PDA

View Full Version : RECOMMENDED MOVIE: "The Eye"

Klaus Weasley
02-14-2003, 12:14 PM
The Eye is a new horror movie from Hong Kong. The plot is pretty much At First Sight meets The Sixth Sense. It's about a blind woman who regains her sight via cornea transplant but unforunately her corneas belong to a woman who can see ghosts and dead people. Very spooky, Sixth Sense-like and it even includes the line "How can you help me if you don't believe me?" (in Chinese of course). Coincidence or direct reference? You be the judge when you see it. The climactic scene is quite spectacularly traumatizing.

Tom Cruise has picked up the rights to produce a Hollywood version. SEE IT BEFORE THEN!!!

Kim_EZ
02-14-2003, 02:30 PM
This movie isn't really new anymore. x.x But yeah, it is a good movie.

This sounds like a promotion. x.x

FT13TH Addict
02-27-2003, 06:30 AM
I agree. The first part of it was like Sixth sense and the ending had a Mothman Prof. ending to it. Pretty :cool: !!

KaMiKaZ3
02-27-2003, 06:32 AM
yeah, cool flick. Not too sure about a remake of it tho, and Tom Cruise? give me a break.
Hollywood should leave films like this alone, im sure they think that adding big special fx will make a classic even better.

Final Girl
03-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Finally got my copy from AMAZON.CO.UK. Loved it. Scary, eerie, and moving all the same time. I just know know Hollywood will fuck it up. WHat the hell is Tom Cruise trying to do anyway, create his own version of THE OTHERS to match his ex-wife's success?

dellamorte dellamore
03-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Normally i would automatically dismiss a remake of a succesful foreign horror film , but i thought the remake of the ring was great , so i'll give it a chance .

koala
03-18-2003, 08:42 AM
i've heard good things. i have this on my kazaa list of movies to download. then again i have 56k, so it may take forever for me to download it. shew

supa_horror_fan
03-18-2003, 11:49 AM
The Eye was one freakie ass movie, theres one scene in the movie thats beyond scary! it was terrifying! definitely a must watch for all horror fan........

dellamorte dellamore
03-18-2003, 06:53 PM
How do you think it compares to the Ring , on a purely creep factor and narrative basis ? I'm going to watch it anyway , but i'm curious .

Final Girl
03-22-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by dellamorte dellamore
How do you think it compares to the Ring , on a purely creep factor and narrative basis ? I'm going to watch it anyway , but i'm curious .

DD, I think it's at least on a par with RINGU. In some ways, it is more effective and more poignant. You care more about these characters. And RINGU's scares were closer to the end of the film. In THE EYE, those moments are sprinkled throughout.

Damned Martian
03-22-2003, 07:45 AM
Just seen it

8.5/10

As good as The Ring (some parts even better)

dellamorte dellamore
03-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Gotta see this one , you shmoes are getting anxious with your glowing recommendations . I'm also hearing good things about Kairo ( pulse ) , it's supposedly similar in structure to The Eye , but with a much darker narrative tone .

Voodoodoll
03-23-2003, 04:51 AM
I finally got around to seeing this (it's always out when I go to rent it). It's really creepy, has an engaging story and gave me a sleepless night :rolleyes:

Top film ;)

scottish-movie-freak
04-17-2003, 03:20 PM
I loved The Eye! I actually saw it at the cinema but I was kinda sleepy and nodded off for 20 mins of the film but of what I saw of it, twas great! I just wonder what happened through those missing 20 minutes...

BadCoverVersion
04-23-2003, 05:54 AM
Great flick, and youíve got to love that ending (similar to Ring 0 in many ways but infinitely better)...some of the imagery was eerie as fuck, particularly soon after Munís sight is restored. I couldnít help but anticipate just what she was about to see.

I would definitely recommend this one, chilling and refreshing.

Kevin_blaze
04-23-2003, 09:05 AM
I saw it already and I gave it 6/10. It has a great plot and also good performances. However it's not scary at all for me. However the techincal effect of the movie gave more tension as the movie goes. A good resurrection of Asian psychollogical horror!~

someguy
04-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Why are you sitting in my chair?

