PDA

View Full Version : Most Effective PERSONAL Scenes?

BadCoverVersion
08-18-2003, 03:50 PM
You almost feel like a spare part if you know what I mean...you just SHOULDN'T be watching this.

I'm NOT strictly talking about the obvious...Irreversible being a prime example.

Perhaps it's a tender, private moment, a scene in which you feel voyeuristic...a look, or an action or just the general situation. Now, don't get me wrong...I LOVE these scenes, I just feel compelled to respectfully shy away at points.

Okay, some examples...

Don't Look Now - Perhaps the most intimate love scene ever caught on film...just the way Laura (Julie Christie) and John (Donald Sutherland) stoke each other's thighs, torso and nape of the neck...it makes me feel like a bloody Peeping Tom.

Boogie Nights - Scotty (Philip Seymour Hoffman) berating himself in the car..."I'm a fuckin' idiot! I'm a fuckin' idiot! Fuckin' idiot, fuckin' idiot, fuckin' idiot..." He's a man scorned, and the hurt and the humiliation hangs on his every word...give him some bastard privacy folks.

Secrets & Lies - Maurice (Timothy Spall) breaks down before the family...and I feel completely intrusive witnessing his heartfelt tirade and the pain etched in his face.

The War Zone - A strange scene, and not an entirely obvious one. Tom (Freddie Cunliffe) is sat on the bed, he suddenly batters his hand across his mouth and makes what I can only describe as a silent Red Indian chant. It just seems like an intensely private gesture for some reason...and yep, I tend to avert my eyes once again (not for the first time here mind).

So, just a few examples, now post your own selections folks...

Annie Hall
08-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Dancer in the Dark ~ When the prison guard comforts Selma

Billy Eliot ~ When he reads the letter from his mother

What's Eating Gilbert Grape ~ The burning house

The Elephant Man ~ John Merrick's final scene

Just off the top of my head

Scarface98.9
08-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Michael Corleone walking on the gravel at the end in The Godfather.

Sara explaining to her son why she wants to be on TV in Requiem for a Dream.

The scene where Angela reveals she's a virgin in American Beauty.

zeppelin
08-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Most of Breaking the Waves. I loved the movie so much, but throughout just about the whole thing, I felt uncomfortable watching it, like I was invading Bess's privacy. True, she's not even a real person, but with Emily Watson's brilliant performance, she seemed pretty darn real to me.

Also, several scenes in Taxi Driver. That might be considered "obvious" though...

Hannibal21
08-18-2003, 08:37 PM
Young Charles Foster Kane is about to leave his parents and live a rich life with Mr. Thatcher, there's just that sad look in his eyes as his mother holds him in CITIZEN KANE, and also the end of the movie.

Many scenes in IN THE BEDROOM.

Carrie's first 'period' in CARRIE.

SLAW
08-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Oooh, that scene in HAPPINESS where the Dad Pedophile waits for the drug he put in his son's friend's sandwich to take effect. The kid says something like, I'm not really hungry, can I save it for tomorrow, and the Dad replies something like, but I spent a bit of time making it for you to eat now. And the boy eats the sandwich. *cringes* Oddly enough, I liked the movie for making me feel this way.

notchreturns
08-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Off the top of my head:

Punch-Drunk Love - Sandler destroying the bathroom. Quite the funny, yet heartbreaking scene.

Five Easy Pieces - Jack's final scene in the gas station bathroom. Brillant acting on his part.

Say Anything - "In Your Eyes"...

Persona - Many scenes, though the very erotic and personal story of one of the ladies comes to mind.

Dead Man Walking - The final 20 minutes or so...

Hucksta G
08-19-2003, 12:02 AM
Raging Bull - Jake in the prison cell punching the wall

The Lolo
08-19-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
Secrets & Lies - Maurice (Timothy Spall) breaks down before the family...and I feel completely intrusive witnessing his heartfelt tirade and the pain etched in his face

Everytime I watch the "It's Not Your Fault" scene in Good Will Hunting I get the same intrusive feeling.

zeppelin
08-19-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by SLAW
Oooh, that scene in HAPPINESS where the Dad Pedophile waits for the drug he put in his son's friend's sandwich to take effect. The kid says something like, I'm not really hungry, can I save it for tomorrow, and the Dad replies something like, but I spent a bit of time making it for you to eat now. And the boy eats the sandwich. *cringes* Oddly enough, I liked the movie for making me feel this way.

Not to mention Philip Seymour Hoffman ejaculating onto a wall...hell, basically the whole movie gave me that kind of feeling.

Could Be Worse
08-19-2003, 11:35 PM
The "requiem" in Requiem For a Dream. The least proud moments of these people's lives.

Igby and Sookie on opposit sides of the door in Igby Goes Down.