View Full Version : 10 Favorite Best Actor Oscar Winners
06-05-2003, 11:09 PM
Nine months have passed since I posted this and my opinion has changed.
But Marlon Brando in ON THE WATERFRONT is clearly the BEST Best Actor winner.
06-06-2003, 07:55 AM
I find it hard doing this because i usually disagree strongly when it comes to the oscars (how the hell liam neeson didn't win best actor for schindler's list in 1993 I'll never know, that was the best male performance EVER!). And daniel day lewis should definately have won for gangs of new york. Anyhooo, i'll play along with your game, however below it i will also type my personal top 10, which is more what i really think, whether they won at the oscars or not.
Just like you The Other, my list is from the most recent winner to the earliest (if the actor has more than one win, they will be ranked by their most recent win):
Denzel Washington in TRAINING DAY (2001)
Kevin Spacey in AMERICAN BEAUTY (1999)
Jack Nicholson in AS GOOD AS IT GETS (1997) & ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST (1975)
Geoffrey Rush in SHINE (1996)
Al Pacino in SCENT OF A WOMAN (1992)
Anthony Hopkins in THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991)
Ben Kingsley in GANDHI (1982)
Robert De Niro in RAGING BULL (1980)
Marlon Brando in THE GODFATHER (1972) & ON THE WATERFRONT (1954)
Sidney Poitier in LILIES OF THE FIELD (1963)
Now here's the proper list of who I think was the best actors EVER! in movie history, ranked in order:
1- Liam Neeson in SCHINDLER'S LIST (1993)
2- Jeremy Irons in LOLITA (1997)
3- Anthony Hopkins in HANNIBAL (2001)
4- Al Pacino in THE GODFATHER (1972)
5- Ben Kingsley in GANDHI (1982)
6- Gary Oldman in BRAM STOKERS DRACULA (1992)
7- Al Pacino in SCARFACE (1983)
8- Ralph Fiennes in SCHINDLER'S LIST (1993)
9- Daniel-Day Lewis in GANGS OF NEW YORK (2002)
10- Robert De Niro in THE DEERHUNTER (1978)
So what do you think? Does my list rock or does it rock? Booya! BING! Whatever. It's good to disagree i think :p
- oodles :)
06-06-2003, 02:43 PM
1. Marlon Brando in ON THE WATERFRONT
2. Gregory Peck in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
3. Jack Nicholson in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST
4. Robert De Niro in RAGING BULL
5. Humphrey Bogart in THE AFRICAN QUEEN
6. Laurence Olivier in HAMLET
7. Marlon Brando in THE GODFATHER
8. Anthony Hopkins in THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
9. Alec Guinness in THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
10. Dustin Hoffman in RAIN MAN
06-06-2003, 05:27 PM
1. Robert DeNiro - Raging Bull
2. Jack Nicholson – One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
3. George C. Scott - Patton
4. Marlon Brando - On the Waterfront
5. Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs
6. Marlon Brando - The Godfather
7. Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
8. F. Murray Abraham - Amadeus
9. Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man
10. Peter Finch - Network
06-06-2003, 05:48 PM
1) Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs
2) Robert De Niro in Raging Bull
3) Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
4) Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird
5) Kevin Spacey in American Beauty
6) Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront
7) Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump
8) Marlon Brando in The Godfather
9) F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus
10) Jack Lemmon in Save the Tiger
Rod Steiger in In the Heat of the Night and Paul Lukas in Watch on the Rhine are runner-ups. I like this list a little better than my other one, but I still have a lot to see...
06-07-2003, 04:32 AM
I bet I'll list one that nobody else thought of:
Jeremy Irons in REVERSAL OF FORTUNE.
Laurence Olivier in HAMLET.
Kevin Spacey in AMERICAN BEAUTY.
Ben Kingsley in GANDHI.
George C Scott in PATTON.
Anthony Hopkins in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.
Jack Nicholson in AS GOOD AS IT GETS.
Gregory Peck in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.
Paul Scofield in A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS.
Gary Cooper in HIGH NOON.
Alec Guinness in BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI.
Robert Donat in GOODBYE MR CHIPS.
okay, I know, I listed 12. Oh well!
06-07-2003, 04:39 PM
In No Order....
Ray Milliand-The Lost Weekend
Fredric March-Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde
James Stewart-The Philadelphia Story
Gary Cooper-High Noon
Gregory Peck-To Kill A Mockinbird
John Wayne-True Grit
Robert De Niro-Raging Bull
Anthony Hopkins-Silence Of The Lambs
Gene Hackman-The French Connection
Jack Nicholson-One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
03-17-2004, 12:58 PM
1. Anthony Hopkins, The Silence of the Lambs
2. Clarke Gable, It Happened One Night
3. Robert Donat, Goodbye Mr. Chips
4. Jack Nicholson, As Good As It Gets
5. Ray Milland, The Lost Weekend
6. Humphrey Bogart, The African Queen
7. Dustin Hoffman, Rain Man
8. James Stewart, The Philadelphia Story
9. Gregory Peck, To Kill a Mockigbird
10. Marlon Brando, The Godfather
03-17-2004, 01:22 PM
1 Gregory Peck, To Kill a Mockingbird
2 Ben Kingsley, Gandhi
3 Kevin Spacey, American Beauty
4 Henry Fonda, On Golden Pond
5 Alec Guiness, The Bridge on the River Kwai
6 Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump
7 Rod Steiger, In the Heat of the Night
8 George C Scott, Patton
9 Peter Finch, Network
10 Clark Gable, It Happened One Night
03-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Marlon Brando in ON THE WATERFRONT
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.