PDA

View Full Version : WHO SURVIVED THE BRAT PACK?

Lady Summerisle
02-06-2003, 05:39 PM
A long time ago, in a far away galaxy known as the Me Decade and The Hughes Milky Way, lived a couple of rogue, young Jedi Knights known as the Brat Pack.

The decade ended and these warriors were called upon to live in the post modern world where their Brat-ian ways no longer constituted pop culture of the North American way.

So Grand Moff John Hughes sent these young folks out with a mission to keep their tentative status as dreamboats and hotties:

Molly Ringwald
Young Molly ventured into straight to video hell, the river of Styx known as cancelled TV series, and a little movie called FRESH HORSES, wherein Maiden Molly attempted to beat her rep as a squeaky clean teen. She did not win the love of Wesley and defeat Prince Humperdick's hold on her and did an ungratifying cameo in NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE.

Rob Lowe
Being the best looking of the bunch, Rob proceeded to prove this to anyone who though statutory rape only belonged to Micahel Jackson. Ahhh, then did some bizarre films that only John Irving fans like, and hit the straight to vid scene also as an action hero! Come late 90's Aaron Sorkin makes what would redeem Rob: WEST WING. Rob is crowned half ruler of the Brat Pack world (someone else gets to share it).

Andrew McCarthy
I'm shaking my head at you, Andrew.
You are the court jester of Zenda, my friend, just for doing that stupid STV movie with Patsy Kensit.

Anthony Michael Hall
What can I say about the designated geek of the Pack? Oh, yes. I was about to begin. The Mua' Dib of the 80's lovlies, Anthony proved a comic foil, asked for Molly's undies, and made a movie I like to call Bill Paxton's finest hour in the 80's. Surely there was a niche for him in the 90's? NO siree. Tim Burton cast him as Wynona's lunkhead boyfriend in ED SCISSORHANDS, thus beginning Hall's spiral into possible obscurity. Hail Caesar, you say, Johnny Be Good?
Hall tapped into his inner Bene Gesserit, and embraced the serious side. Also he tapped into the buffet at Baron Harkonnen's House of Pancakes. Not that he didn't benefit.
Hall now has seriously good STV roles behind him (EXIT IN RED, THE GRAVE, HITCHED) and managed to look funny in ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS. His stake to the crown: His beautifully haunting role on THE DEAD ZONE.
Take your half of the throne, Qwaseitch Haderach. (Feel free to correct me, BTW)

Emilio Estevez
I really liked Maximum Overdrive. I cannot say a lot about Emilio, as he made many missteps, and hasn't redeemed himself like brother Charlie. Marrying Paula Abdul doesn't guarantee you position of Duke!
Ally Sheedy
The Lady of Indie cinema. Perpetually the send choice love interest in many of these Brat Pak films, she succeeded in abdicating from stereotype and parlayed her unusual chram into projects like SUGAR TOWN and HIGH ART.

Judd Nelson
Why Suddenly Snoozin'? Why CABIN BY THE LAKE? Why? Do you want to inflict your inner struggle with some Great Old One, in Ryleh' where Nylarthothep controls your career. You were Bender.
I banish you to Gash, where the Cenobites will tear your soul apart.

Robert Downey Jr.
He kicks ass and was in TUff TURF. Screw the drug thing. He is the Duke.

Did I miss any members of the family? Please tell if so.

Annie Hall
02-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Lady Summerisle

Rob Lowe
Being the best looking of the bunch, Rob proceeded to prove this to anyone who though statutory rape only belonged to Micahel Jackson. Ahhh, then did some bizarre films that only John Irving fans like, and hit the straight to vid scene also as an action hero! Come late 90's Aaron Sorkin makes what would redeem Rob: WEST WING. Rob is crowned half ruler of the Brat Pack world (someone else gets to share it).

I'd just like to say as a John Irving fan, I resent that! :D

BadCoverVersion
02-06-2003, 06:21 PM
GREAT TOPIC Summerisle!!!!

