View Full Version : Anthony Hopkins vs. Anthony Perkins

08-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Although Sir Hopkins has the more extensive (and classier) acting resume, I always found Perkins to be a more interesting and underrated actor, showing great restraint in roles that the similar psycho-playing Hopkins has taken over-the-top.

1. Dr. Hannibal Lecter in THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
2. Mr. Stevens in THE REMAINS OF THE DAY
3. Richard M. Nixon in NIXON
4. William Parrish in MEET JOE BLACK
5. Henry Wilcox in HOWARD’S END
6. Bill Hooper in THE GOOD FATHER
7. Dr. Frederick Treves in THE ELEPHANT MAN
8. C.S. Lewis in SHADOWLANDS
9. Corky/Fats in MAGIC
10. John McCleod in JUGGERNAUT

I thought Hopkins deserved better than his roles in the mediocre films DESPERATE HOURS, HEARTS IN ATLANTIS and Francis Ford Coppola’s (not Bram Stoker’s) DRACULA, he was over-the-top in LEGENDS OF THE FALL, and miscast/awkward in THE LION IN WINTER. I have not yet seen INSTINCT, THE EDGE, SURVIVING PICASSO, TITUS, BAD COMPANY, THE MASK OF ZORRO, CHAPLIN, FREEJACK or AUDREY ROSE. None of them really interest me.

1. Norman Bates in PSYCHO
2. Lt. Peter Holmes in ON THE BEACH
3. Jimmy Piersall in FEAR STRIKES OUT
5. Dr. Henry Jekyll and Jack “The Ripper” Hyde in EDGE OF SANITY

Tony was even fun in such campy fare as I'M DANGEROUS TONIGHT, CRIMES OF PASSION and THE BLACK HOLE. I have not yet seen THE TIN STAR or DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, and I can’t wait to locate PRETTY POISON on video/DVD.

08-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Anthony Perkins is definitely a great and extremely underrated actor. But I do prefer Anthony Hopkins, who never fails to impress me in all of his films. One of the greats working today.

Both excellent, though.

08-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Both great actors anad both created two of the most scary characters in horror film history but I have to go with Norman Bates himself,Anthony Perkins