PDA

View Full Version : Best music composer in horror (if you know any)

DeadByDawn
12-05-2001, 02:44 PM
Who composes the best musics in horror movies? This might be a little hard, in case you don't know very much composers (if any). I like Fabio Frizzi (he made some music for Fulci) and John Carpenter (no introduction needed).

countchocula
12-05-2001, 02:53 PM
Danny Elfman

Cyclonus
12-05-2001, 02:55 PM
Howard Shore (Se7en, Silence of the Lambs)

CAPTAIN BLAKE
12-05-2001, 03:34 PM
John Carpenter, Goblin, Bernard Herrmann, Cevin (SKINNY PUPPY) Key, Pino Donaggio.

Antonio
12-05-2001, 03:56 PM
John Carpenter (HALLOWEEN and THE FOG), Pino Donaggio (CARRIE and DRESSED TO KILL) and Bernard Herrmann (PSYCHO).

Dehydrator
12-05-2001, 04:25 PM
Goblin!

Gore 4 All
12-05-2001, 05:10 PM
Carpenter's music is always top notch and always fits the movies he does perfectly.

Goblins music for Argento films are some of the best film music ever.

zeke1313
12-06-2001, 01:05 AM
JOE LoDUCA, the guy who did the music for the movie Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 Dead By Dawn (he might of did Army of Darkness too but I dont have it on hand a friends got it). He did some wicked music for those movies, very intense!

Salamar
12-08-2001, 03:53 PM
John Carpenter
Goblin
Pino Donaggio

Danreiter
12-09-2001, 08:20 PM
Pino Donaggio (Dressed To Kill, Carrie, Body Double)
Bernard Herrman (Psycho, Vertigo, Sisters)
John Carpenter (Halloween)
Goblin (Suspiria, Deep Red)
Jerry Goldsmith (The Omen)

FeydRautha
12-09-2001, 08:56 PM
I love all of John Carpenter's scores. What a multi-talented guy.

Angelo Badalamenti - he's done most of David Lynch's weird and wonderful scores. Very atmospheric.

And I know he's more mainstream, but John Williams' work on Jaws still gives me shivers, especially the "shark theme".

Finally, Jack Nitzsche. He did the original music for Carpenter's "Starman". When I'm feeling soppy, I usually pop that soundtrack in my stereo.

Scully1888
12-10-2001, 06:33 AM
Has to be Charles Bernstein, composer of the classic Nightmare On Elm Street theme music, which is so sweet that I made it a ringtone for my Nokia phone.

[This message has been edited by Scully1888 (edited 12-10-2001).]

Cyclonus
12-10-2001, 10:43 AM
Christopher Young--Hellraiser and especially Hellbound: Hellraiser II

Elgyn
12-10-2001, 06:54 PM
All these choices are good, I`d like to add Fred Myrow (the "Phantasm" flicks) and Harry Manfredini (the "Friday the 13th" flicks). And yes, Joeseph LoDuca scored "Army Of Darkness", too.

ParileseMonster
12-10-2001, 08:19 PM
Jesus Christ!!! ONly a few mentions of Jerry Goldsmith and Christopher Young are you kidding these guys kick major horror ass!!! Jerry Goldsmith personally does not like horror movies but he does a fine job with his scores for horror!!! Alien, Omen, Poltergeist, Mephisto Waltz, etc. This man has done well over 200 scores for various projects including horror and he is the man!!! Christopher Young kicks ass and is well on his way to being of the same stature as Goldsmith is. Half of the other guys mentioned are great in their own right but have not nearly as much under their belts as Goldsmith that man by god rules!!!! http://www.joblo.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Cyclonus
12-10-2001, 09:16 PM
Shit you're right, his "Alien" score is a classic!

Kevin Mathieson
12-11-2001, 02:52 AM
I LOVE Christopher Young's music and feel he is completely underrated and underappreciated. His scores for Urban Legend and Species elevated those movies!!

Does anyone else love Young's work for Urban Legend? I think Jamie Blanks should've stuck with Young for Valentine instead of Don Davis (not that Davis is bad or anything, just not as good as Young). I love the main theme that plays during the opening titles and the piano theme that plays when Natalie (Alicia Witt) pops up. And the music during Sasha's (Tara Reid) chase/death scene is amazing. I love the creepy music that plays during the scene with Natalie and the Janitor (Julian Richings) in the truck. Amazing.

The music for Species, especially the main theme with the whole vocal arrangements, really elevates this up from the standard Naked Alien Chick on the Loose flicks. Too bad they didn't use Young for Species II.

Well here's my list and their compositions that I love:

Aliens (James Horner)
Carrie (Pino Dinaggio)
Final Destination (Shirley Walker)
Ginger Snaps (Mike Shields)
Halloween (John Carpenter)
Psycho (Bernard Herrmann)
The Relic (John Debney)
Se7en (Howard Shore)
Single White Female (not horror I know but pretty creepy) (Howard Shore)
What Lies Beneath (Alan Silvestri)

And ALL the music composed by Danny Elfman, Jerry Goldsmith and Christopher Young!

