spacemonkey
08-26-2003, 10:41 AM
http://www.bluewyrm.com/legend/images/jl_justright.gif

Title: Legend

Director: Ridley Scott

Stars: Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, Tim Curry

Released: 1986

Review:

If there ever was a perfect example of what a full blown, perfectly made fantasy/horror film should be, it has to be Ridley Scotts magnus opus: Legend.

This films has the classic Good vs. Evil theme spread all over it. The Good being Jack (Tom Cruise) and Lilly (Mia Sara) two innocent youngsters in love. Jack is a forest child, kinda wild and free, and Lilly is a princess who'd rather enjoy the simple pleasures of country life then the confinements of a royal palace.

The Evil (and very evil at that) is Darkness (Tim Curry) an evil demonic creature, king of all goblins and dark things, whos only desire is to kill the most sacred creatures in the universe...the unicorns. Kill them and obtain their horns...to "rule the universe" while at the same time bringing eternal darkness into the world

Whats great about this movie is how well love, friendship, goodness and ultimate evil is portrayed. These traits are shown in the movie very intensely. If your good..your really good like Lilly and Jack. But when your evil...well all you need to do is look in Tim Currys eyes. Jack and Lilly are deeply in love, and trust each other completely. Nothing will penetrate that love, not even the pure concentrated evil that is Darkness. And the friendship that is shown between Jack and his elf and dwarf friends is very strong, they'll stick together through the very end, this to me is the essence of the film, the eternal struggle between these two sides, intense, pure and innocent good, and black, demonic and perverse evil.

Theres many things that are amazing about this film, like the sets wich are jaw dropping. Of special interest is Darkness's castle...filled with long, dimly lighted hallways and huge detailed pillars. Inmense doors hiding god knows what evil behind em. Intimidating stuff, but also beautiful to look at.
Theres also the forest set, wich is one beautifull thing to look at. It might be a set, but it looks like one rich, thick spooky forest. Unfortunately it was burned down by a freak accident during production....but the grand majority of the takes were made, so it didnt affect the film so much. It certainly is a highlight of the film.

Then the performances are as perfect as you could ask for. Tom Cruise is great as Jack, Lilly played by Mia Sara is innocent yet mischievious. Too bad Mia Sara hasnt done much after this film, her beauty is something to behold. Also theres David Bennent as The Gump, his character is one of the coolest in the film, his sort of like and elf, who likes poetry, and helps jack get the things he needs for his ultimate battle with Darkness.

Then theres Tim Currys Darkness....if youve never seen this, your up for a treat. If you ever wondered what the devil looked like...look no further. This is as close as your gonna get, thanks to Rob Bottins incredible make up effects and Tim Currys masterful performance. When Darkness talks...your spine will shiver.

http://www.figmentfly.com/legend/gifs/Darkness.JPG

Rob Bottins work is all over this picture, and the level of his work as seen in films like Jhon Carpenters The Thing, is very high. Youll marvel at his great creations wich populate the world of Legend. Meg Mucklebones is such a spooky looking, and memorable witch. This film shows make-up effects at their finest! Theres also other creatures like Blix's Goblin trio, so just be on the look out for some of the finest make up efects work.

Here we get also a great direction from a veteran filmaker Ridley Scott who also directed such classics as Alien, Gladiator and Blade Runner to mention but a few. Ridley Scott has always had a talent for creating such complex and rich worlds in wich no matter how fantastical or out there the story might be, youll believe your in it. From the forest, filled with elfs, dwarves and wild life to darkness's tree, with its demons and monsters lurking about...this world is filled with life lurking around every dark corner.

All in all, this is a great fantasy/horror film, wich touches upon many themes, among them, friendship, love, lust, desire, and most importantly trust. Legend is a great film for when you want to escape into a fantastical, complex and at times horrorfying fantasy world.

Rating: 5 out of 5

rtatick
08-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Great review. I love this movie! And just for the record... Screw the directors cut with the alternate score... Give me Tangerine Dream ANYDAY.

spacemonkey
08-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by rtatick
Great review. I love this movie! And just for the record... Screw the directors cut with the alternate score... Give me Tangerine Dream ANYDAY.

Your right Rtatick, I like tangerine dreams score a whole lot better, but the directors cut of the film is far superior. Its what the movie was meant to be.

[Some Spoilers ahead!!!]

They go more into:

1- Lilly really being a princess

2- Why gump couldnt use his magic to get out of that cell.

3- Why the unicorns went nuts when Lilly touched em.

4- They show Lillys singing abilities.

5- They explain how Jack knows how to speak more animal languages. "Teach me rabbit Jack"

6- They show Gumps love for poetry and riddles.

