PDA

View Full Version : If Daniel Day Lewis doesnt get an Oscar.....

QuickSilverALA
02-24-2003, 05:23 AM
I seriously have no clue what Im gonna do if hes doesnt get this oscar for his performance as Bill The Butcher...

Fisting Ackbar
02-24-2003, 05:28 AM
QuickSilverALA wrote:
I seriously have no clue what Im gonna do if hes doesnt get this oscar for his performance as Bill The Butcher...

Suggestion: Hunt down the Academy members and kill them one by one

Hannibal21
02-24-2003, 05:39 AM
Daniel Day Lewis will most definitely win best actor at the oscars, there's no doubt about it. There's no way he's going to lose, I'm betting my life on it.

DaMovieMan
02-24-2003, 06:54 AM
I wouldnt bet my life on it.
He definately deserves but Jacko won the Globe and there's the other vet: Micheal Cane. But i can see DDL winning. I just wish he does coz he really really deserves it.

DaMan

Jedi
02-24-2003, 09:35 AM
I will turn the TV off. Coz if he doesn't win they might give the best picture award for Rollerball for a change, later. And I don't want to witness them messing the major awards up.

Scarface98.9
02-24-2003, 09:53 AM
If he loses, I won't be surprised. The Academy loves Jack and Caine

ColinM
02-24-2003, 10:06 AM
I think it all depends on the Screen Actors Guild. If they give it to Daniel Day-Lewis, I think he practically becomes the frontrunner (especially since he just won the BAFTA awards). But if they give it to Jack, he will win.

I think it's down to these two for sure, though. Michael Caine hasn't won Best Actor yet, but many predicted he wouldn't even get nominated, so I think he'll just have to be happy with his nomination. Nicolas Cage and Adrien Brody...no chance.

Raena
02-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Scarface98.9
If he loses, I won't be surprised. The Academy loves Jack and Caine

I tend to agree. Doesn't Jack have like more Oscars than anybody? It would be awesome if Daniel Day won but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Scarface98.9
02-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ColinM
Nicolas Cage and Adrien Brody...no chance.
:(

The Other
02-24-2003, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't say Adrien Brody has no chance, there is a chance he could still win.

I wouldn't say Jack is a lock to win the SAG, they've only been around for 9 years and have never given more than one award to a single person in the movie categories. Each winner is a new winner. They may want to wait more years before doing so.

DaMovieMan
02-24-2003, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't say Adrien Brody has no chance, there is a chance he could still win.

funny, i was going to say that Nic Cage has a chance and that Brody has the least out of all five.
I guess, we'll just have to wait and see but at the end yeah it is between Jackie and Danny...come on SAG!!

DaMan

neco82
02-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Just saw Gangs of New York yesterday.

Daniel Day-Lewis took a character who physically looked like a cartoon (with his Willy Wonka hat and a moustache that reminded me of the bad guy from Dudley Do-Right for some reason) and made him a sinister, frightening individual with a motive who stole the movie from everyone else.

AN AMAZING PERFORMANCE, THIS MAN DESERVES THE OSCAR!!!

But, Jack Nicholson will probably win since the Academy loves him so much. Caine is in the movie that no one saw, Cage will probably never be forgiven for all the crappy action-hero roles he took after his first win and Brody worked on a film whose director is a wanted man for child molestation. That sole fact will probably kill any chances THE PIANIST has with the prude, over-the-hill conservative Academy voters.

Succubus
02-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Okay, this may be considered blasphemy by some, but I don't think that Daniel Day Lewis' performance was that amazing. The guy has proved that he is an incredibly capable actor, but I didn't find him that inspiring. Perhaps it's all down to the fact that I was a little disappointed by Gangs of New York as a whole.

I'm always dubious about previous Best Actor winner being nominated multiple times. It works for some, and a rare bunch the are, but the mere Hollywood mortals rarely get a look in if they've won previously. Examples include Geoffrey Rush (won Best Actor for Shine, was then nominated for two Oscars after that for Shakespeare In Love and Quills, won neither...the first I can understand, although I personally believe he was robbed in 2001), Russell Crowe (nominated back in 2000, won in 2001, nominated again last year and not a bean).

And there always the curse of winning Best Supporting Actress...but that's a whole new thread.

ColinM
02-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by The Other

Eh, maybe not no chance, but my money isn't on him. If he upsets at the SAGs, he could win like Halle did last year. But I'm pretty positive it'll be Jack or Daniel.

Beeblebrox
02-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Hannibal21
There's no way he's going to lose, I'm betting my life on it.

