PDA

View Full Version : Urbania

Mike
02-23-2003, 10:07 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000584ZI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I saw the trailer to this movie a couple of years ago. I remember it sort of caught my interest, but I couldn't quite make out what kind of a movie it was. At first I was thinking it looked like some Urban Legend type horror flick, but then I was thinking it kind of looked like a mindfuck movie. I've seen it at my video store quite a few times, but I've never rented it.

Have any of you guys seen it? Is it any good/worth seeing? What genre is it? What's it about? Any info would be great.

Sad man
02-24-2003, 06:03 AM
No ida.........sorry Mike.:(

Pootie
02-24-2003, 06:25 AM
i was on IMDB looking at random minfuck movies and it reccomended urbania if you liked these other ones.

Mike
02-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Sad man
No ida.........sorry Mike.:(

That's quite alright ;)...

Originally posted by Pootie
i was on IMDB looking at random minfuck movies and it reccomended urbania if you liked these other ones.

Thanks! I'm guessing it's a mindfuck movie then.

Mike
05-28-2003, 02:21 AM
Well, I decided to give it a rent today, I hope I like it...

FeverDog420
05-28-2003, 03:34 AM
I saw it when it was in theatres. It's not really a mind-fuck movie, but it has, if I remember correctly, a suprising ending (which doesn't necessarily mean a shocking plot twist). Some consider it a "gay" movie, since homosexuality is a main plot point, but it was also a main plot point in Kissing Jessica Stein, but nobody really considers that a "gay" film...

Overall, the noirish Urbania reminded me of Positive I.D., an '80s indie movie that nobody but me has ever seen, apparently. So if you like Urbania, Mike, check out Positive I.D. (Anchor Bay put out the DVD).

Mike
05-28-2003, 11:40 AM
I had never heard of Positive I.D., but if I like URBANIA, I'll definitely try to track it down and check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mike
05-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by FeverDog420
I saw it when it was in theatres. It's not really a mind-fuck movie, but it has, if I remember correctly, a suprising ending (which doesn't necessarily mean a shocking plot twist). Some consider it a "gay" movie, since homosexuality is a main plot point, but it was also a main plot point in Kissing Jessica Stein, but nobody really considers that a "gay" film...

Overall, the noirish Urbania reminded me of Positive I.D., an '80s indie movie that nobody but me has ever seen, apparently. So if you like Urbania, Mike, check out Positive I.D. (Anchor Bay put out the DVD).

Well, I just finished watching it a little while ago, and I'd give it no less than a 7/10 (B). I thought it was smart, haunting, and sad.

May I ask though, what did you consider surprising about the ending? Did I miss something? It could just be though that it wasn't surprising to me, since what I figured from the start is what it turned out to be. Oh well though, I didn't need a surprising ending. I actually really liked the very ending, it was, I don't know how to explain it------nice...

However, I think this could be considered a "gay" movie. I think it's a "gay" drama. Of course, now that I think about it, why should it, or any movie for that matter be called a "gay" movie? Movies with straight people aren't called "straight" movies, so I guess movies with gay people shouldn't really be called "gay" movies.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie... I haven't heard anyone else around here mention it though, I highly doubt NOBODY else has seen it. Come on, there's got to be SOMEONE else here that has seen it.

jenna25
05-29-2003, 07:19 PM
I have seen it and I didn't love it, but I did I did like a lot of it. I thought the weird things playing out around him as the truth of what has happened was a very nice touch...all the different twists on urban legends that are happening as he goes on this personal journey. Good movie...I would give it a 6.5/10 :D

FeverDog420
05-29-2003, 11:36 PM
It's been a couple of years since I've seen it, but the main character's motivation seemed ambiguous until the final confrontation with that sleazeball. Like I said, not a twist, but more of a revelatory climax...

...which was strikingly similar to Positive I.D.. I think I gave Urbania "just" a 7/10 because I was reminded of the earlier movie (and Alan Cumming's bizarro performance).

Mike
05-30-2003, 01:21 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6305971862.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Is this the Positive I.D. you were talking about? If so, since I liked Urbania, is it pretty safe to say I'd like this one? If either of my video stores has this one, I'll probably give it a rent. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've never seen it at either of them before, but hopefully they will have it.

FeverDog420
05-30-2003, 01:54 AM
That's the one. If you are considering renting it, be aware that it's ultra low-budget, and it moves a little slow (but it's not boring). The few user comments for it at IMDb (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0093763) are generally positive, if that means anything to you...

Hey, if your store doesn't stock it, then buy it; if you don't want to keep it, I'll buy it from you.