PDA

View Full Version : The Tuxedo, Road To Perdition, Tuck Everlasting, Queer As Folk, Knockaround Guys???

Mike
02-21-2003, 12:23 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JL8Z.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000798EY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

THIS WEEKS NEW MOVIES ON VHS/DVD:

THE TUXEDO
ROAD TO PERDITION
TUCK EVERLASTING
QUEER AS FOLK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON
KNOCKAROUND GUYS
SNIPES
DEEP SPACE 9 (SEASON 1)
THE WICKSBORO INCIDENT
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: BELLE'S MAGICAL WORLD
ALL THE WRONG PLACES
FOREIGN GHOSTS
THE QUICKIE

Man, this is a pretty crappy week for new movies...

THE TUXEDO looked okay and Jennifer Love Hewitt is a hottie, so I will check it out.

I really wish ROAD TO PERDITION was a movie I wanted to see and own, because it's only 14.89 at Deep Discount DVD and that's a fucking steal, damn it, I wish I could take advantage of that but it just has to be for a movie I could care less about. Why can't I ever get a good deal!? :(

I don't really care about TUCK EVERLASTING, I've heard it's boring and it looks boring too. I'd "maybe" see it someday, but I'm not expecting it to be any time soon.

KNOCKAROUND GUYS looks lame, so I'll be avoiding that too.

I already pre-ordered my copy of QUEER AS FOLK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON (it's expensive, but worth it). I was shocked at how great the first season was, I didn't even expect to like the show. Since I don't get Showtime, I have no choice but to buy it if I want to see it, and since I'm dying to see season 2 of this controversial and well written show, I just had to purchase it. I can't wait to see it.

You can check out my thoughts on the first season here: http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6046

Since this week sucks for the most part, I will check out some older releases I haven't seen yet. The Complete First Season Of SIX FEET UNDER was out when I went to the video store on Wednesday, so if it's in when I go I will definitely check it out. I've heard it's excellent. I also still need to check out SWEPT AWAY.

I might rent these as well:

CLERKS
LAST DANCE
AMERICAN HISTORY X
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST (I "might" break down and decide to rent this one.)
GIA (Maybe I'll see this one as well, since I haven't seen it yet.)

WHAT WILL YOU RENT/BUY???

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JLBQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JLOT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007LB4C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A.J. Hakari
02-21-2003, 12:28 AM
Never caught KNOCKAROUND GUYS or TUCK EVERLASTING in the theatres, so I'll be renting those.

P.S. Mike, I caught LAST DANCE (if we're both talking about the Sharon Stone prison film) a few years back. Not that hot of a flick; pretty predictable, mediocre stuff. ROAD TO PERDITION, on the other hand, is anything but boring. It's one of my five favorites of the year, a powerful and emotional film that blew me away on all levels. Don't let this one pass you by, man. :cool:

notchreturns
02-21-2003, 12:30 AM
I guess I'll rent Road To Perdition, for I'd like to get another viewing before my I give my final rating...

PS: Mike, the most lovable schmoe of 'em all, screw that POS (piece of shit) entitled The Tuxedo and rent One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, for chrissakes...

Dear GOD, steal it if you have to... it's a frigging amazing movie and anyone who considers themselves a fan of film has to see it at some time.... it's bond to happen, might as well happen this weekend! ;)

BarryEgan
02-21-2003, 12:35 AM
Well this week has one of the better releases of 2002, Road to Perdition. I'll definitely be picking that up, and another catalogue title. But Mike, I think you should defintiely give Road to Perdition a chance, at least a rental. There's a chance you might be pleasantly surprised.

BorderEevilIII
02-21-2003, 12:36 AM
THE TUXEDO-Saw in theatres when it was out. Usual Jackie Chan fare but still yet entertaining. 8/10

ROAD TO PERDITION-Never saw but since its Tom Hanks, I may plan to rent the movie

TUCK EVERLASTING-Ummmm....Errrrr...Maybe a rental

QUEER AS FOLK: THE COMPLETE SECOND-SEASON - I love this show & curious to see what goes on S2!

