View Full Version : Reviews: The Blair Witch Project

11-14-2001, 11:04 PM
JoBlo's 4/10 review of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/blairwitchproject.htm
Your past movie reviews from May 1998 - November 2001 can be found there as well.

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended = http://www.joblo.com/ubb/icons/icon7.gif
Not recommended = http://www.joblo.com/ubb/icons/icon8.gif
In the middle = http://www.joblo.com/ubb/icons/icon9.gif

The Flickster
11-14-2001, 11:30 PM
THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (1999) Rating: 3/10

JoBlo, your review pretty much says it all. "Not scary, not entertaining, felt like watching kids, that you couldn't care less of, on a camping trip scaring each other." Couldn't have said it better myself dude, but, I can try and put it in my own words. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/wink.gif Watching this movie is a waste of 90 minutes! This movie is not a horror flick. It's not scary, it's just annoying with the camera movement that only made me dizzy. When The Blair Witch Project was in theaters I resisted the hype and did not see it. I saw it "free" on a movie channel the first time I watched it and I spent the 90 minutes watching, hoping for something thrilling. Nothing ever came.

Heather, Mike and Josh, actors, play "Heather", "Mike", and "Josh", characters. They are students doing a project and get lost in the woods, camping there several nights. There is absolutely zero character development, zero inventiveness in dialog, and zero believability in their plight. The first 85 minutes you follow them through the woods, listening to their 'teenage' dialog with the "F-word" used 2 or 3 times each sentence. When they meet their fate, you don't care one bit about them. At least I didn't.

Still, I give it a generous "3" of "10" for the novelty of the idea. However, as movies go, this one is simply a good "school project" quality. It in no way deserves to be in the same category as any of the above-average films made these days.

All the favorable comments over at IMDb come from teenagers. Yes, I'm still a teenager, by only 2 years, but, I consider myself a mature one (thank you very much http://www.joblo.com/ubb/wink.gif). Perhaps one of ten mature adults would find this film at all worth watching. I certainly did not. But I'm glad I satisfied my curiosity. How can we recognize truly meaningless films unless we see some occasionally??

[This message has been edited by The Flickster (edited 11-15-2001).]

11-14-2001, 11:43 PM
The Blair Witch Project is much maligned but still stands in my top five horror/thriller movies of the nineties. You all know the hype, three college students are sent into the woods to make a documentary on the Burkittsville, Maryland Blair Witch legend. Much like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre it relies on a simple but very believable plot that puts you into the situation. I can relate with the characters and their actions. Also relying on old-fashioned what-you-donít-see over what you do see tactics. As the fear of the unknown surrounding the three leads Heather, Josh, and Mike intensifies, insanity and doubtfulness set in. This all leads to a un-Hollywood climax as they discover what they were looking for. The actors were amazingly accurate as they were put out into the woods and improvised their scenes as camera crews shot from all around them. I guess I am one of the 10 adults to enjoy the film http://www.joblo.com/ubb/smile.gif

11-14-2001, 11:53 PM
I hate this movie! It's so tedious and annoying! I got sick and tired of seeing all that videotaped footage! Okay the ending was a bit creepy but that's about it!

11-15-2001, 12:36 AM
The Blair Witch Project - 8.5/10

Cy is right..the ending is VERY creepy. I think the film has a very original concept and idea to it(Although I've heard there's a film quite like it from 95 or 94 from another forum, not quite sure about this though). Plus the part where one of the characters in the film says, "I kicked the map in the f*cking river" is just unbelievably hilarious. I haven't made an updated top 10 of 99 lately, but I'm sure this has a great shot at making the list.

[This message has been edited by dr-movielove (edited 11-15-2001).]

11-15-2001, 07:51 PM
The Blairwitch Project 9/10

There was another film,almost similar to this called "The Last Brodcast". Which is where they got the idea for "The Blairwitch Project". This movie is Scary as hell . Think about it,3 kids stuck in the woods,and at night they hear noises that get closer and closer. Wouldn't you be scared out of your mind? Near the end of the film is what got to me..