DeadByDawn
12-11-2001, 08:35 AM
I agree with ParileseMonster, Cyclonus and Kevin Mathieson!

bowieee
07-03-2002, 04:25 PM
Philip Glass
Danny Elfman
John carpenter
Goblin
Tangerine Dream

SteveSzyk
07-03-2002, 04:30 PM
I'll have to add Fabio Frizzi, who's done scores for many of Lucio Fulci's flicks. Although I have only seen Zombie, which had an amazing score, but I've downloaded many songs from some of his other scores, and there all amazing. They made me want to hunt down The Beyond even more. The Italians are the best when it comes to horror scores. Other credits: A Cat in the Brain, Manhattan Baby, Seven Notes in Black, Zombie, The Beyond, Gates of Hell.

[This message has been edited by SteveSzyk (edited 07-03-2002).]

stevereno
07-03-2002, 06:03 PM
ALAN HOWARTH
PHILIP GLASS

SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Romero&Juliet
07-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Danny Elfman can do absolutely ANYTHING.

and andrew badalamen-whatever. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
I actually sold my Lost highway soundtrack. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/frown.gif

nickbabs1186
07-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Danny Elfman, I'd say John Carpenter but I only like the HalloweeN theme. I think the rest of his work is bad, music wise.

ICP RULZ
07-03-2002, 07:45 PM
There is only two.Harry Manfredini.And the great one John Carpenter.

DeadByDawn
07-04-2002, 04:51 AM
Who did the music's for Cemetery Man? It wasn't the band Tangerine Dream (I think) even someone has said they did it.

aNiceChianti
07-04-2002, 09:21 PM
I think Danny Elfman has to be the best composer for horror movies.

But James Horner is absolutely amazing and, oh, I forgot the original horror movie composer:

Bernard Herrmann

Oh, and also Wendy Carlos and Bela Bartak for their work on THE SHINING

aNiceChianti
07-04-2002, 09:25 PM
By the way: Bernard Harrmann is the amazing composer for many Hitchcock films like Vertigo

Elfman is just brilliant (such as Nightmare Before Christmas)

Lady Summerisle
07-05-2002, 01:31 AM
Fabio Frizzi, Fulci would be forgettable without his music, like the superlative THE BEYOND.

Baldamenti for every David Lynch film. TWIN PEAKS has a haunting, sad sdtrk. The Spanish Crying is even more so.

DANNY ELFMAN! He is the man. Even Tim Burton likes him.

Goblin, as annoying as they can be, the disco theme for DAWN OF THE DEAD, combined with Muzak is one of the best scores ever. Suspiria gives me a headache.

Henry Manfredini- F13 would be nothing w/o its score, and the 3rd part makes me want to get down with my bad self. I feel bad now.

Cushing
07-06-2002, 10:09 AM
Whilst I agree that all the composers mentioned deserve the utmost respect I must say that I was stunned not to find the true master of the horror score mentioned . I'm talking about James Bernard who was the man behind most Hammer classics .His famous 3 bar motif dra-cu-la is only one example of a truly fantastic career.
His scores from countless Hammer horrors created the atmosphere that we all love .He died this year but I was fortunate enough to meet him in 1999 when I told him how much I admired his work .He was a true gentleman and it was a sad loss when he was taken .

Andrew Tom
07-06-2002, 10:50 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeadByDawn:
Who did the music's for Cemetery Man? </font>

According to IMDb it's by Riccardo Biseo and Manuel De Sica.

Utter
07-14-2002, 06:58 PM
Alan Howarth (halloween 4,5,6,7) and Danny Lux (halloween8)!!!

stevereno
07-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Danny Lux's score for HALLOWEEN 8 was very well done

SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Boogeyman
07-14-2002, 07:37 PM
JOHN CARPENTER(for introducing the greatest music into the horror world.)
ALAN HOWARTH(for putting so many twists and intresting turns on the classic score)
JOHN OTTMAN(putting a "classical" twist on the Halloween score)
DANNY LUX(for having the GREATEST score since the original HALLOWEEN)

later

Jason
07-14-2002, 07:48 PM
John Carpenter and John Ottman(he should've sticked to composing music and not directing horror films ***Urban Legends Final Cut***)

robk
07-15-2002, 08:11 AM
There's also John Williams's classic Jaws score, not to mention Howard Shore's equally memorable music for The Fly(1986).

APzombie
07-15-2002, 03:39 PM
John Williams is the ultimate composer in the buisness!

Hobb's End Horror
07-16-2002, 03:35 AM
While I agree with a lot of the previously mentioned (notably Carpenter,Goblin, and Tangerine Dream), I wonder...am I the only one who thinks Ennio Morricone does great scores? Anyone here fond of the music for THE THING? He did that one, not Carpenter.

Oh, and Elfman's good. Not as good as his reputation, *perhaps* (I said "perhaps", don't attack), but good. Frizzi's got some moody stuff, too.

Elgyn, Myrow's PHANTASM work was super-groovy, but besides that, and SOYLENT GREEN, what else did he do?

DeadByDawn
07-16-2002, 04:22 AM
Most of the people think that John Carpenter composed The Thing's score, but it was really Ennio Morricone.

And oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot Danny Elfman and Christopher Young. Their scores are fantastic!

T.J. fallon
07-16-2002, 12:42 PM
elliot goldenthal
marco beltrami
christopher young

teenkiller
09-07-2002, 01:35 AM
Charles Bernstein, Harry Manfredini, John Carpenter, and Fred Myrow and Malcolm Seagrave. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.