PDA

View Full Version : Movies that use the exact same music score

Razorblade Smile
02-07-2003, 08:25 AM
The other day I'm watching Broken Arrow. And right towards the end when we get the showdown between Christian Slater and John Travolta, I heard a very familiar sounding piece of music. So I cranked up the volume and lo and behold....Yup! It was the Gale/Dewey theme from the Scream movies.

Have you noticed any other movies that use the exact same music score?

The Postmaster General
02-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Too many time is that Carmine B. classical song used.

NuclearMisfit
02-09-2003, 09:24 AM
I havent noticed it alot in the movies but I know for a fact most movies that involve action theyll play that click click boom song by Saliva too much.

Caranmetiel
02-09-2003, 09:56 AM
"robin hood: prince of thieves" and "the three musketeers" sound very similar, even taking into consideration that michael kamen composed the scores for both. obviously films that have the same composer working on them will have the distinctive sound or style of that composer, but to me, these movies' scores sound very much alike in spite of that..

neilg78
02-09-2003, 10:04 AM
I noticed that the main forrest gump theme is a piece of incidental music in Back to the future 3 - both Zemeckis films

cky_landspeed
02-09-2003, 10:36 AM
The trailer for Two Towers uses the same theme as in Requiem For A Dream, the summer overature i think it's called.

Horror whore
02-09-2003, 10:37 AM
The scores for HOOK and HARRY POTTER are very similar in some spots, both scores were done by John Williams too...

QUENTIN
02-09-2003, 10:37 AM
True Romance's theme is the same as Badlands, one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite movies. The already mentioned "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana is often used, but it's not a piece of original score, same goes with Beethoven's "Ode to Joy", and since Requiem For A Dream, Mozart's "Lux Aeterna". For "original" scores re-used though, I can't be the only one who thinks the difference between Pay It Forward's theme and American Beauty's is but a single note.

The Other
02-09-2003, 10:40 AM
A lot of films use some of the music from AMERICAN BEAUTY. Who wouldn't, it's beautiful. But I mean, shit, I've even heard it in an M&M commercial once.

Michael_myers
02-09-2003, 12:14 PM
another thing that bothered me about Friday the 13th, they almost ripped off their entire score from Psycho. They sound exactly the same. The continuous low note, the theme, the violins screeching. God. Which then lowers my Friday the 13th mark further, to a six instead of initial seven.

Beeblebrox
02-09-2003, 01:06 PM
I noticed that the beginning of Attack of the Clones uses the exact same score as the beginning of Star Wars. What's up with that?

SAI
02-09-2003, 02:07 PM
The Broken Arrow score was recycled in Scream 2, not the other way round, listen to Wes Cravens Scream 2 commentary.

Yes the theme of True Romance is the same as that of Badlands but it doesn't really annoy me, simply because the two films are thematically very close and the music is such a beautiful fit for both of them.

One that did get on my nerves was the recycling by Richard Band of Bernard Hermann's Psycho score in Re-Animator

jackcool
02-09-2003, 03:03 PM
There was one part in Red Heat (the part near the end at the motel, I think) where the music is the exact same one from the Killer

Irene Manor
02-09-2003, 03:26 PM
It's not score music, but how many times they gonna use that Smashmouth song:

Hey now, your a rock star....

Timiny
02-09-2003, 03:28 PM
I believe they used a song from Dark City in the first X-men's trailer...

Dignan
02-09-2003, 04:13 PM
The Masters of the Universe(Dolph Lundgron) theme sounds VERY similar to Star Wars and Superman themes.

Annie Hall
02-09-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by QUENTIN
For "original" scores re-used though, I can't be the only one who thinks the difference between Pay It Forward's theme and American Beauty's is but a single note.

You're not. I think that's a pretty cheap shot, considering they are both Spacey movies that came out within a year of one another.

Scully1888
02-10-2003, 06:16 AM
I find the problem to be a lot more common in trailers.