Theres more stuff in there, extended conversations between Lilly and Darkness, and theres more of Meg Muckelbones, that water witch that pops out of the swamp, she has also an extended conversation with Jack. I allways thought she was such a cool character to only get like 5 seconds of screen time, in the directors cut, she talks a bit more with Jack about her being beautiful and all.

pyscho dude
08-26-2003, 02:42 PM
It was good but sometimes the elves and creatures got on my nerves and it felt a little too fairytalish at times.

rtatick
08-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by pyscho dude
it felt a little too fairytalish at times.

hee hee... it was a fairytale ;)

spacemonkey
08-26-2003, 02:59 PM
It was good but sometimes the elves and creatures got on my nerves and it felt a little too fairytalish at times.

LOL! It is a fairy tale dude! With dark and creepy creatures...and a demonic master of evil of course :D

Actually thats sort of what Ridley Scott had in mind when he did this one, sort of like do the ultimate fantasy/fairytale I think he achieved it. I think he was going to go as far as to make the Jack character have green skin, since he is a forest child. I know it sounds weird but he did consider that option at some point in the very early stages of writing the script.

Romero&Juliet
08-26-2003, 03:30 PM
great, great, GREAT flick with enough stay power to make it palatable to alll age groups for the next eight zillion years: stunning costume/set designs, a timeless story.. baddass direction(the diving scene...). Love the score, too!

Its gonna be a wonderful day when I show my grandkids (okay, cats..) this movie.

Pre Nosejob Tom Cruise is easy to look at, but he is, as always, a piss poor actor. Mia Sara didn't do it for me either, to be honest. Most of the supporting characters are interesting, especially David (The Tin Drum) Bennent's Blix.. but charisma doesn't exactly hold up a flick.

Its strong points are the visuals. They're incomparable. Rent the DVD, peeps! See it in all its high definition splendor!

MisterTwister
08-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Legend is a great movie. Stylish and Beautiful. Also Jerry Goldsmith's score is way better. Tangerine dream's made the film feel weird while Jerry's score actually made me feel like i was watching a real life fairy tale. Anyways great movie. 8/10

spacemonkey
08-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Romero&Juliet
Pre Nosejob Tom Cruise is easy to look at, but he is, as always, a piss poor actor. Mia Sara didn't do it for me either, to be honest. Most of the supporting characters are interesting, especially David (The Tin Drum) Bennent's Blix.. but charisma doesn't exactly hold up a flick.

Its strong points are the visuals. They're incomparable. Rent the DVD, peeps! See it in all its high definition splendor!

Yeah, I gotta admit seeing Legend on DVD was such a different experience, you can see so much more and the film just looks great...

As for Tom Cruises acting on this one, he was good, but nothing too special. Hes got that hero look, but thats about it. Unfortunately not even the power of Tom Cruise saved this great film for going the way of the turkey at the box office, thats sad really because this film is so great on many levels.

I guess in 1985 /86 fairytale/fantasy films like Legend werent considered cool like today. I bet if this movie had been released today in theaters it would have made kajillions.

pyscho dude
08-27-2003, 02:51 PM
It was a fairytale?!? I thought I was watching a pyschological thriller. Not just kidding I know it's a fairytale but I guess I probably should've said kiddish than fairytalish.

rtatick
08-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Heh heh... You sarcastic bastard!! Yeah, it is kind of "kiddish", but I think that part of it (i think only the beginning is overly kiddy) makes it all the more disturbing when the world goes dark. It scared me as a kid! And that bitch in the water! Damn man... No kids need apply to that scene. :D

pyscho dude
08-27-2003, 03:07 PM
I suppose your right. P.S. My parents were married when they had me. I just wanted to point that out.

Romero&Juliet
08-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Spacemonkey... I had NO idea that this flicked flopped at the box office! Dammned shamefull if y'ask me.

A theatre re-release of this would be excellent.. Imagine, watching Sara's Dance on the big screen..?

rtatick
08-27-2003, 03:15 PM
I suppose your right. P.S. My parents were married when they had me. I just wanted to point that out.

Oh i see... I didn't want us anything more offensive and I wasn't using it in the traditional sense of the word. I was using it more in the "this guy is a fellow schmoe... the little bastard!" sense of the word. ;)

The Claw
08-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Damn good film. One of the few movies that Tom Cruise didnt fuck up. That's all I got to say. I dont even know why I bother to post. YAKKITY YAK... AND DONT COME BACK!! hahahaha.

spacemonkey
08-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Spacemonkey... I had NO idea that this flicked flopped at the box office! Dammned shamefull if y'ask me.

A theatre re-release of this would be excellent.. Imagine, watching Sara's Dance on the big screen..?

Yup, its sad but true. The film was a flop. But then again so were most of Ridley Scotts films. Believe it or not, Alien, Blade Runner and Legend were not big money makers. They became huge once they hit video stores...but in theaters...zip-o!

Ridley Scotts first huge, huge hit was really Gladiator. Of course after Gladiator everything hes made is making kajillions, like Black Hawk Down and Hannibal.