Right when Heather and Mike are walking through the house,your heart is racing,and your eyes don't leave the screen. Heather's screaming,and running all over the house. Mike goes down in the basement,and something hit him as his camera falls to the ground. This is the scary part...Heather goes down to the basement,finds Mike standing in the cornor,then her camera fly's to the ground. End of movie. How freaky is that??? It scared the hell out of me.

11-15-2001, 08:50 PM
I was suckered and hoodwinked by my own naivete.I was totally unaware of the bogus hype,being immersed in my novel.When I noticed thru commercial on TV,I felt compelled to rush out and see.I actually thought this was a non-fiction and true student film project that went amuck.Until I checked their web site and conversed among other's after viewing.Very good example of how marketing and hucksterism can fill them seats,and keep them a coming.To a point.And,to a flaw.This movie,with its shoestring budget and dastardly connived storyline,is mere exploitation.Likened to the early Roadshow shockers of yesteryear that were mere exploitation of sex and taboo.Nothing really horrific about this movie other than its ending.A very tiring example of how this generation can carny bark,within a flick and sustain enough plausability to watch till ending.Once the audience is fully aware of true nature of our spooked cast,and its bogus entirety,the thrill and excitement of the chase are lost.And lost for good.I don't believe many are going to come back for second helping,unless someone else cough's up expense of ticket or rental fee.It's that mundane a task for repeat viewing.Once seen the thrill is gone.Extremely poor example of what constitutes a winner.Flash in the pan is not what moviemaking should be about. 2/10 for New Age Huckster project,on file.And on celluloid. Dig Daddio

11-15-2001, 11:53 PM
The Blair Witch Project

I still really donít know what to think about this film. Iíve watched it about 3 times, and I liked it all the times I viewed it, but somehow this film continuously leaves me muddled. I donít know whether to think this movie is a bunch of baloney about people running around with cameras or whether itís a true scare-fest with excellent ideas and a great premise. I think Iíd go with the second one, but there were elements of the first that put the movie down a little for me.

The premise and whole filming idea for The Blair Witch Project was excellent. It added more to the atmosphere and it proved that what we canít see is much scarier. You donít get much blood, guts and gore, but what you do get is a really creepy setting, tonnes of scary rocks and some fantastic acting to make the scenarios real.

On the subject of acting, I am very shocked that Heather Donahue got a Razzie for this film. I thought she was really great in the movie. Donahue is the leader of the cast and takes the material seriously, and she is her character Ė sheís very frightened and believable in her role. Michael and Joshua are also very good, but Donahue is the movieís heart and soul, and she is exceptionally right into her character. I mean, she doesnít deserve an Oscar or anything, but a Razzie? No way!

I also liked the idea of the movie how they used the actors real names. Somehow it made it a little more believable and I think the actors got into the characters a little bit more because they could base it on themselves. This film does have a lot of great idea and premises, such as one Iíve just mentioned, but some scenes are unnecessary and you might get a little tired of the constant swearing and screaming, instead of getting in touch with the more scary side of the film.

None-the-less, I still enjoyed the movie. I donít think many people realise how sometimes this movie brings across some warmth and quite a bit of character development, like in one scene the group talk about what they like to do on a Sunday morning (ďgo for a walk in the woods,Ē says Donahue, following it up with ďnot anymore!Ē) and what theyíd love to eat at the current time of their loss in the woods. The movie also has a reasonably funny map scene.

But, in the end, The Blair Witch Project is all about terror and scaring the audience, and they succeed in this. Just so you know, this is not another slasher teen movie like I Know What You Did Last Summer or Scream. This is raw, real, terror and youíll be clutching your pillow with fright. The final scene in particular is one of the most frightening sequences Iíve ever seen on film. All in all, this is a very original piece that will be remembered for a long time after viewing, and I recommend it to those who like something new in horror films.

[This message has been edited by urbanlegend23 (edited 03-08-2002).]