KNOCKAROUND GUYS-Wanted to see this movie but never got around to it. Do plan to rent.

ilovemovies
02-21-2003, 12:41 AM
I don't think it's a bad week, infact, it's a pretty good batch of movies. Out of these movies Snipes is the weakest one and I thought it was a pretty good and interesting low-budget indie thriller. The Tuxedo is admittedly a trifle but an enjoyable trifle and the adorable Jennifer Love Hewitt stole the movie for me. Knockaround Guys is a solid tale about a son of a maffia man who tries to prove to his father that he can pull off a job and his father gives him that chance and naturally things don't go so well. Only complaint is Dennis Hopper should have gotten more time since the relationship between son Barry Pepper and dad Hopper is really the meet of the story and it should have developed a little more. But Pepper's performance more than makes up for this (not to mention it makes up for his leaden dull and laughably bad performance in Battlefield Earth). You can see in his eyes that that is what the movie is about. Other than that, Great cast (Vin Diesel and Seth Green are particularly good) + interesting characters + nice twist at the end that I didn't see coming= Very Good Movie. Tuck Everlasting's only real problem is it is WAY too short. This 90 minute movie should have been atleast two hours as a result it wasn't as developed as well as it should have. But it is developed enough so we like the characters and I was surprised by how much I liked the romance between Jonathan Jackson's character and Alexis Bladell's character. Like the movie, it is sweet and moving but because it is too short it falls a little short on greatness. Easily the best of the lot is Sam Mendes's terrific followup to American Beauty, Road to Perdition. Simply put, this is one of the best films of the year and contains two of the best performances of the year from Tom Hanks, cast against type as conflicted hitman for the mafia and the great Paul Newman who is absolutely deserving of his oscar nomination. A stunning masterpiece.

Snipes ***
The Tuxedo ***
Knockaround Guys ***
Tuck Everlasting ***
Road to Perdition ****

Mike
02-21-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Adam J. Hakari
P.S. Mike, I caught LAST DANCE (if we're both talking about the Sharon Stone prison film) a few years back. Not that hot of a flick; pretty predictable, mediocre stuff. ROAD TO PERDITION, on the other hand, is anything but boring. It's one of my five favorites of the year, a powerful and emotional film that blew me away on all levels. Don't let this one pass you by, man. :cool:

I'm still curious about Last Dance though. I have been for awhile, so I may as well get it over with. Maybe I'll give Road To Perdition a shot, I'm not a big Tom Hanks fan (I don't like him or dislike him, I just don't care about him either way), but I am a huge fan of great cinematography, which I think this one could have, plus I LOVED American Beauty, so who knows, "maybe" I will check it out afterall. I do want to try and see as many films as I can, so I might give it a chance.

Originally posted by notchreturns
PS: Mike, the most lovable schmoe of 'em all, screw that POS (piece of shit) entitled The Tuxedo and rent One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, for chrissakes...

Dear GOD, steal it if you have to... it's a frigging amazing movie and anyone who considers themselves a fan of film has to see it at some time.... it's bond to happen, might as well happen this weekend! ;)

Well, I do plan on seeing The Tuxedo for sure, even if it might suck. So if I did rent One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, I'd rent The Tuxedo as well. I've heard it's impossible not to like One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and everyone seems to love it, so I'm kind of afraid to see it in case I don't like it. I want to like it, but what if I don't? Then I'd be pretty much one of the only people not to like it.

screamer581
02-21-2003, 01:01 AM
I missed Road To Perdition in theaters, so I will definitely check it out on video this week. I have no interest in the rest. Oh Mike, I really think you will like One Flew Over.... I don't think you will give the film lower than a 7/10. If you give it anything lower, I'll kill ya. :) Just kidding bud.

Mike
02-21-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by screamer581
If you give it anything lower, I'll kill ya. :)

Well, that makes me want to run out and get it right now ;)...

Annie Hall
02-21-2003, 01:35 AM
I'll rent Road to Perdition, I was in Scotland when it was released...so I never got to it! Too busy seeing all those goddamn castles ;)

Tuck Everlasting I may buy, just to have a cute romantic flick around the house. I saw it, and enjoyed it. Surprisingly good for a Disney live-action movie starring the Gilmore Girls tart.

Fisting Ackbar
02-21-2003, 01:51 AM
ROAD TO PERDITION is definitely a rental.

