PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen TV Question

darkface
08-12-2003, 01:45 AM
My mom just got a 40,000 check, and is buying a 65"inch widescreen HDTV and i was wondering, if you were to play a regular VHS on there, you know how it's fullscreen? well, since it's a wide-screen tv, would it show a vhs tape in a widescreen format now? Cause i know they say that it fits the size of your screen, so does that mean since it's now a widescreen tv, would it now show more of the picture? Just curious.
Hope you understand what i'm trying to say.

and btw, i'm in Vegas Right now just visiting, i'm here for 3 weeks, ... and while i'm here i get to set up her surround sound, sub, cd player, speakers, the whole 9 yards... but it'll be tite, and the pay-off will be when i watch The Matrix on there :)

Neesh
08-12-2003, 03:00 AM
Hmmm ..... why dont you fly me out there, and I'll sort this home theatre stuff out for you. :)
But to answer your question...... if youre watching a full-screen DVD (or VHS tape) on a widescreen TV, youre not going to get extra material on the sides. If you view the DVD or tape properly, you will see black bars on the right and left sides of the picture, so that the image on the screen is what would fit into your normal TV ( a 4:3 aspect ratio).

But this tends to annoy most people, so they end up zooming in the picture, so that it fills the screen from left to right.... but then parts of the top and bottom get cut off. Your widescreen TV will have several different viewing modes... if you dont wanna watch a movie that has parts of the top & bottom cut off, then you can opt to stretch the picture from left to right.... yes, owning a widescreen monitor will bring up other widescreen/fullscreen, aspect ratio and blackbar dilemas.

65", man, thats huge. Just make sure youre sitting about 15' or more away from it when youre watching a DVD, or it might not look all that clear.

Enjoy.
PS- its almost sacrilege to display something as low-res as a VHS tape on a 65" HD monitor....

hate m all
08-12-2003, 05:47 AM
why would you ever wanna hook up a prehistoric vhs to such a screen?
picture is gonna be pretty bad

darkface
08-14-2003, 12:28 AM
because my step-dad loves to watch movies also, and he has TONS of VHS tapes, including his favs Indiana Jones, which is still on VHS. So i was just curious. I was also trying to explain to him what widescreen was etc, and how much better it is. But i agree with you lol "putting a VHS on a 65" is pretty dull" lol.

therealjohng
08-14-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Neesh
Hmmm ..... why dont you fly me out there, and I'll sort this home theatre stuff out for you. :)
But to answer your question...... if youre watching a full-screen DVD (or VHS tape) on a widescreen TV, youre not going to get extra material on the sides. If you view the DVD or tape properly, you will see black bars on the right and left sides of the picture, so that the image on the screen is what would fit into your normal TV ( a 4:3 aspect ratio).

That's only if the tape is anamorphically encoded. And the last time I checked they weren't. I think it streches the image out.

Neesh
08-15-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by therealjohng
That's only if the tape is anamorphically encoded. And the last time I checked they weren't. I think it streches the image out.

Huh? I'm afraid I'm not following what youre saying....
If by "tapes", you mean VHS tapes, they are not anamorphically encoded... thats something that is done on DVDs.
And DVDs that are full screen are not anamorphically encoded, thats a feature used for some widescreen DVDs.

darkface
08-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Neesh
Huh? I'm afraid I'm not following what youre saying....
If by "tapes", you mean VHS tapes, they are not anamorphically encoded... thats something that is done on DVDs.
And DVDs that are full screen are not anamorphically encoded, thats a feature used for some widescreen DVDs.

I've gone cross-eyed!

therealjohng
08-15-2003, 07:32 AM
I coulda swore I heard somewhere that when DVDs are announced that they say "The dvd will come with anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen versions". Meaning that the fullscreen image will be streched to fit the entire TV. If it was fullscreen anamorphic then there would be the black bars on the right and left sides.

Hmmm, that's news to me.....

The Locnar
08-15-2003, 03:20 PM
First of all, I hope they're getting a Plasma. It sounds like they aren't since it's 65". If she got a check for $40,000 then they can afford a Plasma. The pic quality is WAY better than regular rear projection even in HD mode. Are they getting a TV that comes with the encoder already built in? Most of them don't ya know.

HD tv's with the different viewing modes should also have a feature that allows you to size the image to the screen so you will get a stretched 4:3 image but the stretching is minimal. It's only noticeable if you have a closeup of someone's face. When Conan O' Brien has the camera zoom in on his face, it's pretty damn scary with the widescreen. He's already got a freakish lookin noggin.

