PDA

View Full Version : Braveheart or Gladiator

Costanza
08-04-2003, 01:41 AM
Which one you like better. I prefer Braveheart. Hated Gladiator.

DeadSkinMask
08-04-2003, 02:00 AM
Both movies are great, but i would have to go with braveheart. The action and story were much better. One of Mel Gibson's best.

darkface
08-04-2003, 02:03 AM
Both were Tremendously great, but if it had to come down to it, i'd go with Gladiator.

Ren Hoek
08-04-2003, 02:10 AM
GLADIATOR (8/10) by far. I didn't like BRAVEHEART (5/10) at all!

ilovemovies
08-04-2003, 02:11 AM
I LOVE both films but if I had to pick then Gladiator I guess but only by a hair.

Chippie
08-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Both great movies..
But i'm going with Braveheart.

Strider
08-04-2003, 02:36 AM
I think both are excellent films, but if I had to choose, I'd go with "Gladiator". Quite a hard choice though....

Strider

Annie Hall
08-04-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by RenHoek
GLADIATOR (8/10) by far. I didn't like BRAVEHEART (5/10) at all!

My thoughts exactly...except...Braveheart (10/10) by far. I didn't really like Gladiator (7/10) as much as most everyone else. ;)

chasingbanky
08-04-2003, 03:51 AM
How shocking that this many people think gladiator is better...I mean People say braveheart is the greatest movie ever or at least top 5...I guess im gonna go wit Braveheart ...I only liked things about gladiator not so much the whole thing

Nachokoolaid
08-04-2003, 04:10 AM
I like both of these movies, they are both in my top 20 but...
Braveheart is #2 and
Gladiator is barely there at #20.

In fact if I updated my Top 20, Gladiator might get bumped. Braveheart is superior in every way. But Gladiator does have great performances from Richard Harris and Joaquin Pheonix. Crowe is ok too. But Braveheart is what epic filmmaking is about.

Oh, and Costanza, welcome to the boards and Joblo.com. Enjoy yourself.

Jedi
08-04-2003, 04:19 AM
Gladiator (9/10)
Braveheart (9/10)

Love them both!

Cosimo
08-04-2003, 07:03 AM
Both hugely overrated imo

Gladiator (6/10)
Braveheart (6/10)

QUENTIN
08-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Braveheart (9/10), one of the best epics of the 90's (Brits seem to do these films better: Lean, Attenborough, Gibson) is much much better than the incredibly overrated Gladiator (5/10). One is a great movie, the other is no different than any other standard summer action flick, and I'm not sure how it got mistaken for something grander.

EvilDeadGirl
08-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Thats a difficult decision as I loved both of these films. I've them both on DVD and watch em at least once a month. But seeing as how I have to choose one I'd go with Braveheart for the fantastic battle scenes. Those blew me away.

randythetool
08-04-2003, 08:37 AM
BRAVEHEART is good, not great. GLADIATOR is bad, not good.

Lesser of two evils.

Brock-Landers
08-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Gladiator - 4/10
Braveheart - 8/10

Puck Bond
08-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Both are great and the best films of their respective year...but I give the edge to...

Braveheart(1995)-10/10
Gladiator(2000)-10/10

Scooter
08-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Braveheart is slightly better IMO

ToRontoRon
08-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Is this a joke poll? I'm sorry, But Braveheart is WAY better than Braveheart II, otherwise known as Gladiator. Braveheart is one of my top two favourite movies of all time. It has great action, great emotion, and great characters; in particular Robert the Bruce, who in many ways is similar to William Wallace, but the main difference being he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. The moral conflict he goes through throughout the film is a great added element. Also, Gibson is great as Wallace and Patrick McGoohan is delightfully evil as Edward the Longshanks.

As for Gladiator, it is a COMPLETE RIP-OFF of Braveheart. Watch the two movies back to back, you'll see what I mean. From the character turning bad ass because his loved ones are murdered, to the actual choreography of the fight scenes, I probably noticed honestly about 25 ways it ripped off Braveheart. Russell Crowe winning an oscar for best actor for his role in this is laughable. Best acting? He had one single emotion and one facial expression the whole time, namely ticked off. How do you win best actor for displaying one single emotion in a 5 hour, (at least it felt that way), movie? Joaquin Phoenix' performance is the only thing worth seeing in this movie. I honestly think Gladiator is the most overrated movie of all time.

therealjohng
08-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by ToRontoRon
Is this a joke poll? I'm sorry, But Braveheart is WAY better than Braveheart II, otherwise known as Gladiator. Braveheart is one of my top two favourite movies of all time. It has great action, great emotion, and great characters; in particular Robert the Bruce, who in many ways is similar to William Wallace, but the main difference being he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. The moral conflict he goes through throughout the film is a great added element. Also, Gibson is great as Wallace and Patrick McGoohan is delightfully evil as Edward the Longshanks.

As for Gladiator, it is a COMPLETE RIP-OFF of Braveheart. Watch the two movies back to back, you'll see what I mean. From the character turning bad ass because his loved ones are murdered, to the actual choreography of the fight scenes, I probably noticed honestly about 25 ways it ripped off Braveheart. Russell Crowe winning an oscar for best actor for his role in this is laughable. Best acting? He had one single emotion and one facial expression the whole time, namely ticked off. How do you win best actor for displaying one single emotion in a 5 hour, (at least it felt that way), movie? Joaquin Phoenix' performance is the only thing worth seeing in this movie. I honestly think Gladiator is the most overrated movie of all time.