Can't say that I'm interested in any of the others

Strider
02-21-2003, 01:55 AM
I will definitely be buying "Road to Perdition", it was an excellent film, and one of my favorite films of last year. It's a shame it didn't get nominated for more oscars.

As far as rentals go, I'm looking forward to checking out "Knockaround Guys". It looks like a good movie.

I think I will also be buying "Tuck Everlasting". I didn't care much for the film, but I'm buying it for my cousin... she likes these kind of flicks.

Strider

sharkstank
02-21-2003, 03:04 AM
didnt catch any of these in theatres.i'll be renting road to perdition,knockaround guys,tuck everlasting,the tuxedo,and maybe snipes

freakandgeek
02-21-2003, 03:10 AM
i am getting the knockaround guys! definately!:cool:

tuck everlasting looks good!

i will try road to perdition for the fact that even if a tom hanks movie looks boring, i will see it, cause i usually like them (even if they look incredibly boring)

the tuxedo looks funny. did that even come out in the theatre?

the others i will have to look into.

Moviefan1234
02-21-2003, 03:17 AM
"Road To Perdition" is definately on my list to check out. It looks amazing! Believe it or not, I also think "Tuck Everlasting" looks decent, so I may check that out too.

Fergus
02-21-2003, 03:44 AM
I saw both Road to Perdition and Tuck Everlasting in theaters. RTP disappointed me just a little because of the cliched opening and closing sequences, other than that, a great movie (7/10). While my grade isn't exceptional, I will buy PERDITION because it has the some of the best cinematography of any movie last year, but mostly because "Father and Son" storylines, like the one here, always get the best of me for certain personal reasons.

Tuck Everlasting was Disney's newest method of kicking an old fan of theirs in the nuts. The reason I say this is that as a kid, TUCK was one of my absolute favorite books due mostly to the fantasy elements, and THEY BUTCHERED IT. Every time I think about the movie, my grade lowers, now officially, I give it a 4/10 (it used to be a 6/10). The only moment in TUCK that rang truthfully and believably was the ending, some decent cinematography. But that film LOOKED identical to past Disney live-action films The Adventures of Huck Finn, and Tom and Huck. There was nothing new or beautiful about it, which the poster insists. They ripped one of my favorite books, and I'm glad it made less than 20 mil at the BO.

The other films look like complete crap to be avoided at all costs, by me anyway. AND MIKE, your taste in movies baffles me. If you were ask me to recommend some movies to you, I couldn't do it, you're unpredictable, I might pick every movie you couldn't stand to watch. With most schmoes, there's a pattern with the types of movies they do and do not like, with you it changes constantly. You're actually going to pick THE TUXEDO over RTP? I'm baffled again, I'm confused. :confused: Once you eventually rent ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST and watch it, and maybe, just maybe I might understand your taste, as for now, no comprende.

Horror whore
02-21-2003, 06:46 AM
ROAD TO PERDITION- It looked like a movie made to win Oscars, I hate movies like that.
TUCK EVERLASTING- I loved the book in the sixth grade so I'll definitley give the movie a chance.
THE TUXEDO- I aw the first ten minutes in the theaters and that was enough for me.

This will be a week to catch up on movies I've missed over time.

Ren Hoek
02-21-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Mike
I really wish ROAD TO PERDITION was a movie I wanted to see and own, because it's only 14.89 at Deep Discount DVD and that's a fucking steal, damn it, I wish I could take advantage of that but it just has to be for a movie I could care less about. Why can't I ever get a good deal!? :(
Why, Mike? Why don't you just check it out? Usually I don't try to persuade people to see a film they're not interested in... but you liked (loved?) AMERICAN BEAUTY and that's why I can't understand why you don't have the slightest ambition to see ROAD TO PERDITION (same director, cinematographer, composer and producers). It's not the best film of the year IMO, but it's really worth your precious time. Trust me, mate!

oh yeah, and I second and third Notch's comment on ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST. It's a must-see for every movielover :)

idealdiscountdude
02-21-2003, 08:14 AM
The only one that I hope to see this week is Tuck Everlasting. I read the novel years ago and loved it, so I'm curious about it.

The other releases don't interest me at all.

