PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon a Time In America double disc

this one dude
08-24-2003, 08:39 AM
hope this thread doesnt already exist...

anyway, i just picked up that new OUATIA double disc SE. having never seen the film, and only having minimal knowledge on it(mainly just the fact that it had poor marketing and distribution upon its release, and its somewhat infamous edits), i went into this epic not sure what to expect. after viewing it, id say its a real shame that this movie has been under the rader for so long. it really is one of the best gangster films ever made. the new 229 minute cut(which is said to be the closest thing to a directors cut we're ever gonna get) is a bit longwinded at times, but i really dont think that it takes away from the overall experience. anyone else puchase this, or even seen it?

on a side note, the rape scene is pretty brutal.

Scarface98.9
08-24-2003, 11:40 AM
I think there's a thread around from a month and a half ago, but this should be fine. I bought the discs and it's in my top 10 of all time, my 4th favorite gangster movie

this one dude
08-24-2003, 12:03 PM
it just boggles my mind that this movie doesnt get the credit it deserves.

hate m all
08-24-2003, 12:52 PM
I've seen the movie a long,long time ago and forgot what it was like.Last week I picked the up the SE and I was a bit surprised that i had forgotten what a great movie this actualy is.stunning performance,as always, by deniro.

Strider
08-24-2003, 03:51 PM
I have a question, is this film worth purchasing? Last night, I was *this* close to purchasing the DVD at my local Best Buy, but I didn't, mostly because I'm not a fan of "blind buys". However, just from reading the back cover, the film sounds great, and I do love gangster flicks.

Strider

chasingbanky
08-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I have a question, is this film worth purchasing? Last night, I was *this* close to purchasing the DVD at my local Best Buy, but I didn't, mostly because I'm not a fan of "blind buys". However, just from reading the back cover, the film sounds great, and I do love gangster flicks.

Strider

Dude same exact thing happened to me like a two weeks ago...It was between this and casablanca...I went wit casablanca cuz i've heard some harsh things said about Once upon a time....I wonder if i made the wrong choice.

this one dude
08-24-2003, 04:19 PM
i'd say its good enought to make scorcese sweat

Strider
08-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by this one dude
i'd say its good enought to make scorcese sweat

That good, eh? Well, the film is certainly starting to sound better and better. I think I may just purchase the film, since that's my only option of checking the film out, because my local (shitty) video stores don't carry OUATIA along with millions of other flicks... :rolleyes:

this one dude
08-24-2003, 04:29 PM
id say if you dig gangster films, then its almost a sure bet you'll enjoy this. it was a blind buy for me as well, and i ended up really digging it.

movie fan #1
08-25-2003, 09:57 AM
I've read that my favorite actor Treat Williams is in Once Upon a Time in America. For those who have seen it, does he have a big role and did he deliver a good performance?

this one dude
08-25-2003, 10:37 AM
he is indeed in the movie. i felt he did an ok job with what he had to work with.

Scarface98.9
08-25-2003, 11:54 AM
Treat Williams is in the movie for a couple scenes. Not a big role, but he certainly is there.

And Strider, if you love gangster flicks, and don't mind the daunting length, you'll love this movie. It's #10 on my list of favorite movies of all time, and #4 on my list of best gangster movies

Cipher Jo
08-25-2003, 04:32 PM
What's #3?

Strider
08-26-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Scarface98.9
And Strider, if you love gangster flicks, and don't mind the daunting length, you'll love this movie. It's #10 on my list of favorite movies of all time, and #4 on my list of best gangster movies

Well, let's see, I do really love gangster flicks, and I don't mind the length at all. Hell, I watched Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet", and that was a little over 4 hours long. Yeah, I think I'll purchase OUATIA as soon as possible. I'm positive that I'll enjoy it, gangster flicks and myself go very well together.... :D

Strider