JohnLock Holmes
11-19-2001, 09:24 AM
The worst part of this movie is that they were trying to fool us into the idea that this could be an actual documentary, but they gratuitously mention things to fill up the holes in the plot like "we've got enough battery power to fuel a small country" to explain why their batteries can run lights, cameras and whatever for over a week when normally batteries don't last more than a few hours-- maybe if they had some CAR batteries they could do it, but not Energizers! Likewise, they say "I wanna get this all on film" to explain why they're running cameras when they should be running for their lives.
The film also makes no logical sense.
First of all, we're told "this film was found," but nothing regarding who found it, whether there was a police investigation etc; we're just shown the film edited from beginning to end.
Finally, we're never shown ANY explanation of what happens; just a bunch of weird stuff occuring with no explanation whatsoever; there's slime all over a backpack (did a bear blow his nose?), someone missing and weird tokens show up, weird artifacts and noises, then a bunch of blurred scenes in the end where they go running into a strange house to rescue the missing guy and then the film ends-- just a bunch of questions with no answers. The final scene shows the one guy, "Mike," standing in the corner like the initial interview said the pedocidal hermit used to make his victims do while he killed the others; but why "Heather" find him, a a GROWN MAN, doing that suddenly for no reason?

Furthermore, the idea of getting "lost in the woods" for 8 days doesn't make a whole lot of sense either even for the most naive students; why would 3 people run off into the woods with NO experience or training in outdoor survival and navigation without at least telling someone where they were going?
I can't imagine getting lost in the woods with a map and compass for 8 days without finding my way out (even if the compass was messed up, I'd figure after a few days when the sun started rising in the north or it started pointing to a local area), or least a search party with dogs coming out after them and tracking them down (they left their car parked on the road, any decent ranger or dog could find them from that) -- but again, we don't hear anything about a police report or investigation, we're just mysteriously presented with an edited version of some film somehow "found" a year later with no trace of the students (apparently whatever got the students, didn't care about the film, and likewise the film stayed good undeveloped for over a year).
A REAL horror movie is supposed to SHOW you in the end what the horror is, not just throw out a bunch of clues with no resolution and then leave you wondering and say "OOOH kiddies, wasn't that a SCARY film?" like SCTV's "Count Floyd."
The only saving grace for this movie would be if Bob Saget had this on "America's Funniest Home Videos" and he did his stupid comments and sound effects over it-- or maybe some explanation. (Maybe they're leaving that for the sequel?)

01-29-2002, 11:11 PM
I'm sorry but this is one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen. I can't believe everyone actually thought this story was real! Although this is better then the second blair witch project, because it actually has a plot! This movie just bites! I give it a 2/10

02-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Did not like this movie. It was so annoying and it pissed me off when they were running and the camera was so shakey. The actors were good and realistic with their roles but it still sucked. The directing, well there was no real direction, it looked like it was done by 10 year olds. I have to admit though, some parts were kind of scary and gave me the chills but the overall crapeness of the movie ruined it.

[This message has been edited by brandon918 (edited 02-19-2002).]

02-22-2002, 06:04 AM
If you wanna wait for Scream 4 or I Know What You Did A Couple Of Summers Ago, wait for these and don't watch this flick. The Blair Witch Project is original, new, trendsetting and SCARY AS HELL. It created something totally new in the horrorworld, that's what makes it a classic and a must see for every horrorfan. This movie has no special effects, no scary witch with a butcher knife, no glitter... but it has all the suspense in the world and that's enough. Wanna watch a new, refreshing, original, effective and really scary movie? Rent the Blair Witch Project.

08-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Blair Witch Project 8/10

When I first heard of this movie I said to myself "I'll wait for an evening when I'm bored out of my skull and awake at one o'clock in the morning and watch this as a joke." Well the joke was on me. I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!

Here's the funny part. I watched it thinking it was real. So there I was around 2:00 am confused as can be and entangled in this incredibly strange movie. Towards the ending when they were walking towards the house I was literally on the edge of my seat. (Remember I was freaked out thinking it was real.) The movie ended on an unexpecting note and I stared at the screen thinking "Whaaaaaaaat?"