Final Girl
05-01-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm so cold....

FT13TH Addict
05-02-2003, 07:30 AM
Have you seen my report card?

pat00139
05-04-2003, 12:21 AM
I loved this flick. Very creepy and very scary. I'm really glad Miss Lee won the best actress award. She was awesome. Definitely something everyone should watch.

Scully1888
06-15-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by supa_horror_fan
The Eye was one freakie ass movie, theres one scene in the movie thats beyond scary!

Which one? The (WITHOUT TRYING TO SPOIL FILM) calligraphy scene or the "15" scene?

This is a fucking stunning film. Any of you schmoes notice the hidden ghosts in it? Like the woman's face in the window of the train and the 4 ghosts standing in the graveyard?

dellamorte dellamore
06-15-2003, 06:53 AM
If you liked The Eye , then you will probably like Kourie by K Kurosawa , it contains the same elements , especially the one about a woman who sees ghosts . Also Dark Water is another film that resembles this . I don't know , i definitely enjoyed The Eye , but istill don't see how it's any different than the sixth sense , except for the twist ending with Willis's character .

They both feature someone who can see ghosts , more accurately ghosts who won't leave this plane of existence becuase of some sort of unresolved trauma . The only difference is that The Eye has a smaller budget , it's not exactly more creepy than SS , just in a different setting . My theory is that it's the Asian flavor to the film that gets people excited , the same film in an American setting made by a major studio would probably get lambasted as a ripoff or something .

This is another example of Asian directors lifting elements from American cinema and getting away with it because people automatically think anything from over there must be great and original , trust me it's not all that . Oh yeah , did i mention Visible Secret and Kairo also feature people who see ghosts , so please i wish people would stop praising this film so much , it's an excellent , well made film , but it's not reinventing anything or bringing anything new to the genre .

I have to mention this one more time Blair Witch and Last Broadcast brought something new to the genre , not the Eye , and even if you hate those films you can't deny , there is or was nothing else like them before .

It takes a little more than a couple of random images of " Ghosts " to creep me out , so all the ones running around in The Eye and other films like it just don't scare me as much as some other people seem to be unsettled by them .

But in the end , like i stated before , recommend The I , it's an entertianing film and well worth the effort to get a copy of the DVD , the cheaper HK version that is .

In closing , if you really want to see an amazing performance by a young lady in a " ghost " story , then i highly recommend Urban Ghost Story , i'm surpised the girl in that film hasn't really done anything else , she was unreal in that film . And you can't say it ripped off any of the latest Asian horror films , it predates almost all of the recent ones everyone is going gaga over . If anything Dark Water ripped it off , with a couple of little twists of it's own . It's also much more subtle than all the in your face , here's a ghost films that are running rampant lately .

Scully1888
06-16-2003, 12:44 PM
I have to mention this one more time Blair Witch and Last Broadcast brought something new to the genre , not the Eye , and even if you hate those films you can't deny , there is or was nothing else like them before.

What about Cannibal Holocaust?

someguy
06-16-2003, 01:32 PM
I have to admit that I didn't really like it too. There was 1 scene that freaked me out but that's really it. There weren't a lot of ghosts but still after seeing it I didn't get scared or anything(except for that one scene). I will say that the lead does an excellent job the ending is good and it does good as a drama.

6/10

SteveSzyk
06-16-2003, 03:53 PM
Just watched it today and loved it.... Here's my review:

The Eye (http://www.epinions.com/content_103165169284)

As American horror films nose dived in quality, Asia was right there providing the remedy to keep the genre alive, giving us horror fans films that did the unthinkable today; scare. From the brilliance of Ring and Kairo to the shocks of Audition and Uzumaki, the Far East had it all covered, creating films destined to live on as classics of an almost deceased genre (Luckily, 2003 is seeing a revial in great old school horror). As the general public now seems to be catching on, these amazing films are seeing DVD releases, remakes, and even some limited theatrical releases. Seeing its way to a very limited selection of theatres this year is The Eye, a frightening, smart and downright awesome movie.