Things to look out for on a rear proj TV: What kind of lead time does the screen have before burn-in sets in? Also, try to get one with a DVI input.

Slim
08-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by The Locnar
First of all, I hope they're getting a Plasma. It sounds like they aren't since it's 65". If she got a check for $40,000 then they can afford a Plasma. The pic quality is WAY better than regular rear projection even in HD mode. Are they getting a TV that comes with the encoder already built in? Most of them don't ya know.

HD tv's with the different viewing modes should also have a feature that allows you to size the image to the screen so you will get a stretched 4:3 image but the stretching is minimal. It's only noticeable if you have a closeup of someone's face. When Conan O' Brien has the camera zoom in on his face, it's pretty damn scary with the widescreen. He's already got a freakish lookin noggin.

Darn. I was going to type that. Locnar speaks the truth, gotta love those plasma TVs.

Neesh
08-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by therealjohng
I coulda swore I heard somewhere that when DVDs are announced that they say "The dvd will come with anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen versions". Meaning that the fullscreen image will be streched to fit the entire TV. If it was fullscreen anamorphic then there would be the black bars on the right and left sides.

G, you've gotten some misinformation somewhere. Theres no such thing as "anamorphic fullscreen". Anamorphic is a process used when making widescreen DVDs, so that the native resolution of the DVD can match that of a widescreen monitor, therefore giving you the best possible picture quality. Do some web searches on this subject, and you'll get more informative answers than I can give you.

Neesh
08-15-2003, 08:38 PM
First of all, I hope they're getting a Plasma. It sounds like they aren't since it's 65". If she got a check for $40,000 then they can afford a Plasma.

The biggest plasma available is a 61", and its made by NEC. It's HD, with a native resolution of 1365x768. I've actually seen a VHS tape played on one of these, and man, was it HORRIBLE. VHS tapes are obviously low res, with about 250 horizontal lines... so when it gets scaled up to 768 horizontal lines, the picture just looks like shit. Thats why good external video scalers cost $20,000....
HD tv's with the different viewing modes should also have a feature that allows you to size the image to the screen so you will get a stretched 4:3 image but the stretching is minimal. It's only noticeable if you have a closeup of someone's face.

The stretching modes on most (if not all) widescreen monitors (plasma or otherwise) work like this: say youre watching a full screen DVD, or a TV show. The stuff in the middle of the picture is only slightly stretched, but the stuff on the sides is stretched even more. Since most of the action is usually in the middle of your screen, usually its liveable.... (I personally hate watching anything stretched....)
Things to look out for on a rear proj TV: What kind of lead time does the screen have before burn-in sets in? Also, try to get one with a DVI input.

On rear projection monitors, the burn-in problems arent nearly as bad as they are on a plasma. If you leave a still image on a plasma for say, an hour, then turn the plasma off, you'll still see the image "burned in". Gotta be REAL careful about that. It can also be a problem having the "black bars" on the sides (if youre watching fullscreen stuff)... when you turn the plasma off, you'll see the bars burned in. To be honest, watching full screen stuff on any widescreen monitor sucks....

Some other things to consider when putting this system together. Will you be watching mostly DVDs, TV, VHS tapes, playing Playstation, etc... HD monitors are only of any benefit if youre watching HD material on it, and you only get HD material on certain TV, cable, and satellite channels. I personally dont watch any TV, the only thing I care about is seeing movies in THE best possible quality. I own a Panasonic TH-37PWD5UZ plasma, which has a native resolution of 480x852. Thats the same resolution as DVDs, which are non HD. This way, theres no scaling done on the image whatsoever. Also, I saved a little money getting a non HD plasma. FYI, I use a Panasonic DVD-RP91 DVD player, and that combination produces an absolutely stunning picture. :p

Have fun

TheGodSon
08-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Anamorphic (widescreen) just means that the dvd is 16 X 9 compatible. I.E. - a widescreen tv. Therefore - the dvd would fill the wide - screen. :D :D

darkface
08-17-2003, 02:22 AM
Interesting, thx for the replies though, it gave me more information on the subject which was at the least what i was looking for.

hate m all
08-17-2003, 02:57 AM
what?????
so you're saying a 2.35 anamorpic will fill the screen?????
better look at it again m8, no such thing.

Neesh
08-17-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by hate m all
what?????
so you're saying a 2.35 anamorpic will fill the screen?????
better look at it again m8, no such thing.

It will fill the screen on the horizontal axis, but not the vertical.