Razorblade Smile
02-21-2003, 09:05 AM
I'll probably check out Road to Perdition or maybe even Tuxedo. But that's only if Buffy is a rerun that night.

I have no interest in Tuck Everlasting.

And thanks to my heterosexually challenged buddy who felt the need to force every goddamn episode of Queer as Folk down my throat, I will HAPPILY bypass that one.

Asokan
02-21-2003, 09:18 AM
THE TUXEDO - Only heard bad things about it and I can't recall liking any of Jackie Chan's team-ups with American counterparts, not even the strangely overpraised SHANHAI NOON. No rent.

ROAD TO PERDITION - Seen it already in the theatre and like it, albeit with reservations. Brilliantly shot and superbly acted, but what a wimpy, moralistic story! Still, should've been more present at the Oscars and is a better film than all the nominees for Best Picture.

TUCK EVERLASTING - Gonna see it for all the good reviews.

KNOCKAROUND GUYS - Naaah. Too many bad reviews.

El Bracamonti
02-21-2003, 09:49 AM
for me, road to perdiiton was the best movie of 2002, so i'll definitely be picking it up the day that it comes out. as for the others movies listed, i have no interest in seeing any of them.

movies35
02-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by sharkstank
didnt catch any of these in theatres.i'll be renting road to perdition,knockaround guys,tuck everlasting,the tuxedo,and maybe snipes

I will be renting all the movies you listed except Snipes

The Claw
02-21-2003, 10:31 AM
Road to Perdition is the only one that looks any good the rest can go to hell.

max
02-21-2003, 10:39 AM
The single best thing about this year's Oscar nominations is that, with the exception of Paul Newman (a well-deserved nomination), the self-consciously self-conscious piece of Oscar-mongering called ROAD TO PERDITION did not get any major noms. I like Jackie Chan. I just don't like his movies. Fuck TUCK EVERLASTING. After THE HOURS, I'm in no mood for a chick flick. Ironically enough, like Mike, I'm feeling gay and may rent QUEER AS FOLK. KNOCKAROUND GUYS looks like another Tarantino ripoff. It doesn't help that the perpetually annoying John Malkovich and Dennis Hopper are in it.

sleekproductions
02-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Wow, man... I never realized how BITTER the people on these boards were :confused:

Anyways,

I will be renting Road to Perdition for sure. I'm very upset that I missed it in theatres.
I will also rent Tuck Everlasting, as it looks cute.

I saw both The Tuxedo and Knockaround Guys in theatres. Both were entertaining, but nothing I would buy. Perhaps rents in the future, but for know... I hope that other people can enjoy them.

As for Queer as Folk, it sounds interesting, but I haven't seen the first season, so... I may get around to it sometime.

max
02-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Wow, man... I never realized how BITTER the people on these boards were

Really? You either aren't around much or you're in denial. I've been trying show my bitterness since day 1. ;) Anyway, if you sit through one Hollywood crap after another, who wouldn't be bitter? David Mamet's interesting take on why movies suck here:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,4120,899342,00.html

TheMovieMinor
02-21-2003, 01:15 PM
I have Road to Perdition shipping Tuesday, I had preordered it a while ago. I wil probably rent Knockaround Guys in a couple of weeks. Rental stores around here, nope...

Mike
02-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Fergus
AND MIKE, your taste in movies baffles me. If you were ask me to recommend some movies to you, I couldn't do it, you're unpredictable, I might pick every movie you couldn't stand to watch. With most schmoes, there's a pattern with the types of movies they do and do not like, with you it changes constantly. You're actually going to pick THE TUXEDO over RTP? I'm baffled again, I'm confused. :confused: Once you eventually rent ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST and watch it, and maybe, just maybe I might understand your taste, as for now, no comprende.

Well, it all depends on what a person is in the mood for. I just wasn't really interested in seeing Road To Perdition, but The Tuxedo looked like it might be ok entertainment. So yeah, I would choose The Tuxedo over Road To Perdition. But I might rent Road To Perdition anyway, even if I'm not really a big fan of the cast or the story, the only thing that really interests me is the cinematography. And I guess I'd rather have an unpredictable taste in movies than a predictable taste in movies.

