PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's IT

shortyguy12189
08-02-2002, 01:15 AM
I always thought that this movie birthed the scariest movie villain of all time. I would like to hear everyone's comments on this wonderful film.

sodajerkpoet
08-02-2002, 01:40 AM
IT!!!
I remember seeing that for the first time when I was around nine...very scary stuff! Little Georgie's opening sequence was terrifying, (made me steer clear of sewers for quie a while) and the Losers Club scenes were incredible -- I loved Richie Tozier, the funny red-head.
I rented the film again about a year ago and I still love it. The half with the grown-up Losers Club wasn't quite as gripping as the childhood scenes - - the same goes for the book. Still, it remains one of my favorite horror movies. And the ending! Wow, loved the ending. By harnessing the powers held in something from his past, Bill Denbrough was able to do something he couldn't do years before as a kid - - save someone he loved.
The characters were easy to relate to - didn't we all know a Bev Marsh or a Ben Hanscom? Weren't we once afraid of a kid like Henry Bowers?
And let's not forget Pennywise. "You die if you try, you DIE if you try! We all float down here - and YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!"

I know this film is disliked by lots of people, but I'll always love it and consider it a classic among the Stephen King adaptation films.

[This message has been edited by sodajerkpoet (edited 08-02-2002).]

Congerking
08-02-2002, 02:06 AM
i am 19 years old. whenever i watch this movie, it scares the living shit out of me. one of the only things in this world that i find EXTREMLY scary are clowns. this movie gets to that part of me where i have to look behind me or look up real fast after washing my face in the sink hoping not to see a evil clown behind me. it scares the crap out of me, but i keep watching it. its a great flick, one of king's best. people shouldn't despise this mini series. they should just watch it and enjoy. (and then sleep with the light on http://www.joblo.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Yog Sothoth001
08-02-2002, 02:23 AM
Maybe I'm just spoiled but I read the book when I was eleven years old, and it remains one of my favorite books of all time. The movie was good as far as movies go, but when compared with the book, it comes off as kind of flaccid. The stuff set in the 50's is really good, and gets the atmosphere and basics of the story really well, but it falls down horribly when it gets to the adult stuff. The climax is especially disappointing, but then the climax as written in the book is pretty much unfilmable.

Anyway, what I'm saying is if you liked the movie, use that as a reason to read the book. It really is worth the time and effort. I consider it to be one of the best horror novels ever written, and that's probably why the movie came out good at all.

Congerking
08-02-2002, 02:57 AM
im just curious, but how long is the book. page wise????

peacemaker
08-02-2002, 04:32 AM
I was a little boy too when I saw this movie first time. It really did scared a shit out of me when I was like around 8 or something. Since that I have scared clowns everytime I see them.

peacemaker

robk
08-02-2002, 07:02 AM
While not as good as the book, It does have great scary moments & a nice cast, especially the scene stealing Tim Curry, who was perfect casting as Pennywise.
I've never looked at clowns the same way since.

Donnie Darko
08-02-2002, 08:28 AM
The book is about 1100 pages long.

However, everyone's assessment is correct, the book is on an order of magnitude greater than the movie. There were many scenes in the book that never would have made it past mpaa censors, and given the fact that it was a made for tv movie, that destroys any chance at all of those scenes even being filmed. For anyone who's ever read the book, you'll know what I mean when I say the scene with the flying leaches was <U>fucked beyond belief</U>. Regardless, give it a read, it's not a single sitting book, but I've gotten through the whole thing in two sittings. Just make sure you eat before you get too far into the book, it can make you squeamish in parts.

Gypsy Poet69
08-02-2002, 09:39 AM
IT is awesome. The book has more detail but the movie serves it's purpose and does justice to the books. The kids who were cast in the movie were great. They were people I grew up with. It is awesome!!! The clown is scary as hell. I mean it!!! I am scared of clowns and man, Pennywise is the epitamy of EVIL!!! Watch it and enjoy!!!

FeydRautha
08-02-2002, 09:44 AM
The film was fun, entertaining and a bit scary (I *loved* the talking head in the fridge), but as has been said before I much preferred the book to the movie. There were certain nuances in the story that the movie just couldn't capture.

I'm a big fan of Tim Curry, and I think he rocked as Pennywise.

NbdysPerfect
08-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Thank God a lot of you like this movie! I always thought this movie was scary as hell and I was surprised it came from being on TV. I remember taping it and I could never sit through it all the way through when I was a kid because I got sooo scared. My favorite moment is when the balloon rises up out of the sink and explodes and blood goes everywhere. That part scared the shit out of me! I'm excited it's finally going to be released on DVD, I cannot wait!! You all make me want to go read the book, I haven't read a Stephen King book all the way, but maybe now I will. Hehe

~ Troy

Nightmare_Dreaming
08-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Hated IT. Get it? I hated IT , haha. Well n e ways , it does have its creppy momments and all but the way they kill IT is stupid and its too lon to keep me interested.

fortyoneshots
08-06-2002, 03:50 PM
Pennywise the clown was a great villain, and Tim Curry was brilliant, but I didn't like the movie too much. With the exception of the beginning with Georgie and the scene in the library (with the balloons), there wasn't all that much in the three hours of the movie. The climax was downright awful. But, Pennywise is still a cool villain

ScaryFreak1827
08-06-2002, 03:53 PM
This is my FAVORITE scary movie. I enjoy every creepy scene (except for the ending which could be a little improved). The acting in this movie is great, especially Tim Curry, and the movie has many great memorable scenes (the bloody sink, the shower, the werewolf, etc.) I can't wait for this to come on DVD and I hope there are some good special features.

ScaryFreak1827
08-06-2002, 03:55 PM
Stupid double post!!!

[This message has been edited by ScaryFreak1827 (edited 08-06-2002).]

Flesh Eater
08-13-2002, 03:49 PM
I lvoe that movie.I own it myself and find the first half of the movie to be the best.

kubotakhan01
08-14-2002, 01:13 AM
The book was really good. The movie sucked ass. I was bored to tears.

Re-animator
08-14-2002, 01:43 AM
This movie was great

and scared the hell outta me as a kid..it was long as well

Gregorious8
08-14-2002, 01:52 AM
I just loved the movie. The freakest scene is when Bev goes to visit here dad when she is older. That Grandma freaked the shit out of me!

I'm now in the middle of reading the book.

Juice
08-14-2002, 07:16 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gregorious8:
I just loved the movie. The freakest scene is when Bev goes to visit here dad when she is older. That Grandma freaked the shit out of me!

I'm now in the middle of reading the book.</font>

I've read it three times and I still love it... just can't get enough...

Juice
08-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Still, I think there should be some more scenes from te book in the movie... I was dissapointed when I saw they cut out the rotting hobo scene, and the scene with Adrian being eaten after getting his ass kicked... that was harsh...
Of course it would be difficult to get these scenes is a movie without the MPAA being annoying...