PDA

View Full Version : 999 (or 911)

bedhead_dl
07-18-2003, 05:26 PM
This may sound like a strange question but has anybody on this board ever had to dial 999 or 911 or whatever you emergency service number is?

I just need to know what they ask and when and in what manner they talk.

Fortunately I haven't had to ring the emergency service so I don't really know.

If anybody has any kind of information about this here then that'd be a great help.

Thanks.

XvoorheesX
07-18-2003, 11:00 PM
It's been a while since someone tried to break into my house (which is good, I guess), so I don't remember to well...
Something like..

Hello, 911
What kind of assistance would you need: Police, Ambulence, Fire, etc.

Probably watch cops or one of those "911 rescues" shows.

UNusual_Suspect
07-19-2003, 12:08 AM
They generally say something like this:

"911, what's your emergency?"

And then you tell them your rehearsed story about how your parents abused you and then you killed them with a shotgun. Or something like that.

Oh, and just so you know, they don't say "Nine-Eleven," they say "Nine One One."

James Logan
07-19-2003, 01:03 PM
There's a whole bunch of movies in which people call 911. Just try getting a few, watch those particular scenes, and then write yours so it sounds realistic enough.

AxeDamn
07-20-2003, 07:55 AM
I think they cut it real quick. Somethin' like

999 Emergency, Fire, Ambulance or Police services?

bedhead_dl
07-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by James Logan
There's a whole bunch of movies in which people call 911. Just try getting a few, watch those particular scenes, and then write yours so it sounds realistic enough.

*sigh* I tried taking the easy way out...ah well...to video shop I go!

I think they cut it real quick. Somethin' like

999 Emergency, Fire, Ambulance or Police services?

That's what I've got so far, it's just where to go from there is where I'm stuck. This is what I've got so far.

PHONE VOICE #1 (OS)
(on the other end of phone)
Which emergency service please?

AID
Police.

PHONE VOICE #2 (OS)
This is the police department what is your
emergency?

Then Aid tells them his emergency...then what?

Thanks all for the help. Apreciated.

Scottish batman
07-20-2003, 11:55 AM
they tri to keep you on the phone for as long as possible so the they know whats going on the ask you address along with your name and they also ask about your situation not just abulince police or firepeople.

so you want to go with

911 operater:911 please state your emergency

AID: whatever the hell i say

911 operater: ok may i have you address please

AID: 123 fake street

911 operater: a squad car is on the way now revew the situation again...

NobodySpecial
07-20-2003, 03:46 PM
I was under the impression that police knew where you were calling as soon as the call goes through, such that you don't have to tell them the address. That was my understanding, though I could be wrong.

What's the context of the scene you're trying to write?

bedhead_dl
07-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Thanks Batman that sounds good. (Wow, never thought I'd be saying that)

Originally posted by NobodySpecial
What's the context of the scene you're trying to write?

Well a husband (Aid) is trying to report a masacre in his house...his wife and sister are dead. A little OTT I know but it fits the piece nicely.

NobodySpecial
07-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by bedhead_dl
Well a husband (Aid) is trying to report a masacre in his house...his wife and sister are dead. A little OTT I know but it fits the piece nicely.
Well, off the top of my head I'd question whether you really need to the phone call at all, but if you did think about what you're trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to convey Aid's emotional state or are you trying to inform the audience about what happened?

You would approach the conversation in different ways depending on what your goal is for the scene.

In general, I'd say leave off the address and get right into your goal. You don't need the entire conversation, I'd imagine, so as long as you cut while he's still on the phone the audience won't question how they got the address (if they'd do that anyway).

Beeblebrox
07-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by NobodySpecial
Well, off the top of my head I'd question whether you really need to the phone call at all, but if you did think about what you're trying to accomplish.

I totally agree (oh god, more ass kissing ;)).

It really depends on what you're trying to do in the scene. In any case, I can't really see how the operator's voice is important at all. We all know what they're saying, generally speaking.

Either skip the call altogether or use it to show his emotional state. Have him screaming into the phone at whoever it is. We don't need to hear the other side of it.

bedhead_dl
07-20-2003, 04:44 PM
Are you trying to convey Aid's emotional state or are you trying to inform the audience about what happened?

Aid's emotional state...definately.

I would just like to see what a real phone call would be like and then I'd change it from there accordingly.

This all helping though, thanks again.