PDA

View Full Version : Reviews: Bless the Child

JoBlo
11-16-2001, 12:01 PM
JoBlo's 3/10 review of BLESS THE CHILD can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/blessthechild.htm
Your past movie reviews from May 1998 - November 2001 can be found there as well.

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

GUIDELINES: CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS ONLY!

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended = http://www.joblo.com/ubb/icons/icon7.gif
Not recommended = http://www.joblo.com/ubb/icons/icon8.gif
In the middle = http://www.joblo.com/ubb/icons/icon9.gif

tapr00ter
11-17-2001, 02:32 AM
5/10
There's always negative controversy that surrounds any film that deals specifically with religion and faith. However, I found Bless the Child somewhat engaging and fun. Kim Basinger and Rufus Sewell are cheated for a cheap script, but perform well and makeup for it. Holliston Coleman makes an adorable early debut, with a commendable performance. What drags things down the most are the "special" effects. Flames and other hell-like things are poorly rendered and put together. Lastly, what's with the brief appearance by Christina Ricci? Usually when I watch a movie with her involved, I would expect a more interesting and vital part. It's puzzling to me why she took the role.

idealdiscountdude
11-21-2001, 09:42 PM
Shit On A Stick

Bless The Child has to be one of the most trerrible films ever made. It's sad that in a film that stars an Academy Award winner and a semi-high profile cast, the only decent acting is done by an 8 year old.

Kim Basinger is utterly horrible in this film about "good vs. evil". Rufus Sewell looked like he was stoned while making this film and why is Christina Ricci in this???

The screenplay seemed like it was written for a SCI-FI channel telefilm. The dialogue was godawful, the visual effects were about as realistic looking as Joan River's face, the acting was terrible and the film was boring.

Bless The Child is pure and utter trash. A terrible waste of money!

1/10 or NO STARS

brandon918
02-19-2002, 07:33 PM
A real shitter. I dont even know where to began, the script sucked as did the acting. ***spoiler*** The only thing that was alright was that Christina Ricci died and it was pretty cool looking. The CGI sucked too, it looked so fake and looked like it came from the 80's.

The rest of the cast sucked just like the CGI. Kim Basinger is looking old and Jimmy Smits was just lame. The only good actress was the little girl. She gave an alright performence but was brought down by the script.

3.5\10

kubotakhan01
07-25-2002, 03:05 PM
"Bless the Child" was a borefest. The characters were uninteresting, it seemed as if the director was deliberately trying to make the film dark and gloomy, but it came off as simply dull. Even the story, which had many shortcomings and plot holes, felt like the script was written in a documentary like format. Avoid this film.

zsofika
03-15-2003, 07:47 PM
i thought the point of the movie and what it expressed so
beautiful...is the presence of the holy spirit....of course..the
dark side....destruction....herd instinct...always contrast....
spiritual energies....from one who has been there...well
done...but i wonder if alot of souls would understand...the
deeper meanings in the symbolism...or even go to a movie
looking for it....from one who has felt the hand of god...

Dude
03-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Um.... OKAY...... :rolleyes:

Watching my POO swirl down the toilet toward wherever the hell POO goes, held my interest more than this horror wannabe.

Waste O' Time....

zsofika
03-17-2003, 08:39 PM
of course i was being facetious....i am commenting on what
the intention of this film was...i personally don't need these
kinds of assaults on my psyche...but as picasso said...you
don't have to spell it out only indicate it....who it was meant
for...what audience...is beyond me...but i suppose is you
what to talk about religious hallucinations...hysteria...well...

Cronos
12-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Bless The Child has one of the most decieving trailers ive ever seen, it would have you believe its a nice horror fest filled with creatures which is sadly not the case, it does have a couple of nice scenes and shot such as the creatures flying around the top of a building, the bedroom filled with rats and the brief few seconds shot of a goat demon, sadly these cant make up for the rest of it which is a complete mess. the acting is weak, none of the actors are at all believable or give their characters any life. the script is also bad and has some terrible dialogue. the direction is also weak, there are a couple of nice sequences but its mainly just very mundane and boring, a shame since the trailer had my hopes up

3/10