The film stars Angelica Lee as Mun, a woman in her early twenties who has been blind since birth. Opportunities have arisen, and she is able to undergo a cornea transplant, allowing her to finally see the world of which she lives. All goes well, and Mun opens her eyes to sights she could never imagine, and to quote the American tagline, a reflection that isnít hers. All the supernatural aside, The Eyeís introduction is a heart warming, triumphant dramatic collection of sequences. Lee gives a fantastic performance, and I felt for her character completely. As she slowly opens her eyes for the first time all the awe and amazement that she feels, I felt, as the directors throw in shoots showing just what she is seeing. You are in her shoes, and her emotion is also yours.

And then the ghosts arrive. These sequences retreat back to the style of The Sixth Sense. The ghosts are not just throw away apparitions there to look scary, make you scream, and then say bye-bye; instead they each of stories and intriguingly mysterious reasons for their deaths just as in Sense. However that is not to say they donít look scary and wonít make you scream. Rather, the ghost scenes found in this film have a place in my twisted little heart as some of the scariest things Iíve witnessed in a long time, standing a step ahead of Sense's sequences in the scare factor department. The Pang Brotherís direct these scenes with precision and hesitation; the scares donít always jump out at you; instead they slowly creep up on you, attacking when youíre not exactly ready. Youíll also find yourself covering your ears, as some of the most frightening sounds ever can be found right here in The Eye. The phantomís voices are themselves scarier than nearly every American slasher of the late 90ís, destined to make you cringe and go insane (Well maybe not literally).

The mystery leads us on an expedition for the truth, as our lead travels to find out just what was up with the donor. Itís impossible to miss the clear reference to Ring, from the rush, to the flashbacks, to the revelation through the supernatural. Even if it feels like itís been seen before, jolts and shocks are still abruptly present as the entire film seems to fall into place. And it does so flawlessly, providing a completely unpredictable and fascinating answer that sets it leagues ahead of the films it borrows from. Furthermore, it continues to shock with an absolutely incredible and volatile finale, as you enter Munís psyche and feel her confusion once more.

Problems with The Eye are present, however subtle. Like almost every tale of the supernatural plot holes exist, and many questions are left unanswered. For example, many of the ghostís stories are not round up as nicely and as clear-cut as Iíd wanted them to be, proving that the filmmakers were just trying to fit in as many scares as possible. Although to cite this as a problem seems trivial, as all of them do fulfill their purpose and scare, making the movie a blast to watch. Also, as soon as I started to be concerned about this, bigger and more important stories took over the field of view. Also to be noted are a few underdeveloped characters thrown in the mix, such as Munís grandmother and sister. They do absolutely nothing to advance the story, but to be honest it did not bother me for a second, as I was too absorbed in Leeís character to really take notice.

Back to the goods, The Eye also benefits from a strong sense of irony and a successfully established theme. While it seems finally being able to see after years and years of blindness would be the greatest thing in the world, for our lead itís a curse. Sheís told of the beauties of the world, and how wonderful sight is, yet when she can see herself she finds herself etched with fear and dreading her vision. This allows the film to institute a theme; that of messing with what nature has caused. Maybe operations and medicines are not so great after all, and everyone should go with the flow, living with what troubles have been placed upon them. Strange for a ghost story to touch upon this commentary, but I noticed and appreciated it very much. Certainly got me thinking for a bit.

Overall The Eye is an awesome journey. It scares plenty, shocks enough, and places you in the pants of Ö in the shoes of its lead character. While it definitely feels like the most Hollywood inspired of the Asian treasures, itís impossible to deny its power and presence. The acting is fantastic all around, the script is sharp and clever, the direction is stylish and appropriate and the twists are shocking and intriguing. If the film raises any questions, it was for me ďWhy canít Americanís be this darn good?Ē

9/10

dellamorte dellamore
06-16-2003, 06:54 PM
I don't exactly agree about Cannibal Holocaust resembling either Blair or Last Broadcast , both films were structured in a unique way , somewhat similar to CH , but ultimately thoroughly original .