Jesus, POOR bloody McCarthy, every school-girls dream. What the fuckity fuck went wrong!!!

Two glaring omissions...Ally Sheedy and Demi Moore, Demi has quite the successful career at the moment (and Christ she looks FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC), as for Ally...well, it's yet ANOTHER case of "Where are they now?"

I'll post MORE on this subject tomorrow, it is now 12:20am and I'm knackered...but SUPERB topic darlin'...;)

Grebdron
02-06-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
...Ally Sheedy

Ummm...look right under Emilio, sleepyhead. Ally's there.

BadCoverVersion
02-06-2003, 06:38 PM
I bloody told you it was getting late...Oh how you mock me so....

eraserhead_99
02-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Andrew McCarthy
I'm shaking my head at you, Andrew.
You are the court jester of Zenda, my friend, just for doing that stupid STV movie with Patsy Kensit.

I actually just saw andrew McCarthy in a play that my uncle was in, good good stuff.

Scarface98.9
02-06-2003, 07:46 PM
A Emilio Estevez
I really liked Maximum Overdrive. I cannot say a lot about Emilio, as he made many missteps, and hasn't redeemed himself like brother Charlie. Marrying Paula Abdul doesn't guarantee you position of Duke!

He may not have broke out of the mold, but he did find success (somewhat) with the Mighty Duck franchise. Now what happened to the Duck players is uncertain

Lady Summerisle
02-06-2003, 07:51 PM
I'd just like to say as a John Irving fan, I resent that!

Sweetie,

I loved HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE, and consider myself a fan, but how many people can actually grasp a John Irving film or book.
"Keep passing the open windows" is one of my fave quotes.

I am very glad to hear Andrew McCarthy doing stage work, as his acting style never seemed suited to screen.

Thank you, BCV!

Annie Hall
02-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Sweetie,

I loved HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE, and consider myself a fan, but how many people can actually grasp a John Irving film or book.
"Keep passing the open windows" is one of my fave quotes.

Cupcake--

I was joking about resenting the comment which I thought the ":D" conveyed...perhaps not. I was merely making a joke about the quality of Hotel New Hampshire.

I love John Irving....and although I will not pretend to be an authority on the complexities of his novels, we're not talking James Joyce here. I actually thought Hotel New Hampshire was a pretty dreadful movie (as well as a mediocre book), but, nevertheless...Irving's a great writer.

Romero&Juliet
02-06-2003, 08:56 PM
I miss Anthony Michael Hall... He was the Cutest.. Thankfully he's doing something nowadays.. even if it IS supposed to be shit..

The Hotel New Hampshire was a movie??!?!?

coool~!

The Claw
02-06-2003, 08:58 PM
ROMERO LOVES Anthony Michael Hall!!!

;)

i love all of those crazy brat packers.

what about hughes himself. he used to make so manygood movies then he just fell into a pit of crap. My how the mighty have fallen.

bah.

Lady Summerisle
02-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Romero,

THE DEAD ZONE is very high quality, and allows Hall to act!
He is the perfect Johnny Smith. You should watch it sometime.

Yes, he was the cutest, but now that he's grown up he can't rely on his geekiness. Which is good because he could put his cane under my bed anyday.

I have a question:
What happened to Judd Nelson? I mean, he's one of the best BREAKFAST CLUB actors, then he goes downhill faster than Marlon Brando chasing the McBurglar down a slope.

freakandgeek
02-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Molly Ringwald: man she has disappeared. how annoying is that. the last real movie (besides not another teen movie) she was in was the stand, and i just loved that movie.

Rob Lowe: i think he'll be around for a long time. i don't watch west wing, but its really popular. he's a cutie.

Andrew McCarthy: aw, i miss him! what has he been in lately?

Anthony Michael Hall: in my opinion, he was just the coolest of them all. and he is continuing to be the coolest brat pack.

Emilio Estevez: i liked him in judgement night, but i think he's kinda cheesy. not really as cool anymore. and yeah, maximum overdrive was the shit!