Scarface98.9
02-21-2003, 07:10 PM
I have no interest in any of the movies. I saw Road to Perdition, but isn't a movie I would see again. I originally gave it an 8, but it's now a 6 whenever I thought about it. Hanks was very boring, and went at a snail's pace

The Other
02-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Scarface98.9
I have no interest in any of the movies. I saw Road to Perdition, but isn't a movie I would see again. I originally gave it an 8, but it's now a 6 whenever I thought about it. Hanks was very boring, and went at a snail's pace
I very much agree. My rating did the same thing too (8 to 6). Mendes did American Beauty so I had high hopes, but now that I think about it, it was disappointing, hollow, and too pretentious.

Scarface98.9
02-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by The Other
I very much agree. My rating did the same thing too (8 to 6). Mendes did American Beauty so I had high hopes, but now that I think about it, it was disappointing, hollow, and too pretentious.
Ironically, I saw RTP the day before I saw American Beauty, so I had no expectations on Mendes part. I had moderate expectations because I love gangster films, and it didn't do much in that category, nor very well in any category

Sad man
02-21-2003, 08:47 PM
This is a very crappy week for new movies.Last week was great, but this was...No.

The Tuxedo(5/10 or C)
This movie wasnīt as bad as I thought itīd be, but it still was lame.The jokes were stupid and the only thing I really liked was Jennifer Love Hewitt.Worth the rental.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JL8Z.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Queer As Folk
The first season was ok, It was a surprise.It has a lot of sex, much more that in Sex and the city.Itīs enterteinig.Canīt rate it though.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000798EY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Road To Perdition(6/10 or C+)
This movie was a huge disappointment, It wasnīt bad, But I was expecting a lot more from Sam Mendes.A crappy follow up to the great American Beauty(8/10 or A-)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JLBQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

TUCK EVERLASTING: Donīt care about it
KNOCKAROUND GUYS: Donīt care about it
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: BELLE'S MAGICAL WORLD:Donīt care about it

Jerk Shapiro
02-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Road to Perdition, and Tuck Everlasting

Mike
02-22-2003, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by The Other

Ironically, I saw RTP the day before I saw American Beauty, so I had no expectations on Mendes part. I had moderate expectations because I love gangster films, and it didn't do much in that category, nor very well in any category

These words are real encouraging ;)... I probably won't like it. I loved AMERICAN BEAUTY (10/10 or A+), it's one of my favorite films of all time. But ROAD TO PERDITION doesn't sound even half as good, plus I don't care for gangsta flicks at all. I'm in between renting and not renting this one, if I do rent it I probably won't like it so it would just be a waste of money for me. This week really sucks for new movies... Even THE TUXEDO doesn't look that good, I mainly just want to check it out for Jennifer Love Hewitt, but the previews never made me laugh once and I don't care for Jackie Chan that much. At least the following week will be better (THE RING :))...

Scarface98.9
02-22-2003, 01:18 AM
These words are real encouraging ;)... I probably won't like it. I loved AMERICAN BEAUTY (10/10 or A+), it's one of my favorite films of all time. But ROAD TO PERDITION doesn't sound even half as good, plus I don't care for gangsta flicks at all. I'm in between renting and not renting this one, if I do rent it I probably won't like it so it would just be a waste of money for me. This week really sucks for new movies... Even THE TUXEDO doesn't look that good, I mainly just want to check it out for Jennifer Love Hewitt, but the previews never made me laugh once and I don't care for Jackie Chan that much. At least the following week will be better (THE RING :))...
Just rent it and decide for yourself. I say fuck Swept Away and The Tuxedo since both are wastes of money, whereas there's a chance you could like Perdition. But I'd probably say fuck Swept Away and the Tuxedo cause it sounds nice :cool:

Mike
02-22-2003, 01:38 AM
Just rent it and decide for yourself. I say fuck Swept Away and The Tuxedo since both are wastes of money, whereas there's a chance you could like Perdition. But I'd probably say fuck Swept Away and the Tuxedo cause it sounds nice :cool:

SWEPT AWAY actually doesn't look that horrible, and I'd rather see it than both ROAD TO PERDITION and THE TUXEDO. But chances are I might just rent all three. I better like ROAD TO PERDITION though or I'll be pretty pissed, and so far chances of me liking it aren't looking so good, since I'm not a fan of the cast, storyline, or gangsta flicks in general.

blankpage
02-22-2003, 08:38 AM
Nothing really interests me this week. I have already seen: Road to Perdition, The Tuxedo, Tuck Everlasting, and Knockaround Guys.

