PDA

View Full Version : HALLOWEEN H20 (Spoilers)

Scully1888
07-02-2002, 06:17 AM
Okay, I just realised that there isn't a Halloween H20 topic in the Past Horror Movies board, so seeing as I just watched it again last night (and it's therefore fresh in my mind again), I've got a few thoughts on it.

(NOTE: I've just finished a Halloween 1-7 marathon, so I'm a bit tired... please bear with my ramblings)

HALLOWEEN H20 - 20 YEARS LATER

It is my opinion that Halloween H20 is not as bad as some schmoes may suggest. While certainly not the best in the series (it is surpassed by 1, 2 and possibly even 3, if it counts), it is still an excellent movie and does not, in my opinion, ruin the series too much.
Chris Durand (as Michael Myers) somehow manages to go between an excellent Michael Myers and a piss-poor Michael Myers. I don't quite understand how he manages this, but it seems in some scenes you forget it's another guy and you think "that's Michael Myers", whereas in other scenes you think "nah, he's not done that movement right... Myers wouldn't do that".
Although this is the "MTV Halloween", I still felt it catered well to the hardcore horror fan. The use of Mr Sandman as an opening track may not have been noticed by non-horror fans (who will probably have only seen Halloween 1 and therefore missed Halloween 2, where it was the opening and closing track), yet Halloween fans will "get" it and should find it quite clever. Ditto with the scene where Laurie turns on her car radio.
I liked John Ottman's reworking of John Carpenter's Halloween theme - unlike the simple use of different instruments to re-do it in H2 and H4-6, this addition of an orchestral background and all that crap makes it sound excellent.
More scenes I laughed at, thinking they were quite clever and appealing to the Halloween fan:
- Janet Leigh talking to Laurie before leaving in her car, saying "everyone is entitled to one good scare", much like the Sheriff said in Halloween 1.
- Janet then entering her car (which looks remarkably like the car in Psycho), and the Psycho soundtrack then playing.
- Scream 2 being shown on TV in the girls' room, as an answer to Halloween being shown on a TV in Scream.
- Laurie teaching about fate and Molly looking out the window and seeing Myers, reminiscent of such a scene in Halloween 1.
- Laurie saying "go down the street to the Beckers'" (I think it was the Beckers', I can't remember), similar to "go down the street to the McKenzies'" from Halloween 1.

All in all, I thought this was quite a good movie, and if the start of Halloween 8 is what I still think it is...

SPOILERS FOR H8 START

...that Myers attacked some paramedic guy and crushed his voicebox so that from the scene where Myers crashes through the table onwards, it isn't really Myers...

SPOILERS FOR H8 END

...then after watching the end of H20 again I have to say, it would work perfectly.

Halloween H20 - 4/5 (B+)

Now I KNOW people are going to argue with me here, so bring it on!

[This message has been edited by Scully1888 (edited 07-02-2002).]

Scully1888
07-02-2002, 06:29 AM
Oh shit, I've just had another wee look at the post over in General Horror Talk called "OLD SCHOOL HALLOWEEN ENDED WITH PART 6", and it seems I may be in the minority with regards to my opinions.

[This message has been edited by Scully1888 (edited 07-02-2002).]

Fettdog
07-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Scully, it never clicked until I just read your post, but when JLC says "go down the street to the Beckers", it's another nod to scream, as Drew Barrymore's character was called Casey Becker.

Also, if I remember rightly, Janet Leigh's character in H20 is called Norma, which is what Norman Bates's mother was called.

I just watched H20 again the other night, and I think the first 20 minutes are as good as any in the Halloween series. Once it gets to the school, however, it loses a little of its momentum, but it still does it for me.

(On a related topic, I just finally saw H6 Producers Cut, and it is soooooo much better than the official release.)

Boogeyman
07-02-2002, 06:43 PM
I LOVED HALLOWEEN H20! I think it is the second best in the series( behind the original) Im a TOTAL halloween freak and ive seen them all many many times and i think that H20 is one of the best done. It gave the Halloween series the jumpstart it needed! Many people say that it has a "teen" look to it but it doesnt bother me TOO much. Thats for one reason...JAMIE LEE IS BACK!
(and i totally agree about Chris Durand, one moment he suxs but the next he GREAT!)

later

Candyman666
07-02-2002, 07:17 PM
H2O was decent as a stand alone movie, but I think compared to the rest of the series (forget about the crapfest that was 3), it doesn't live up. And I've heard H2O makes more sense if you see the Producer's Cut of 6.

Elgyn
07-02-2002, 08:18 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scully1888:

- Janet then entering her car (which looks remarkably like the car in Psycho), and the Psycho soundtrack then playing.
</font>

Dude, not only that but the license-plate number on the car is the same too!

[This message has been edited by Elgyn (edited 07-02-2002).]

Creeper666
07-02-2002, 11:32 PM
Ok, I'm tired of hearin about that damn director's cut of Halloween 6!! LoL Where the hell did you guys get that cuz I sure as hell wanna get a copy, so sumone please inform me cuz I'm dyin ova here!!!

Jason
07-03-2002, 03:19 PM
H20 reaks of Kevin Williamson but hey, that's ok. Mikey needed a change in scenery and the creative juices starting flowing.

This is my the favorite in the series

Jason
07-03-2002, 03:21 PM
this is my 4th favorite in the series