Ally Sheedy: where the hell is this girl?

Judd Nelson: what the hell is this guy doing? suddenly susan is a lame show. he was the shit. WHAT WAS/IS HE THINKING?

Robert Downey Jr.: probably the most famous now of them all. he'll always be the center of attention. ha ha

well, i think other members of the brat pack were demi moore, john cusack, tom cruise, ralph macchio, matt dillon and i think all of them, besides macchio, is doing better then the rest

SIREN30
02-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Actually, I think the Brat Pack was limited to the actors/actresses Lady Summerisle has already mentioned (plus Demi Moore). The bratpack movies, per-say, were the John Huges movies of the 80's as well as St Elmos Fire. I don't believe the OUtsider's cast was considered 'brat pack'.;)

Lady Summerisle
02-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Actually, I think the Brat Pack was limited to the actors/actresses Lady Summerisle has already mentioned (plus Demi Moore). The bratpack movies, per-say, were the John Huges movies of the 80's as well as St Elmos Fire. I don't believe the OUtsider's cast was considered 'brat pack'.

SIREN,

The Brat Pack was indeed a very exclusive club in the 1980's. I mean, you had your members.

You had the quasi-Brat Pack:
DEMI MOORE
THE COREY'S
CHARLIE SHEEN (He was in Lucas, after all)
JASON PATRIC
KIEFER SUTHERLAND
TOM CRUISE
RALPH MACCHIO
CHRISTIAN SLATER (Legend of Billie Jean, much buddy)
KEANU REEVES
ALEX WINTER
JAMES SPADER (My favourite yuppie/evil smirker man with immovable hair)

And then you had your no-chance-in-Hell tag alongs:
BALTHAZAR GETTY
DAPHNE ZUNIGA
JOHN STOCKWELL (v. GOOD director BTW)
KEITH GORDON (Ditto for this guy, too!)
JON CRYER
MICHAEL SCHOEFFLING

Now, John Cusack managed to avoid this category altogether. A good move too. He was the Dark Prince of the 80's.

Romero&Juliet
02-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Romero,

THE DEAD ZONE is very high quality, and allows Hall to act!
He is the perfect Johnny Smith. You should watch it sometime.

Wow, I've heard NOTHING good about it, Summerisle...! I'll be checking it out as soon as I can.

Voodoodoll
02-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Judd Nelson is the sheriff in Jay and Silent Bob Strike back - funny role :)

I'll always have a special place in my heart for all of the Breakfast Club :o

Grebdron
02-10-2003, 01:33 PM
KEANU REEVES

????????????????????????

Lady Summerisle
02-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Grebdron,

Keanu Reeves COULD have made the Brat Pack! But he's only quasi since he didn't have any talent. Whe he did, it was in stuff like RIVER'S EDGE and BILL AND TED EA, and BJ.

Grebdron
02-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Wow. I didn't even realize he had been clogging up the screen for that long. Glad I missed most of his "filmography".

They never would have let him in the Brat Pack. Too stupid.

batfreak
02-11-2003, 12:06 AM
I would have to say that Kiefer Sutherland has had the greatest comeback out of everyone listed here.

Lady Summerisle
02-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Kiefer Sutherland did have a great comeback, but he was never really dead, movie-wise.
He isn't one of the key members of the Brat Pack, though, although he was in YOUNG GUNS 1 and 2 with various members of the BP.

Remember Kiefer did a lovely job in FREEWAY, a segue between his teen adult years.

I tend to think that James Spader had a great career as far as acting went.
Being typecast as the Yuppie in PRETTY IN PINK, LESS THAN ZERO, and WHITE PALACE didn't hurt him very much. And those movies were great. Spader did TUFF TURF, WOLF, SEX, LIES, AND VIDEOTAPE, CRASH, DREAM LOVER, JACK'S BACK, all decent films.

Spader was always on the cusp of the BP.

HilfigerB2
02-14-2003, 02:23 AM
Molly Ringwald was also in Teaching Miss Tingle, she was the secretary at the school.