Anyway , it seems that The Eye is either blowing people away or simply underwhelming people that were expecting a bit more .

What i don't understand is how people don't think that Sixth Sense was character driven , or that the apparitions were only there for shocks . Please , watch the film again , the foundation of the film was a young , talented boy who is an outsider in society , who happens to have the ability to see ghosts . Now , if you remember the ghosts that he saw all came to him for a very specific purpose , they weren't just there , but they overcame their unresolved conflicts through him so they could pass on to the next plane of existence and finally rest in peace . Remember the mother who was poisoning her daughter , until eventually she murdered her , Haley Joel's character went to the girl's house to expose what the mother did by showing the videotape from the surveillance camera that was in her room , secretly taping her mother . Sound a bit familiar , the whole unresolved conflict thing that some people say seperates The Eye from Sixth Sense . There are so many other examples of the ghosts he sees having a purpose , so i find it difficult to accept the notion that that somehow The Eye possesses more emotional resonance with regards to the ghosts that are seen in that film .

And i thought HJO's perf in that film was stunning , especially cinsidering his age at the time , better than the one by the leads in The Eye . You cared about him , he made you care about because of his performance , and it was so tragic that his mother felt helpless in her attempts to comfort him , or to figure out what exactly is wrong with him . SS is an extremely powerful film that deals with some uncomfortable issues , it's bold , and not only about a little boy that can see ghosts .

I just don't see ( pardon the pun ) , how anyone thinks The Eye is a superior film to the Sixth Sense , it's the same exact movie , but it's Asian , so automatically it must be good , Asian directors would never rip an idea from an American director , or make a bad film . Of course i'm being a bit of a wise guy with those last two comments .

Watch SS again , then watch the Eye , you will be hard pressed to deny the Pang Bros didn't steal numerous elements from it , and it's not as if they improved upon them , if anything i would classify the I as an effective homage to a classic film .

someguy
06-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Hey dellamorte you should put spoiler warnings in case anyone might get mad if they haven't seen the movies your talking about.

dellamorte dellamore
06-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Oops , i guess i was wrong to assume just about everyone and their father has seen Sixth Sense . If you haven't , i apologize , but don't worry i didn't spil too much .

SteveSzyk
06-16-2003, 08:11 PM
dellamorte dellamore, if that was in response to my review, allow me to clear some stuff up:

The Sixth Sense is indeed an incredible flick; powerful and intriguing. My review was unclear at this point:

These sequences retreat back to the style of The Sixth Sense, however providing much more tension and fear. Theyíre not throw away apparitions just there to look scary, make you scream, and then say bye-bye; instead they each of stories and intriguingly mysterious reasons for their deaths.

I did mean that I found The Eye's sequences scarier, and contrary to how it can easily be intrepretted I did not mean that The Sixth Sense's ghosts are 'throw away apparitions,' instead I meant that is how the film borrows from Sense, by creating characters out of the ghosts. I would also agree that the ghost's seen in Sense were even more developed; in fact the only aspect that I think The Eye is one step ahead (regarding the ghosts) is scare factor. I should clear that up in my review.

In comparision, I did enjoy The Eye more than The Sixth Sense. It was scarier, and I thought the twist was much more grand and intriguing. Not to belittle the power of Sense's twist for it was incredible and shocking, however the execution of The Eye's finale was more to my taste. The grandness, the rush, the flashbacks. Had me on the edge of my seat and wanting more.

Calling The Eye the same film is also not justified; there are certainly similarities but overal are very different films. The only blantant similarity I noticed is the seeing of dead people, and that's been found in many many film, not just The Sixth Sense.

dellamorte dellamore
06-17-2003, 07:04 AM
Now that makes much more sense ( pun intended ) . For a second there i thought you didn't think SS was a complex film , or that somehow it pales in comparison to The Eye .