I'd like to hear them. The 25 ways that Gladiator ripped off Braveheart.

By the way, Gladiator is way better than Braveheart.

QUENTIN
08-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by therealjohng

Since he'll be defending Braveheart, I'd like to hear a defense of Gladiator. I want to hear why Gladiator is way better.

James Logan
08-04-2003, 01:46 PM
I loved both, but you know my answer. ;)

Ripper1888
08-04-2003, 02:18 PM
In My Opinion

Bravehart 9/10 is the far superior film and is actually deserving of the awards that it won where as Gladiator 4/10 is easily the worst film to ever win the oscar and is proof along with another Russel Crowe[A Beautiful Mind] film that that the oscars are crap anyway.

therealjohng
08-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by QUENTIN
Since he'll be defending Braveheart, I'd like to hear a defense of Gladiator. I want to hear why Gladiator is way better.

There's better acting in Gladiator. Jaoqin Phoenix and Connie Nielson are superb. Especially Phoenix. Ridley Scott's direction is commanding. He thrusts you right into battle. The score is a lot better. It's thunderous when needed and its quiet and mysterious in the slower scenes. It's almost like another actor in the movie. It's vision is almost dreamlike, like you're watching a nightmare. The battle scenes are a lot more intense and interesting to watch. The lighting and the cinematography set a great mood for the story. The story is more interesting than that of Braveheart's.

therealjohng
08-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by QUENTIN

There's better acting in Gladiator. Jaoqin Phoenix and Connie Nielson are superb. Especially Phoenix. Ridley Scott's direction is commanding. He thrusts you right into battle. The score is a lot better. It's thunderous when needed and its quiet and mysterious in the slower scenes. It's almost like another actor in the movie. It's vision is almost dreamlike, like you're watching a nightmare. The battle scenes are a lot more intense and interesting to watch. The lighting and the cinematography set a great mood for the story. The story is more interesting than that of Braveheart's.

Gladiator - 9/10
Braveheart - 7/10

yeah, sorry double post.

Clarkey07
08-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Braveheart is slighty better.

Hannibal21
08-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Braveheart (5/10) is a bad movie, Gladiator (4/10) is an awful movie.

Braveheart is the lesser of the two evils...

Jules Winnfield
08-04-2003, 03:40 PM
I think Gladiator is a great movie, despite the fact that it took too many Oscars. The two are beautifully directed, but Gladiator wins in my opinion, because of Joaquin Phoenix.

ANavissi500
08-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Not even a contest for me. I dont like Russell Crowe at all. Braveheart wins by a mile.

Costanza
08-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Gladiator was over long and boring, Braveheart flew by. Also I doubt an Emperor would ever fight a gladiator like in the movie. The script was awful and so was the acting. Bravehearts acting and script were amazing.

Scarface98.9
08-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Braveheart, though I haven't seen either for quite some time

SuperSoulMan
08-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Braveheart-I liked the epic feeling of it.

Braveheart-9/10
Gladiator-8/10

jmcpher_007
08-04-2003, 06:20 PM
As a personal preference I'll side with Gladiator. I thought Crowe's performance was superb (not to mention the great supporting role of Phoenix). I'm not a huge fan of Mel Gibson as he can be a real ham at times and I've seen Braveheart so many times on TBS and elsewhere that it has lost much of its impact on me. Gladiator, however, has retained more of an epic feel even after repeat viewings. Although Gladiator's ending is somewhat illogical, I found the film to be much more enjoyable.

ColinM
08-04-2003, 10:46 PM
I think poor Gladiator (8/10) gets a bad rap; if it hadn't won Best Picture people would like it a whole lot more. I thought it was a very good movie, even if it still didn't deserve that award.

Braveheart (9/10) is still far better, though.

ToRontoRon
08-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by therealjohng
I'd like to hear them. The 25 ways that Gladiator ripped off Braveheart.

That would mean I'd actually have to sit through the movie again to see exactly when it rips it off, and I really don't want to do that.

But my brother-in-law has the movie, and maybe I will borrow it and list the MANY rip-offs in it. I think you'll be surprised. I'd probably rather spend three hours in the dentist's chair than watch Gladiator again, but if it will help to expose this movie for what it is, it will be worth it.

Hucksta G
08-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Gladiator (10/10)
Braveheart (9/10)

sarah1980
08-05-2003, 12:32 AM
I pick both

Schatten
08-05-2003, 02:38 AM
Definitely Bravheart.

kombat ki
08-05-2003, 02:51 AM
both movies had thier moments yet i liked gladiator alot more

oodles
08-05-2003, 07:21 AM
Well being Scottish i'll go with braveheart. Gladiator is good aswell though. Both in my top 10.

braveheart - 9/10
gladiator - 9/10

later alligators,

- oodles :)

BadCoverVersion
08-05-2003, 07:28 AM
Braveheart (8/10)

Gibson's accent was fucking bobbins though.

kombat ki
08-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by moviefreak1980
I pick both

wait, can you do that??!!!

NOOOO lol pick 1

Jasonite
08-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Costanza
Which one you like better. I prefer Braveheart. Hated Gladiator.

Ditto here!

J