PDA

View Full Version : The Rolling Stones

bob
07-07-2003, 09:31 PM
I bought Hot Rocks 1964-1971 a while ago, and I dug it a lot, but I had always thought of the Stones as more of a "All I need is the Hits" band. Well, I proved myself wrong while listening to some of my Dad's Stones LPs, and I decided to buy some of their albums. Currently, my "starting list" is this:

Exile on Main Street
Aftermath (UK)
Between the Buttons (UK)
Beggar's Banquet
Tattoo You
Sticky Fingers

Can any big Rolling Stones fans give me any recommend or...un-recommend any of these discs?

MikeyB
07-07-2003, 10:04 PM
All of the albums you've listed so far are definitely worth owning, but I would also add Let It Bleed, Goat's Head Soup, Some Girls, and, even though it was a live album, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out.

chandler_bing905
07-07-2003, 10:44 PM
goin to see them on the 30th in toronto, can't wait

John Dark
07-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by bob
Can any big Rolling Stones fans give me any recommend or...un-recommend any of these discs?

Get any/all of these. They are all 4.5-5 star albums. You can't really go wrong.

Exile on Main Street
Beggar's Banquet
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Let It Bleed
Tattoo You
Aftermath (UK)
Between the Buttons (UK)

PapaJupe2k
07-08-2003, 01:56 AM
Cool, a Stones thread.:) I've saw them twice in concert '94 and was just blown away!

Some of my favorite studio albums are as follows:

Goats Head Soup: fav songs: Heartbreaker, Angie, Star Star, Dancing with Mr. Dee

Some Girls: fav songs: Miss You, Far Away Eyes, Before They Make Me Run (Keith on vocals), Shattered

Sticky Fingers: fav songs: Brown Sugar, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sister Morphine, Bitch

Their Satanic Majesties Request: fav songs: 2,000 Man, She's A Rainbow, 2,000 Light Years From Home. This was a very different Stones album, and I really dug it, maybe my all time favorite studio effort.

I never really understood why everybody always praised Exile On Main Street, it was good, but I'd say middle of the road for the Stones.

bedhead_dl
07-08-2003, 01:19 PM
I kinda grew up with the stones on all the time thanks to my dad.

But I never really started to like them as anything other than a band my dad likes until I listened to the best of "40 Licks" when we got him it for Christmas last year.

They were a really awsome band but I dunno if I should get some more albums if I have "40 Licks".

What I'm trying to say is: Are the songs on 40 Licks really the pick of the crop, or are there better ones?

Also - are there any accoustic/soft rock kind of Stones' albums about and if so are they any good? I like their accoustic stuff better personally.

Cheers.

Benny
07-10-2003, 08:47 AM
I bought "Exile on Main St." on vinyl recently and I love it. Great rock and roll right there. I also have Hot Rocks on CD and Let it Bleed on vinyl.

Top 10 Stones Songs:

1. Brown Sugar
2. Sympathy for the Devil
3. Midnight Rambler (live version)
4. Gimme Shelter
5. Rocks Off
6. Start Me Up
7. Tumbling Dice
8. Paint it Black
9. Let's Spend the Night Together
10. You Can't Always Get What You Want

Shatter
07-10-2003, 09:04 AM
I didn't like The Rolling Stones much until I heard "Out of Tears" when I was in H.S. but now "Start Me Up" is one of my favorite songs.

Haddonfield
07-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Not a huge Stones fan but Exile is a fantastic album. Torn and Frayed is a fantastic song.

James Logan
07-10-2003, 11:48 AM
I got the 40 Licks best-of and it kicks ass, imo. Might buy some albums.

bedhead_dl
07-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by bedhead_dl
What I'm trying to say is: Are the songs on 40 Licks really the pick of the crop, or are there better ones?

Also - are there any accoustic/soft rock kind of Stones' albums about and if so are they any good? I like their accoustic stuff better personally.

Cheers.

I think we should answer this good looking schmoe's question.

bob
07-10-2003, 08:41 PM
I think we should answer this good looking schmoe's question.

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening...I was lost in your eyes.

Clarkey07
07-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by chandler_bing905
goin to see them on the 30th in toronto, can't wait

me too

and half of Toronto

bob
07-11-2003, 06:40 PM
In case anyone cares, I've decided to swap Tattoo You with Let it Bleed.

QUENTIN
07-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Sticky Fingers is one of my top 10 albums of all-time, that wonderful and rare occurence when every song is excellent and it all blends together so well. It has 4 of my 5 favorite Stones songs (Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking?, Sister Morphine, and Moonlight Mile), so that's the definite topper for me. But the albums released right before and right after Fingers, Let It Bleed and Exile On Main Street are bonafide classics as well. Start with those three, rent Gimme Shelter, then slowly move to Beggar's Banquet, Get Yer Ya-Yas Out, Black & Blue, Between The Buttons, and their best live album, Flashpoint... and call me in the morning.

bob
07-11-2003, 10:25 PM
I've already rented Gimme Shelter (that's what drove me to listen to my Dad's Stones albums). I liked it a lot, except for the part where they all sat around listening to Wild Horses, because I detest that song.

bedhead_dl
07-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bob
I'm sorry, I wasn't listening...I was lost in your eyes.

Well lose yourself in my question!

Please?

Pity me...

bob
07-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Well lose yourself in my question!

Please?

Pity me...

I'm sorry to post back again without answering your question, but that made me laugh so hard I almost wet myself. Keep up the good work, bedhead!

cheech
07-16-2003, 05:47 AM
I saw them in Copenhagen four days ago... Hells Angels were beating up the crowd with pool cues... no, wait...

It was awsome by the way!

PapaJupe2k
07-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Happy 60th for Mick! I listened to the House Of Blues tribute to the Stones, great stuff!