PDA

View Full Version : Reviews: High Fidelity

JoBlo
11-18-2001, 02:43 PM
JoBlo's 7/10 review of HIGH FIDELITY can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/highfidelity.htm
Your past movie reviews from May 1998 - November 2001 can be found there as well.

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

GUIDELINES: CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS ONLY!

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended = http://www.joblo.com/ubb/icons/icon7.gif
Not recommended = http://www.joblo.com/ubb/icons/icon8.gif
In the middle = http://www.joblo.com/ubb/icons/icon9.gif

areyoubeingserved
06-20-2002, 12:59 AM
A fucking brilliant comedy that's so rich in character development that it screams put me in your top 5.

John Cusack doing his normal mope routine does it with class and makes you forget that its part of his agenda to do so.

Jack Black is a revelation, if he was a cult I'd be the first to sign up, spitting out his dialogue with such a forced and brutal coolness.

Add to that a great soundtrack (what do you expect, its set in a vinyl store) and you've got a corker of a film. With some of the best direct to the camera dialogue since FERRIS BUELER, how could you say no? Very well written.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
06-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Call me cynical if you will but I saw nothing special in this film, sure it was good enough to watch but not to go out of your way to watch. John Cusack is an amazing actor and I find it impossible to fault his performance but I found is character was too unlikeable, I decided at the beginning that he was a bit of a nerd and so couldn't identify with him. The plot seemed overall completely unoriginal, there were some bright sparks but the end left me feeling sick from being happy! There was some amazingly funny dialogue but the humour often seemed to take the backseat when it came to the story telling, it felt as if I were watching two films, 1: a drama about a guy trying to find love, 2: a comedy about guys goofing off in a record store. The one scene which stands out above all others is where John Cusack imagines what he could do to Tim Robbins, The editing is brilliant, the dialogue is great, the acting is superb and it just has a feel of originality, pity the rest of the film didn't live up to the standards of this one scene.

This is not however a terrible film, and there are good aspects to it, it's funny in places and it's easy to watch.

5/10

<OB>

lilthrillseekr
06-24-2002, 03:20 PM
Ok I know alot of people who worship this movie and I do not get it at all.. I can hardly stay up for the first 10 minutes.. it took me a good 10 to 11 times to watch it to see the end cause it is just a whole lot of complaining... blegh blegh blegh why cusack why?? you are so much better to play such a horible movie http://www.joblo.com/ubb/frown.gif

herculeez
06-29-2002, 08:28 PM
How can one sum up High Fidelity...PURE GENIUS!
That about does it. This film is just comedy at it's best! From the genius writer Nick Hornby a great adaptation is made from book to screen and it makes you want to watch the film over and over again.
It is such an intelligent film, with it all revolving around music and girlfriends...i mean throw in movies and you've got my life, it's stunning!
Considering i read the book first i am shocked to say that the film lives up to the expectations. Many films do not live up to the books, but this one truly does and brings out the characters that Hornby was trying to portray in such an incisive manor.
A film that you can quote all day and John Cusack and Jack Black making nothing short of memorable performances throughout make it such a pleasure to watch.
Frears does some excellent direction and it would be most welcomed if we could see both him and cusack (producer and star) combining together again.

A real treat.
9/10

MuzzleBlast
07-01-2002, 08:40 AM
One of the most perfectly cast movies ever. Jack Black WAS that guy, the dude who played Dick WAS Dick, John Cusack was perfect in his part, that Norwegian chick whose name I can't spell or pronounce was perfect, everyone was perfect. Maybe this isn't one of the deepest or most important movies ever made, but it is highly enjoyable, original and funny.

MovieMan75
04-16-2003, 09:48 PM
Good flick. I really enjoyed the plot, the execution, the idea of a record store, the supporting cast, the humor, and the cameos...the ony thing I didn't like was John Cusack's character. I just did not think Rob was that likable of a protagonist, and not connecting with him really ruined some of the movie for me. I mean, if you can't like the main character, the what else is there? But I did find Jack Black to be hilarious (as usual), the continous "Top Five" lists were funny, and there was a whole host of good things about this simple, enjoyable film.

My Rating: 6.5/10

scottish-movie-freak
04-17-2003, 04:01 PM
I was bitterly disappointed with High Fidelity. I'm a big fan of the Nick Hornby books (High Fidelity, About A Boy, How To Be Good..Still to read Fever Pitch) but found the movie to be quite dull.The performances were good, Jack Black being a standout but I found nothing else to recommend this movie to anyone else. A let-down in every way.

3/10

dillhead005
09-15-2003, 11:36 PM
High Fidelity is not for all people. If you are just your average dull movie watcher who can't spot pop cultural references or dry humor, you will not like this film. BUT for those of us with a little depth, you will be plesently suprised with the films wit and charm. John Cusack is always a charmer and does great here as our main character/hero. You love him and feel for his situation. Jack Black is hillarious as the offbeat friend/record store employee (he actually says that Evil Dead 2 is the best movie of all time, Right on BLACK!!) Cathrine Zeta-Jones always anoys me a little, shes hot but comes off as a little bit of a bitch and i didnt see her in the role. But hey, its a minor flaw. Tim Robins does fine as the arsehole boyfriend we love to hate. See this movie expecting a well put together, intelegent, hip comedy. Booya!!

Benny_Blades
09-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Another John and Joan Cussack film i enjoyed. It's good of John to take care of his sister. But as much as i enjoyed John's performance, the secondary characters are the reason i watch this movie again and again. Jack Black is one of the funniest men in hollywood and on the music scene. (I am of course refering to his band Tenacious D.) I thought it was creative although we first saw the technique of narrating in ferris bueller's day off, one difference was John was narrating while people were around and no one seemed to notice.
I like the less-than-typical ending. She comes back for the wrong reason but it works out in the end. "The night Laura's daddy died, sha na nana nana nana na, Mother what a night it really was, brother what a night it really was angina's tough".