Good idea.

Strider
02-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Daniel Day-Lewis delivered a great performance in "Gangs of the New York", and was really the highlight of the entire film. However, I wouldn't say he deserves this year's Best Actor oscar. In my opinion, Jack Nicholson's performance in "About Schmidt" is very well-deserving of that oscar, and I think this is the actor that should win.

Strider

blankpage
02-24-2003, 04:38 PM
If Daniel Day Lewis doesnt get an Oscar.....

It'll just show the Acedamy are a bunch of hacks, and should piss off.

APzombie
02-24-2003, 04:57 PM
I wonder... How much i would have liked Gangs if D-Day didn't star in it. I think his preformance is def. the films best aspect.

QuickSilverALA
02-24-2003, 04:57 PM
I bet $100 he would win...

rushmore beauty
02-24-2003, 06:27 PM
I KNOW that they will give it to Daniel Day, but I also KNEW they would give Best Picture to Saving Private Ryan, but look what happened. Lots of weird shit happens in the Academy, so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't give it to him. He deserves it the most though. Mesmerising performance.

Shockwave
02-24-2003, 11:39 PM
Im very close to giving up hope on them right now so if Day Lewis does not win itll prob be the last straw.

FoxForce5
02-25-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by QuickSilverALA

I totally and completely agree!

FoxForce5
02-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by QuickSilverALA

I totally and completely agree!

DaMovieMan
02-25-2003, 09:43 AM
I have yet to see About Schmidt, The Pianist and The Quiet American so i dont want to jump to any conclusions.

I just think that none of the actors in the above movies portrayed their characters as well as DDL

DaMan

flowrchild
02-25-2003, 09:46 AM
I have seen all the movies where the actors are nominated for BEST ACTOR, and Daniel Day-Lewis deserves to win by a landslide. I will really be pissed if he doesn't. Perhaps I should get prepared to be pissed...? Damn Academy.

blankpage
02-25-2003, 09:59 AM
DDL does deserve it among them all. Although I thought old Jacko was great. But honestly, he deserves it. I love that performace, he worked so hard. The result was,something amazing.

The Other
02-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by flowrchild
I have seen all the movies where the actors are nominated for BEST ACTOR, and Daniel Day-Lewis deserves to win by a landslide. I will really be pissed if he doesn't. Perhaps I should get prepared to be pissed...? Damn Academy.

Not yet. I'd say he's pretty neck-and-neck with Mr. Nicholson. A SAG win for either should solidify them....though Jack has won 3 Oscars already and they like to spread the wealth. Remember when Russell Crowe won? It was clearly because they did not want to give Tom Hanks his 3rd Best Actor Oscar in just 7 years.

Mr_Jinx
02-26-2003, 07:01 AM
I hope cage wins for ADAPTATION. He was a champ in that and played the role suburb.

and im depressed and angry adaptation didnt get a nod for best pic or director, or editing:(

ColinM
02-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by The Other
Not yet. I'd say he's pretty neck-and-neck with Mr. Nicholson. A SAG win for either should solidify them....though Jack has won 3 Oscars already and they like to spread the wealth. Remember when Russell Crowe won? It was clearly because they did not want to give Tom Hanks his 3rd Best Actor Oscar in just 7 years.

Or because Crowe won the following year undeservedly, but either way, yes you are right. They might give to to Daniel Day-Lewis just because he currently has less Oscars than Jack.

MickeyKnox
02-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Fisting Ackbar
Suggestion: Hunt down the Academy members and kill them one by one

Touche!:cool:

Bill Da Butcher
02-26-2003, 04:46 PM
If he loses I will scream. But he will definitly get it. I loved Gangs of New York. And his character name is my screen name. Even though we have nothing in comen.

max
02-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Daniel Day-Lewis is the best thing about GANGS OF NEW YORK, but that's not saying much. The movie is an honorable failure, at best. It's visually spectacular, but emotionally hollow. Day-Lewis does give the one emotionally touching scene in the movie (the scene where he's draped in a flag talking to DiCaprio) but, for the most part, the script reduces him down to a mere caricature. I also couldn't figure out what accent he was using. If I were to rank the five nominated performances, it would go like this:

1. Michael Caine - a quiet, subtle and deeply moving performance
2. Nicholas Cage - effortlessly inhabits the dual role
3. Adrien Brody - a physical tour de force
4. Jack Nicholson - Jack not overdoing Jack for a change
5. Daniel Day-Lewis - good, but he's been better