Romero&Juliet
08-28-2003, 02:02 AM
That's borderline sad, actually.. considering all three of those films would be dammned near orgasmic to see on the big screen.

spacemonkey
08-28-2003, 10:21 AM
That's borderline sad, actually.. considering all three of those films would be dammned near orgasmic to see on the big screen.

I agree a re-release would be great. Well at least youll get to see Ridley Scotts Alien in theaters this oct! Im gonna be online first day, Ive seen it a million times, but hey! I was just beeing born when the first one came out, so I never got the full theater experience.

Ridley Scotts films are meant to be seen on the big screen since they are so grand in scale. I wish a similar thing would be done with Legend now that fantasy films are hot again, thanks in no small part to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

rtatick
08-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by spacemonkey
I wish a similar thing would be done with Legend now that fantasy films are hot again, thanks in no small part to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Knowing Hollywood, they'll probably remake it instead of just remastering and re-releasing this fine movie. :rolleyes:

spacemonkey
08-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by rtatick
Knowing Hollywood, they'll probably remake it instead of just remastering and re-releasing this fine movie. :rolleyes:

Why remake a perfect film? Why mess with perfection? Oh wait...this is hollywood. I forget.

Anyhows besides seeing a re-release, wich would be great, Id also like to see a sequel to this film.

Highlight:

Near the end Darkness does say: "You can never defeat me, I am a part of you all!" and soon after jack 'kills' him he separates into five stars across the unverse...So I guess his return would be cool to see.

Cronos
08-28-2003, 01:05 PM
i havent seen it for a few years but what i remember i love, the makeup is excellent, Tangerine Dreams soundtrack is excellent, the acting is great, the sets are great

This is one of, if not the best fairy tale films ive ever seen

10/10

pyscho dude
08-28-2003, 02:59 PM
rtatick I knew what you meant... I was just being a wise ass.

Mr. Movie Man
08-28-2003, 08:26 PM
This was one of my favorite movies as a kid, but I'm not too fond of it lately. Granted, it's not a complete travesty like some might have you believe, but it's a very annoying movie. Visually, it's great!!! Fantastic costumes, make-up(Bottin is the man!), props, set pieces, and cinematography! All great, especially for its time. The performances from Curry and and some of the goblins were very good as well. I didn't like Tom Cruise's performance very much, mostly because of the silly nature of his actions. His voice was strange, and his acting wasn't as good as I was hoping. Mia Sara was alright, but her voice bothered me as well. Some of the writing was corny, and the editing was pretty choppy. Not a masterpiece, but certainly worth a look!!! Has some of the coolest scenes ever in a movie!

spacemonkey
08-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Movie Man
His voice was strange, and his acting wasn't as good as I was hoping. Mia Sara was alright, but her voice bothered me as well. Some of the writing was corny, and the editing was pretty choppy. Not a masterpiece, but certainly worth a look!!! Has some of the coolest scenes ever in a movie!

The main reason for their voices sounding weird is because in the grand majority of the forest scenes the dialogue had to be dubbed because the forest set was too noisy with all the animals in it.

The reason for the editing being choppy...well let me ask you this have you seen the directors cut of the film? Because I would understand why youd find the US version a bit choppy because it was litterally chopped in half. Now if you see the directors cut (aka the european version) youll see Ridley Scotts true vision for this film, I can literally say that its a whole different movie.

Mr. Movie Man
08-30-2003, 01:37 AM
I have seen the director's cut, and you're right, it is a different movie. It's not as choppy as the U.S. version, but I actually prefer the U.S. version over it. Some of the extra scenes were boring and a little bit tedious to me, and it was really slow sometimes. Also, I prefer Tangerine Dream's score over John Williams's score. Williams's score was pretty good in that it was much darker in tone than TG"S, but it wasn't quite as epic sounding, and some of the music felt clunky at times. The U.S. version also has a better beginning in my opinion. I like it better because of the way the opening scene with Darkness is shot. The lighting is super cool, and the glowing eyes is a fantastic touch! The Director's cut might have been more effective in hiding the appearence of Darkness, with only his throne to be seen in the opening shot, and with his creepy voice, but I favor the other version. I always wanted a sequel!

Inglorious
08-30-2003, 10:46 AM
This is a little off topic, but I have been dying to ask! spacemonkey, would you mind telling me what your Avatar is from?

Psychocandy
08-30-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Penut
This is a little off topic, but I have been dying to ask! spacemonkey, would you mind telling me what your Avatar is from?

I think it's Fright Night. It's Jerry Dandridge in full on vampire mode.

mugwart74
08-31-2003, 09:42 AM
no need for my opinion here....just look at my fav movies :)

poopontheshoes7
08-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Man I loved this movie when I was a kid. I recently bought the ultimate edition and it rocks! I fell in love all over again.

Screw the Lord of the Rings! You want a pure fantasy film watch Legend! The ONLY really great fairytail film.

spacemonkey
11-17-2005, 09:03 AM