None of them I want to buy, but I may possibly rent Road to Perdition again. I will probably rent some of last week's rentals.

Shockwave
02-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Road to Perdition is the only one for me on that list. It never felt like a mobster flick though, but a movie about fathers and sons.

Id give it a rent at least Mike, its pretty good.

dh1989
02-22-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by idealdiscountdude
The only one that I hope to see this week is Tuck Everlasting. I read the novel years ago and loved it, so I'm curious about it.

The other releases don't interest me at all.

You should like it. It perfectly captures the spirit of the novel, and it is a well-made film all around. I'll be buying it.

P.S. It seems many liked ROAD TO PERDITION. I thought it was a beautiful LOOKING film, with no soul at all.

XCoRyX
02-22-2003, 03:05 PM
i plan on eventually checking out snipes,road to perdition and knockaround guys in the near distant future.

ColinM
02-22-2003, 11:33 PM
I'll probably buy Road to Perdition, but that's it. The Tuxedo was a piece of shit, Knockaround Guys kind of looked like a piece of shit, and I'm not interested in the rest.

ilovemovies
02-23-2003, 08:50 AM
whoops wrong thread.

Nate6
02-23-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm buying the spectacularly good Road to Perdition. A wonderfully shot and told story.

Mike
02-24-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm really freakin' surprised, I actually got Queer As Folk in the mail today already. I didn't pre-order it until Thursday and it wasn't sent off until Friday, yet amazingly, I had it in my mailbox this morning. I'm happy, yet disappointed that I can't watch it yet. I have four more movies that I rented that I have to get watched before I watch anything else, since they are due back on Wednesday.

Anyway, since I'll probably check out Road To Perdition, I may as well give Tuck Everlasting a shot too, and afterall, flowrchild liked it, so I'll trust her on this one.

Raw Chili
02-25-2003, 03:32 PM
I already saw Road to Perdition when it was in the theartre's but I'll check out again, other then that i'm not interested in what's coming out.

Shockwave
02-25-2003, 06:42 PM
At Best Buy u can pick up Road to Perdition and American Beauty together for 20$!!:cool:

Little off topic but cool as hell deal.

Mike
02-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Shockwave
At Best Buy u can pick up Road to Perdition and American Beauty together for 20$!!:cool:

Little off topic but cool as hell deal.

:eek:HOLY SHIT:eek:!!! That's a fucking kick ass deal. I guess they don't call it Best Buy for nothing ;). Wait, is it on VHS or DVD though?

Anyway, I plan on going to the video store tomorrow...

thompsoncory
02-25-2003, 07:27 PM
I will be buying THE TUXEDO and maybe ROAD TO PERDITION because of the Best Buy deal. I want to rent KNOCKAROUND GUYS, I like all of the actors involved a lot. TUCK EVERLASTING was pure shit, one of the worst films of last year.

By the way Mike, SWEPT AWAY isn't as bad as people are saying but it is pretty damn bad. I mean the first 20 minutes suck and then it gets kind of entertaining and then the last 30 minutes are really unbearable. But it was in no way the worst of Madonna (I actually thought the guy was worse than her) or the worst of last year

Mike
02-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by thompsoncory
By the way Mike, SWEPT AWAY isn't as bad as people are saying but it is pretty damn bad. I mean the first 20 minutes suck and then it gets kind of entertaining and then the last 30 minutes are really unbearable. But it was in no way the worst of Madonna (I actually thought the guy was worse than her) or the worst of last year

I think I'm going to rent it tomorrow. I still want to see it, despite some of the bad things I've heard about it. I really like the location where it's filmed. I'm ready for some sun, sand, and Madonna in a bikini ;).

