PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Shopping Day of my Life

Scully1888
07-27-2002, 03:22 PM
Yesterday I visited MISSING in Glasgow and bought the following films at these absurd prices:

Poltergeist (VHS) - 3.99 (Especially sweet as it's been taken off the shelves in the UK for some reason)
The Exorcist 3 (VHS) - 2.99 (I hadn't seen this in the UK before)
Cannibal Ferox (DVD) - 7.99 (Cut, yes, but this'll do until I can find a site that sells the uncut one to the UK with free shipping)
Bad Taste (VHS) - 2.99 (Haven't seen this before for such a cheap price)
Zombie Flesh Eaters (VHS) - 2.99 (Again, it's a tad uncut but it'll do me for now)
Night Of The Living Dead 30th Anniversary Edition (DVD) - $4.99 (I know I know, it's meant to be a blasphemous shit-fest of the original version, but I wanted to see what the fuss was all about... plus add to my collection of Night Of The Living Dead DVDs and VHSs (5 now and counting, including the remake)

Not bad for a day of shopping, in one shop.

Total - 6 films, 25.94

Psychocandy
07-27-2002, 03:26 PM
Yeah. Missing is a great shop for bargains. I once saw a Puppet Master DVD box set in there and for the next three weeks I saved and saved only to find that someone had bought it when I returned to the shop with the money clutched in my sweaty mitt. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dr Martin Luther Loomis
07-27-2002, 03:27 PM
Congrats, Scully! It's a great feeling snatching a batch at a bargain! Reminds me of my old Tupperware party days...

Scully1888
07-27-2002, 03:42 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Psychocandy:
Yeah. Missing is a great shop for bargains. I once saw a Puppet Master DVD box set in there and for the next three weeks I saved and saved only to find that someone had bought it when I returned to the shop with the money clutched in my sweaty mitt. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/smile.gif</font>

I would assume that the smiley face at the end of your post suggests that you still remember it was ME that bought said Puppet Master boxset.

I do apologise, and if I ever find a way to tape DVDs we should meet up and I shall promptly hand you taped versions of every film. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/smile.gif

Psychocandy
07-27-2002, 03:52 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scully1888:
I would assume that the smiley face at the end of your post suggests that you still remember it was ME that bought said Puppet Master boxset.

I do apologise, and if I ever find a way to tape DVDs we should meet up and I shall promptly hand you taped versions of every film. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/smile.gif</font>

Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it. I'm not a huge fan of the Puppet Master movies but the idea of having a marathon cheezathon during which I intended to watch all of them back to back was too much to resist. I'm aware of the health implications involved in watching that many b-movies one after the other. I was, however, willing to take the risk. Heh.

I rarely leave Missing without buying something. A couple of days ago I picked up the Anchor Bay release of House on DVD for 4.99. Bargain I thought until I watched the movie and found it didn't live up to my memories. It was still fun. Just a bit cheesier than I remember.

[This message has been edited by Psychocandy (edited 07-27-2002).]

thingsgoinon
07-27-2002, 04:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scully1888:

Night Of The Living Dead 30th Anniversary Edition (DVD) - $4.99 (I know I know, it's meant to be a blasphemous shit-fest of the original version, but I wanted to see what the fuss was all about... plus add to my collection of Night Of The Living Dead DVDs and VHSs (5 now and counting, including the remake)
- 25.94</font>

hehe...well it is good for a more than a few laughs at least,....Mushu anyone? http://www.joblo.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Jewbo
07-27-2002, 10:59 PM
good shoppin scully.

btw i can tell u how 2 put dvds onto tape just need sum info.

1 what do u use to plug ur dvd into ur tv? scart or av?

2 does ur video have scart or av sockets.

if u find out how wud u sell me a copy of bloody murder with audio commentary? i'll trade 4 troll 2 if u want i so badly wanna hear that.

thanks.

stevereno
07-28-2002, 12:11 AM
i was at my local HMV yesterday and they were selling 2 movies for 15 dollars(canadian)

they had........

PITCH BLACK
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD(remake)
THE THING(remake)
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET
STARSHIP TOOPERS
URBAN LEGEND
THE KARATE KID(close enough)

SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Jewbo
07-29-2002, 02:09 AM
im havin a big ebay spendin spree tho 95% of the time i get out bidded with 1 min left.

JCR
07-29-2002, 03:06 PM
And you may have to buy NOTLD again. Anchor Bay have a R2 set of Night/Dawn/Day of the dead out in september. It has good sounding extras and I would assume it's the 1st time we are gonna get dawn uncut here

Psychocandy
07-29-2002, 03:58 PM
JCR...I hate to disappoint you but I suspect that Dawn will still be cut. I checked on the BBFC website and the movie hasn't been resubmitted lately. That's not to say that there still isn't time. I honestly believe it will be the same as the last release which if memory serves was only missing the gunning down of the zombie children. I'll probably still buy it though. The extra disc looks cool and it's only 24.99 from www.play.com. (http://www.play.com.)

jenzie
07-29-2002, 06:11 PM
Heck, never knew MISSING sold videos or DVD's!!

Thanks for the heads-up.

And Poltergeist, Taped it in Widescreen off TCM.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The Exorcist 3 (VHS) - 2.99 (I hadn't seen this in the UK before)</font>
WHAT!!! You haven't seen it!!! I rented it out years ago AND it was on TV (Channel4 I think), also on sale for years too!!!

You didn't see The Deadly Spawn there, did you??

JCR
07-30-2002, 07:02 AM
Psychocandy

If you check other AB uk releases on bbfc.co.uk- evil dead, withnail + I etc., you'll notice that a new cert. with the distributor changed to Anchor bay appears on the site, and that has not happened yet. I don't think the fact it's close to the release matter- the recent west wing set did not appear on bbfc.co.uk till after the set was out, I would think the bbfc tell the company what cert somethings gonna be in advance of the paperwork going through.

I am hopeful for dawn because I can't believe the bbfc would still cut it. The head explosion is heavily dated effects wise and they've passed worse gore than that since the last time dawn went through. As for shots of children being machine gunned, the bbfc passed Rambo 3 since dawn was last cut with shots of a child being machine gunned in a more realistic setting than dawn, so it would be illogical to approve that but not dawn. And so I am hopeful. You'd think I'd know better wouldn't you?

[This message has been edited by JCR (edited 07-30-2002).]