I'm basing this movie from the perspective that I watched it thinking it was real.

Thumbs way up!

08-08-2002, 09:52 PM
The Blair witch project is a stupid boring movie and gave me a headed ache from all the jerky movements with the camera. The whole plot revolves around these three college students filming a project in the woods where sightings of the blair witch have been reported.
This movie is just annoying. SPOILER-and why the hell did mike throw away the map?

[This message has been edited by rockerbaby604 (edited 08-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by rockerbaby604 (edited 08-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by rockerbaby604 (edited 08-19-2002).]

08-12-2002, 08:02 PM
I liked this film. I goes to show that You don't really need to see tons of blood or have millions of dollars worth of CGI effects in a film to make it frightening. The film had me on pins and needles the whole way through. I think that if word hadn't got out that it was all fake, everyone who saw it would have been terrified. I already don't like the woods. This film gave me all the more reason not to go there...EVER. A chilling film.

12-08-2002, 02:04 PM
taken directly from my website at moviereviews.cjb.net

When my brother was coming home from visiting relatives on an airplane, he overheard a college student who saw this movie. She said that afterwards, they were so scared nobody wanted to go out for gas. Well, the movie wasn't that scary.

Something that I liked is that they didn't need Conrad Baker or anyone to do the camera work, the three principal actors (Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, Michael Williams) did almost all of it themselves. Heather, Josh, and Michael (the actors's names are the same in the movie) team up for a documentary about a "blair witch", who supposadely haunts the woods in Burkettsville, Maryland. After intervewing townspeople, they get off to the woods.

It seems that what TBWP is more about is the three amateur directors and their relationships towards each other. They have "cabin fever", so to speak, from being around each other for so long. But, they do find mysterious things outside of their tent after each morning- piles of rocks, for instance. They hear things that go bump in the night and try chase whatever's making the noise.

Soon, the map is lost, in an obvious turn of events. They walk for 15 hours to end up in the same location. There was fear all throughout the movie; mild amount during the day (especially when they see the famous symbols), and moderate during the night. I was truly creeped at the end. I did see this before, on FX, and I was scared at the end. Although the ending is obvious, I do like that style of ending.

If you're looking for a horor film where bloody ghosts pop out and cut your head off, take another one. Nothing is seen here; a couple times, the screen is completly blank except for a couple camera lines at the bottom. The editing was very poor, but I guess they're excuse for that is because it's a "home movie". The actors were OK, but I understand why they haven't done anything else. So, if you want to be creeped out for most of the time, rent The Blair Witch Project.

01-21-2003, 04:12 PM
somebody's been watching evil dead...

...not that this is remotely gory, obscene (though some preview audiences vomited due to seasickness!) or likely to start any cults. But it IS cheap, modestly made (camcorder) and ends on a dark note, much in keeping with said Sam Raimi classic. This is a rare (even the sequel was mainstream teen-horror-by-numbers nonsense) diversion from Hollywood stupidity. Things are a hell of a lot scarier when you can't see whatever the hell is after these three people, and that's one of the all time great ideas of horror cinema: Implication. Hitchcock never showed Janet Leigh get stabbed in the shower - we just saw her and the knife and filled in the the blanks ourselves. Robert Wise never showed any ghosts in the Haunting, we just really, really got the hint. These guys have been going to the Old School of horror cinema, and come up trumps.

It's not spine-chilling stuff at the best of times - you'll likely have seen scarier, but not with any of the mid-20's cast shit Hollywood has been spitting out recently - but it's unsettling. Funny noises, an unending line of closeups, and the camcorder really sticking you into what's going on. Doesn't take long to get over the nasty look. It's all over swiftly, and assuming you watch it at night when some creaky doors and banging windows, you might just shiver a bit. This is more than can be said for any teen horror - boy, somebody tell those people than teenagers with knives aren't gonna terrify everyone... 8/10

01-28-2003, 05:42 PM
It's embarassing to see my old posts, but I will write a review of this film sometime in the future, but my opinion towards this pile of crap is well known on the boards, I'll find a time to vent out my hatred when I'm in the mood to.