Scarface98.9
02-25-2003, 08:39 PM
Madonna in a bikini ;).
Believe me, her in a bikini in the movie isn't nearly as good as it sounds (if it's good at all)

Mike
02-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Believe me, her in a bikini in the movie isn't nearly as good as it sounds (if it's good at all)

Well, I doubt it's a bad thing ;). I actually think she's an attractive woman. She's a very talented singer, and while she's not the best actress, she's certainly not "that" bad.

PorcheRacer
02-26-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm going to a friend's house on Friday and were going to rent some movies. I'll definatley rent The Rules Of Attraction (10/10) so I can show him and I also plan on renting

Freeway
Evil Dead

And some other horror/party flicks....

Nate6
02-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Well, I doubt it's a bad thing ;).

It is in this case. In Swept Away, Madge looks like a 14-year-old male hockey player. And the movie is absolutely ghastly, totally stupid, contrived, and indecisive. Uck.

Anyway, $20 for RTP and AB? Damn, I want to live in the USA...

SIREN30
02-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Tuck Everlasting ended too soon. It had potential and a couple of good moments. It's worth a rental to see if you agree w/ the consensus.

Mike
02-26-2003, 08:10 PM
I took a trip to the video store today, here's what I rented:

ROAD TO PERDITION
SWEPT AWAY
TUCK EVERLASTING
THE TUXEDO
SIX FEET UNDER: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST
THE EVIL DEAD

I was also going to rent CLERKS, but it was out. And then I was going to rent THE GAME because I haven't seen it yet, but I already had too many movies. Anyway, I also watched the first of six discs for the second season of QUEER AS FOLK. It's really good (duh). Man, I'm going to be pretty busy with the flicks over the next 7 days.

Mike
02-27-2003, 12:08 AM
I watched THE TUXEDO tonight and I actually liked it. It was definitely better than I was expecting and not as bad as I've heard. I found it entertaining. Of course, it helps that I watched it with someone else, therefore I think I might have enjoyed it a little more than if I would have watched it alone. It's always nice to watch comedies with another person, they just usually don't seem as funny alone.

Anyway, it's not a movie I'd watch a bunch of times, but it was pretty entertaining for one viewing.

Grade: 7/10 (B-)

MickeyKnox
02-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Road to Perdition 10/10 one of the best gangster films of all time! Not only is it a great movie but it is a movie that shows us that Tom Hanks can play a not so nice guy in movies! GREAT GREAT FILM BEAUTIFULLY DIRECTED AND WAS MAJORLY JIPPED OF BEST PICTURE BEST ACTOR AND BEST DIRECTOR! This film ranks up there next to Scarface and Miller's Crossing as one of the best gangster film! Absolutely stupendious!

Mike
02-28-2003, 11:34 AM
TUCK EVERLASTING (2002)

WOW! This has to be the biggest surprise of 2002 for me. I honestly didn't think it looked very good and wasn't going to see it, but then I changed my mind, since I like to try and give most movies a chance, unless they look completely horrible anyway. Tuck Everlasting is simply wonderful! It was cute, touching, beautifully shot, and magical. I loved every minute of it. Alexis Bledel was great, and I must say I'm a bigger fan now than I was before. This is a surprisingly excellent fantasy movie. My only real complaint is that it was too short. I think it could have been longer, there's more they could have done with the story.

As is though, Tuck Everlasting is an adorable gem. I'm still amazed at how good it actually was. I'm really glad I decided to give this one a chance.

Grade: 8/10 or B+

mrdeeds
02-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Tuxedo (7.75/10) - As previously mentioned is typical Jackie Chan, but enjoyable nonetheless.

PorcheRacer
02-28-2003, 09:00 PM
At my friend's house we rented The Rules Of Attraction, The Evil Dead and some action flicks and the Bill Murray movie Quick Change and American Beauty. We only watched The Evil Dead (7/10) and The Rules Of Attraction (10/10)

Tonight I rented

Road To Perdition
One Hour Photo
Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn

Horror whore
03-01-2003, 10:26 AM
I just rented a new copy of SWEET HOME ALABAMA because the other DVD was defective, I'll finish that later. I also rented ONE HOUR PHOTO which I will watch tomorrow because I'll be at the movies most of today.

PorcheRacer
03-01-2003, 11:01 AM
I watched Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn this morning and it was great. It was hilarious and gory. The special effects were better in this then in the first one and Bruce Campbell was grooovy!