For example, the music at the start of the Jeepers Creepers trailer is the same as that in a Scream trailer (possibly Scream 2 or 3).

The Castaway trailer features the music from Braveheart.

As cky_landspeed already said, one of the Two Towers trailers uses a version of the excellent Requiem For A Dream theme by Clint Mansell.

And I don't know how many times I've heard that fucking Alien Resurrection trailer theme.

Razorblade Smile
02-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Just found another one. The music playing in the preview trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean is the exact same music as the intro theme for Bram Stoker's Dracula.

QUENTIN
02-10-2003, 04:39 PM
Well with trailers it's different ladies and gents. Often when a trailer is made the score for the film is not done yet, so they use a piece of score from another film, usually by the same studio. Also occasionally a studio will use particular music because they want to associate one film with another, this is why music from Braveheart and The American President has been used in 50 or so films in the past 5 years. That sort of stuff doesn't bug me, since it's usually all they can do to borrow music from another film, it also doesn't bug me when music from one film is used in another as an homage (as in True Romance, whose take on the Badlands theme I love, "You're So Cool"), but when one films rips another's music off, then it is kind of problematic. But then of course, that distinction is in the ear of the beholder.

JCPhoenix
02-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by cky_landspeed
The trailer for Two Towers uses the same theme as in Requiem For A Dream, the summer overature i think it's called.

To expand on that, they actually took the overture, and redid the entire thing with a different orchestra, etc. It sounds a bit different from any of the full Requiem for a Dream overtures tho (including Summer), so I think they changed things a bit...

Originally posted by BeeblebroxI noticed that the beginning of Attack of the Clones uses the exact same score as the beginning of Star Wars. What's up with that?

Well, I think the reason that the opening score is the same in both Star Wars and Attack of the Clones is because the composers in both cases use roughly the same chords, as well as utilizing similar instruments in the orchestral arrangement to...I'm joking of course ;) lol

Jayen
02-11-2003, 05:21 AM
Any one thinks Star Wars sounds like Born Free played back wards ?

therealjohng
02-11-2003, 08:40 AM
We all know that "Bishop's Countdown" from the Aliens Soundtrack is used in a hell of a lot of action trailers.

KyleG
02-11-2003, 09:34 AM
Aliens and Patriot Games, James Horner repeated his work

damn him

neilg78
02-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Star Wars and ET - John Williams rips off his own work by using Vaders theme (bar a few notes) near the beginning of ET

Beeblebrox
02-12-2003, 02:34 AM
Well with trailers it's different ladies and gents. Often when a trailer is made the score for the film is not done yet, so they use a piece of score from another film, usually by the same studio.

Most of the time the rights to musical scores belong to the composers, not the studios. So when an editor is looking for a score to use in a trailer, he'll get something that fits the theme or emotion of the movie and license it directly from the composer.

Cosimo
02-12-2003, 06:24 PM
The atmospheric haunting theme called "the ending" used very effectively in Traffic with Del Toro's character watching the baseball game was also used in the pretty average 28 Day Later.

gs455
02-12-2003, 06:59 PM
[B]Aliens and Patriot Games, James Horner repeated his work

he actually used it on Something wicked this way comes first

HM Murdock
02-14-2003, 07:25 AM
I think that the theme from Hook and the love theme from Attack of the Clones sound very similar (both John Williams).

The Lost World (the BBC version with Bob Hoskins) had a soundtrack that ripped off Jurassic Park's Lost World. It was shocking to hear just how similar the soundtracks are and that Universal didn't sue them.

DragonHeart used a theme for one of the Oscar nights.

X-Men and Behind Enemy Lines both used the song Atom Bomb.
X-Men and Tomb Raider both used Fluke's Abuserd.

The trailer for Spiderman used the Planet of the Apes theme.

Pootie
02-14-2003, 08:17 AM
ive heard music from the rock and requim for a dream in trailers for a moviem, but i was under the assumption that that was just a regular thing.