Well after buying Lucio Fulci The Black Cat an lov'in it, I thought I'll shootout another 17 or so buckaroos' and buy Zombie. OK let me tell ya, Zombie is the type of movie you bring a bunch of friends over and have one big laugh after another. As you do this you lose any and all concept of what's going on but this is were it really gets funny, back within seconds you know basically what has happened & what's going to happen.

Characters look in fright at the horror that comes their way clocked at less than 1 mph, But wait they can't move there stunned, there shocked it's coming closer arghhh, the jugler is torn out blood spurts everywhere.

It's all pure shock value and in good fun I might add. I think this DVD is more along the lines of a good rent not buy. I was hoping for something so much better but what I got was Stickly, Sicky, Gory, Cheesy, Badie Acting & a down right Awful Script.

The Tranfer is shockingly bad, tremendous grin, flicker of dots some lines run threw also the lighting and color changes from scene to scene. I didn't think it could have been this bad considering Fulci's Black Cat, Which I own has a terffic Tranfer.

Zombie comes with a Widescreen Presentation (2.35:1), Audio Commentary with Star Ian McCulloch and Diabolik Magazine Editor Jason J. Slater, Theatrical Trailer,TV Spots and Radio Spots.

Anchor Bay has always brought out good product, product that are priced reasibly and have some nice features. I still think there job on the DVD was admrible. Keep in mind that the director probably wasn't working with the best film stocks of the day and it's all around low budget some things just can't be helped.

If your a fan of the director or the genre I say buy it if not rent it and get a good laugh and fell great that you didn't fork out the extra dough.

05-20-2002, 05:17 PM
I dunno, I thought the transfer was pretty good, considering the many times I've rented it on VHS. This is a classic movie in my opinion; I loved the look of the zombies and the hopeless vibe given off when they are trapped, as well as the cheesy as hell ending. Buy it, I say!

dellamorte dellamore
05-20-2002, 05:26 PM
The transfer is excellent.Anyone who says that it's lacking in color saturation,or contrast,or that the blacks aren't black enough,or whatever the hell they look for,either has a crummy television or their eyesight is on the fritz.

The image and sound quality have never been better,nor will they get any better unless there is a superbit version offered sometime(no way that's going to happen).

This film looks even better than some current offerings in the cinema world,for get about how it was shot in 78,it still holds up .

I've read some reviews about how the dvd was substandard,all i have to say is,freak em',i'm sick of these so called DVD experts who analyze every little detail,how do they enjoy anything.

If you like fulci,this is his best,so buy it,if you like zombies,this is one of the best,so buy it,if you like horror,rent it on dvd(Region 1 release is the only way to go),then see how you like it.But for a couple of more bucks you could just buy it,so take a chance,it's an amazing film from the late 70's.Just don't expect to feel nice and happy at the end,this is'nt some Hollywood with sunsets.

This is'nt directed towards PM,but some reviews i've read.

[This message has been edited by dellamorte dellamore (edited 05-20-2002).]

Philip Marlowe
05-20-2002, 05:58 PM
I'm no DVD expert thats for sure. I've just started to get into Fulci. I thought Zombies was fun and I'm not going to put the movie down and all. my expectations weren't high for the tranfer either and I haven't seen the VHS version so I can't match things up. I'm guessing and I think this is a pretty good guess, that this new DVD tranfer is the best Zombie has ever looked which is terrific because Anacor bay did an admrible job like always.

Have you of you guys seen THE BLACK CAT i'd love to hear what yeah think ?

dellamorte dellamore
05-21-2002, 12:49 PM
I have the region 1 dvd as imagine you do to,but i did'nt experience any of the problems you with the image you did.I don't know maybe you bought a defective dvd or you saw something i did'nt.

I've realized the region 1 north american rlease dvd's usually have the best picture and sound.I don't know why,maybe it's the equipment they use and the talent on hand behing the transfer.

Check out The Beyond,probably his second best film in my opinion.The gore is just about on the same level,as is the acting,and narrative.