We;ll just agree to disagree , because Sixth Sense had a much more more profound impact on me , because of the mundane , everyday world the characters found themselves , and also because the performances just made that world seem so real , i could relate to what they were all going through . Plus the ghosts were creepy as hell , so graphic . Some were menacing , some were benevolent , some just suffering .

The characters in the Eye , with few exceptions , felt cold and distant ( critical in a film such as this , in my opinion , but some films actually benefit from this element . Even the residual characters in SS contributed something important to the proceedings . Was the boy in the apartment building a sly nod to Haley's character in SS , just a thought , but what really prevented the EYE from having that chilling effect it's having on other people is that i didn't buy the world that was created , and without that , i'm constantly reminded that i'm only watching a film .

SS had me wrapped up in the proceedings , i forgot i was watching a movie and there was not one false note .

Spoiler - maybe

Would you agree that the ending is somewhat similar to Mothman prophesies ? Just curious .

FT13TH Addict
06-17-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by FT13TH Addict
I agree. The first part of it was like Sixth sense and the ending had a Mothman Prof. ending to it. Pretty :cool: !!

Yep, I am one person that found it had an Mothman Prophecies to it. As much as I like the Sixth Sense, I enjoyed The Eye the more.

SteveSzyk
06-17-2003, 09:55 AM
****Spoilers****

Oh yeah, it's impossible to deny the very apparant similarities to The Mothman Prophecies. Almost identical. Even so, that ending just whopped my ass. It really pulled everything together. I loved the whole false ending, especially the discovery that theres more to come. Seeing the ghosts rush past the window. Incredible stuff.

Scully1888
06-17-2003, 03:06 PM
I don't exactly agree about Cannibal Holocaust resembling either Blair or Last Broadcast , both films were structured in a unique way , somewhat similar to CH , but ultimately thoroughly original.

Cannibal Holocaust - 3 filmmakers go to the jungle to film a documentary about cannibalism. They die. The tape is found. We see the tape.
The Blair Witch Project - 3 filmmakers go to the woods to film a documentary about witchcraft. They presumably die. The tape is found. We see the tape.

I quote again, you state The Blair Witch Project is "ultimately thoroughly original".

This is surely untrue.

As for the Sixth Sense, you also give the impression that The Sixth Sense is a completely original film, as if there hasn't been a ghost movie before. Hell, even William Castle's 1960 version of "13 Ghosts" let viewers see ghosts if they put on special glasses when they watched the film.

There is no such thing as an original horror film these days. To say The Eye is a ripoff of The Sixth Sense is wrong, as the Sixth Sense borrows from older ghost films. To say the Blair Witch Project is "ultimately thoroughly original" is ridiculous, as it clearly borrows (perhaps unintentionally, granted) from Cannibal Holocaust (and perhaps even The Last Broadcast, as the producer of TLB has stated at least once). Even to say Ringu is original is incorrect as THAT scene is similarly portrayed in Demons 2 and, to a lesser extent, Poltergeist.

what really prevented the EYE from having that chilling effect it's having on other people is that i didn't buy the world that was created, and without that, i'm constantly reminded that i'm only watching a film.

To claim The Sixth Sense is believable and The Eye is not is the reverse of my beliefs, it has to be said. I find The Sixth Sense less believeable because when I watch it, I don't believe I'm watching a doctor, because I've seen him walking over broken glass in a vest in Die Hard - it's Bruce Willis, not some quack. I don't believe I'm watching a boy who can see ghosts - it's Forrest Gump's son.

The use of practically unknown characters in The Eye vastly affected my belief in what I was watching. Angelica Lee (as Mun) was outstandingly believeable in my opinion, her face beautifully wondrous and mysterious as she looks at all these new things for the first time, and not once did I think "she's acting a blind person well", instead I was overjoyed for her when she looked in the mirror for the first time.

You also claim that The Sixth Sense is more about helping ghosts out than The Eye is. Is this possibly because (THE EYE SPOILERS) the girl at the calligraphy lesson and the man in the elevator were not helped?