And, yes, the film does receive a NO STAR rating from me.

01-29-2003, 11:54 AM
"Bub" the ZOMBIE is intelligent enough to know this movie REEKS... :p

01-29-2003, 03:35 PM
the hype around this film was a turn off for me and i orginally resolved not to go see it. but when some friends of mine came back saying it was the scariest thing they had ever seen, i decided to stash my pride, get a spare pair of trousers just in case i filled me pants, and went off to see it.

god i was dissapointed. actually bored, annoyed, and significantly poorer. this film did nothing for me. for one thing the way the camera shook the whole the time made me want to vomit. it was actually making me feel almost sea sick, horrible horrible. the characters didnt interest me, and i didnt feel a damn thing towards them. i was looking forward to seeing them die :) but even that didnt impress me. i dunno, it just didnt move me. i didnt care for the characters, i felt sick (for all the wrong reasons) and i could quite happily have fallen asleep in the cinema. in fact, truth be told, i did go to the land of nod for 5 mins, and came back to find the same bunch of screaming.

and as for the supposed shocking ending. i wasnt shocked.

in short, if u want a good suspensful horror film.

dont watch this,

total and utter rubbish, with little or nothing to redeem it. 1/10 (and i feel i am being generous)

can i have my money back?

02-06-2003, 04:30 AM

i liked this movie. i was on the edge of my seat, i was scared for everyone, and i have to admit that i was one of the people that (at the beginning) thought it was a true story. i liked the characters, the realness and the ending was creepy. this is the movie that my friends and i talked about the whole ride home and continued to talk about it when we arrived. its not the best movie ever made, but i liked it.

09-15-2003, 08:28 PM
How people can respond so inteligently towards this movie (it sucks dick, fuck this movie) is beyond me. I disagree with Joblo saying this movie was a waste of time. What the mainstream current "horror" industry wants us to belive now is that horror movies are horny teens, who show no T&A, have NO personality, and get killed using only fake CGI gore. Blair Witch breaks all this boundaries, breaks new ground, and reminded me about what i love in horror movies so much. The fact that you think about them after they are over. So many things about this movie (especially the last 5 minutes) made me really think. Now if the new definition of Scary is Fear.Com, Jeepers Creepers 2, and Halloween:Reserection, I stand corrected. But give this movie a chance before shunning it because it dosn't have to type of horror crap we are having thrown at us dosens of times a year.

09-23-2004, 05:10 AM
The plot of this movie was intriguing and I watched it in the dark last night as a friend of mine recommended me doing. What did I think? Watchable but hardly scary.

The film is pretty slow and I found myself falling asleep at times when I should be being intrigued. It kinda annoyed me a little and It's just that they did a lot of talking. And there was a overload of Screaming and swearing. I was thinking 'You guys are crapping your pants scared, I get it!'. Also the film didn't get to the frightening parts quick enough. Ok it was to keep the suspense, but if they were going to build up to the scary scenes, at least make the scenes in between interesting. It was kind of creepy when there were all the stick figures hanging on the trees, and the end scene, but nothing that made me jump out of me seat.

The performances are all good, especially of the heather girl. Believeable.

It's disappointing but a okay watch. You're either going to hate it or love it.

09-23-2004, 07:08 PM
I love this movie! I thought it was totally original, and scary.

10-18-2004, 04:15 PM
I rooted for the bad guy. The three kids were fucking idiots and annoying as hell. When the movie was over, I clapped for it being over, not being good. I hated it. Possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

10-19-2004, 06:21 PM
this is one of only 2 films to ever scare the shit out of me, the acting is very good, each of the actors playing their parts very well, i keep hearing about how people hate the shaky cameras but i dont see what the problem with it is, i thought it was very effective