Well, what about (SIXTH SENSE SPOILERS) the boy with the gun blast in his head, the woman who Cole mistook for his mother, the person in the bike accident and the ghost in the upstairs room at the party? The only person helped in the Sixth Sense, not counting Malcolm are the girl in the tent, and we assume he helps the woman in the dressing room before he goes onstage.

Personally, I enjoyed the Sixth Sense, although because of the hype I knew there was a twist, therefore it was relatively easy to guess considering the early events of the film and the subgenre of the film.

The Eye, on the other hand, was completely unknown to me, other than the fact it was about a woman who sees ghosts and that there was a shockingly scary scene with an elevator (as it turned out, it WAS quite eerie but no match for the numbing terror of "that" calligraphy scene).

I suppose one man's purple tongue-licked meat is another man's poisoned soup. :D

Scully1888
06-17-2003, 03:07 PM
And as an unintentional exclamation point, here's a double-post for you. :D

supa_horror_fan
06-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Which one? The (WITHOUT TRYING TO SPOIL FILM) calligraphy scene or the "15" scene?

The Classroom with the student scene..... Dont think that scene freaked every1 out but it almost gave me a heart attack....:confused:

Even to say Ringu is original is incorrect as THAT scene is similarly portrayed in Demons 2 and, to a lesser extent, Poltergeist.

C'mon, I think your getting a little nitt-picky there..... Two totally different movies that share a some-what similar scene..... In my book the Rings a OG! :D

Scully1888
06-19-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by supa_horror_fan
C'mon, I think your getting a little nitt-picky there..... Two totally different movies that share a some-what similar scene..... In my book the Rings a OG! :D

All I was saying was that a film can't be totally original. Don't get me wrong, The Ring's fucking top class (I own all 7 DVDs in the Ring series so there must be something in it I like :D), but everyone made a big deal of the ending despite something like it having been done before.

That's not to say it's ineffective (because it kicks Demons 2's ass up and down the block), but that it's not 100% original.

It was simply an example to try and get my point across that no film is truly original, as dellamorte dellamore claimed The Blair Witch project was.

drunkenangel
06-23-2003, 08:04 AM
Excellent movie, a movie I rented after reading the Arrow's review. Found it kinda emotional at parts, other parts I found terrifying, and the ending....wow.

I liked it. I can't wait for hollywood to fuck it up :D

Masterbrain
07-02-2003, 12:04 PM
One of the scariest movies that I have ever seen! :D It was way better than Sixth Sense.

SpaceMutt07
07-07-2003, 04:17 PM
BTW, Tom Cruise isnt going to be in it, its just his production company. So we can all calm down. Besides, hollywood didnt fuck up The Ring, in my opinion. I despise Ringu. Its overrated and cheap looking, despite the fact it may have had a low budget. The Eye sounds a lot better than Ringu.

Gretchen_Ross
07-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Scully1888
This is a fucking stunning film. Any of you schmoes notice the hidden ghosts in it? Like the woman's face in the window of the train and the 4 ghosts standing in the graveyard?

i don't think i would have notived the ghost in the train window if i hadn't seen your avatar first, Scully1888. thanks for the tipoff.

Donnie_Darko
07-14-2003, 03:44 AM
Oh.... Weasleeeeeeeyyyyyy :D (let's see who gets that)

I have YET to track this flick down... damnit!!

someguy
07-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Bling Blinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg

Clone High is so funny.

psycho path
08-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Damn, I wanna see this so bad, along with RINGU. My hype for this film grew after seeing the hidden ghosts in Scully's avatar. BRRRR...

Scully1888
08-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Mwa ha ha.

Better get some calligraphy lessons in while you're still brave enough to go, my friend. :)

someguy
08-06-2003, 01:17 PM
But bring your own chair.

Lynn Minmei
08-18-2003, 08:16 AM
I want to see this, but I heard it actually was passed over Cincinnati because no arthouse wanted it. No flippin way.