PDA

View Full Version : Most DVD Viewers Watch the Ads

JoBlo
08-29-2003, 03:06 AM
Fuck me. It's articles like this from the IMDb.com that are gonna fuck our dvd-watching experiences even more. Bugh.

Most DVD Viewers Watch the Ads

Fifty-five percent of DVD buyers and renters watch the movie trailers included in them, suggesting to some analysts that DVDs might be used for other forms of advertising, the online Media Daily reported today (Thursday), citing a study from Knowledge Networks: How People Use VCRs, DVRs and DVDs. However, Jon Swallen, an analyst at Universal McCann, expressed skepticism. "The big caveat is that people are looking at movie ads. Transferring that and saying, 'Gee, I could put a Coca-Cola spot on there and it will work just as well,' probably isn't going to happen." Nevertheless, in its report, Media Daily commented: "Entertainment marketers, including TV networks, may have found a new best friend in DVDs."

Dexter
08-29-2003, 04:04 AM
when they start slapping commercials on my dvd's I'll quit buying them.

platanero79
08-29-2003, 04:09 AM
oh shit for real come on do not said it is so damn dvd's with Ads bad fucker idea

Slim_JGE
08-29-2003, 04:40 AM
Damn it!!! I new it was only a matter or time until this shit started happening. I couldn't believe it when they started putting ads on movie trailers in the theatres. These companies need to learn when to quit with this shit. The movies used to be the last place we could go to not see fuck'n advertisements all the damn time.

Neesh
08-29-2003, 05:43 AM
Alot of DVDs already come with ads for other movies on DVD... and the real bitch is, on some of them, they automatically play once you put the DVD in, and you cant skip them. I heard the new Animal House is like that (can someone confirm...) ... I heard you have to sit through like three or four of these ads for other movies by the same studio before you can even get to the menu. Its fuckin bullshit.

ilovemovies
08-29-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Neesh
Alot of DVDs already come with ads for other movies on DVD... and the real bitch is, on some of them, they automatically play once you put the DVD in, and you cant skip them. I heard the new Animal House is like that (can someone confirm...) ... I heard you have to sit through like three or four of these ads for other movies by the same studio before you can even get to the menu. Its fuckin bullshit.

Movie trailers I don't mind. I love watching trailers for other movies.

But I will be royally pissed beyond belief if they put regular commercial ads on the DVD. That is just a waste of space for what should go to other related special features.

Shockwave
08-29-2003, 06:24 AM
If i have to watch any add for any product other then a upcoming movie that DVDs going back to the store.

rtatick
08-29-2003, 07:39 AM
Anyone can skip over the damn ads... It's not that big of a deal. I'm one of the 45% that DON'T watch the current previews, I won't watch the ones for coke. Doesn't bother me in the least.

ZoMBiEPeEpSHoW
08-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Man, and I already have a hard time digesting the ads at the movie theaters. Hopefully, as one shmoe mentioned, we'll be able to skip 'em... if ever it happens.

BorderEevilIII
08-29-2003, 09:16 AM
Nooooooooooo
If they put it on there fine but PLEASE oh god PLEASE do NOT FORCE us like some of the studios are doin w/ the trailer ads! Currently a few studios like Universal & Touchstone/Disney automatically prompts the trailers where Paramount thank you I love you guys gives you the option is you want to view trailer or go directly to the movie. I found this when I was seconds away from watching The Hours.

Jon Lyrik
08-29-2003, 04:21 PM
No!

I hate statistics!

Raymond Babbit
08-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Alot of DVDs already come with ads for other movies on DVD... and the real bitch is, on some of them, they automatically play once you put the DVD in, and you cant skip them. I heard the new Animal House is like that (can someone confirm...)

The new Animal House is like that. You can't skip it, but you CAN fast-forward through it, so that's okay.

Dexter
08-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ZoMBiEPeEpSHoW
Man, and I already have a hard time digesting the ads at the movie theaters. Hopefully, as one shmoe mentioned, we'll be able to skip 'em... if ever it happens.
Kick ass avatar.

Cronos
08-29-2003, 06:09 PM
i watch the trailers for films im interested in but to but ads on DVDs :mad:

thats just a stupid idea, if this does happen (i hope it doesnt (crosses fingers)) they'd better make it so they can be skipped

Scarface98.9
08-29-2003, 06:40 PM
The only kind of advertising I like on DVDs are theatrical trailers, and only when they're in the special features section, so you can watch or not watch them when you can. Anything more would be pure overkill. TV ads in the theater's way too much anyways

El Bracamonti
08-29-2003, 07:33 PM
this is some pretty fucked up shit. i can't even think of what i'll do if this happens....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

KcMsterpce
08-29-2003, 08:53 PM
I hate the stupid Universal commercial that starts with the guy lighting his lighter... at least I can skip it.

That's one thing I hate about DVD. They can require you to sit through their shitty overlong Menu introductions, or even worse... COMMERICALS YOU DON'T WANT! If they do that, I will have to think twice about buying that movie on DVD.

At least VHS might last a little longer if other schmoes are like me on this.

Neesh
08-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by KcMsterpce

At least VHS might last a little longer if other schmoes are like me on this.

The whole concept of putting ads before movies began with VHS tapes, years and years ago. (I'm talking about movies you can buy or rent.)
Its really nothing new. It certainly is annoying though.

And another thing... who the fuck are these "analysts" who came up with the statistic that 55% of us actually WATCH the ads? I dont recall ever being polled on this one.

Grim H.
08-29-2003, 11:00 PM
Ads?! No, no, NO! This always happens. A new product finds it way onto the market, untainted. Then it's slapped with ads galore. Every time a turn on a radio, there's an ad. Every time I watch TV, there's an Ad! And every time I open a magazine, guess what?! There's an AD! Part of the good in DVD's is just being able to watch a movie without commercials....ARGH!

GRIM ANGRY, GRIM SMASH...ARGH!

thompsoncory
08-30-2003, 03:49 PM
I don't mind movie trailers, actually I like when they include one or two other trailers for different films. I would be pissed if they began to add advertising for products onto films though.

KcMsterpce
08-30-2003, 04:18 PM
The whole concept of putting ads before movies began with VHS tapes, years and years ago. (I'm talking about movies you can buy or rent.)
Its really nothing new. It certainly is annoying though.

I know that.

But you can fastforward a tape.

If I buy a Disney DVD, and I have to sit through ten minutes of Kids' PC games every time I want to watch a movie - and I am unable to skip it - I will be very very pissed indeed!

Neesh
08-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by KcMsterpce
[B]I know that.

But you can fastforward a tape.

To the best of my knowledge, there isnt a DVD out there with ads that you cant fast forward through. Still, its annoying as hell that they automatically start when you first pop in a DVD.

But this problem with ads before movies is not a problem exclusive to DVDs

dh1989
08-30-2003, 05:52 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there isnt a DVD out there with ads that you cant fast forward through. Still, its annoying as hell that they automatically start when you first pop in a DVD.

There is one I know of, but I can't remember which title. I know it's a Universal release, because the ad's a trailer for Possession, and comes up after hitting "Play Movie." I wish I remembered the title, but I can't. I want to say Red Dragon, though. When you try and fast forward or skip, the little red "X" appears in the top right corner.

ZoMBiEPeEpSHoW
08-30-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Dexter
Kick ass avatar.

APzombie
08-31-2003, 12:19 PM
as long as their in a sub-menu thingy, i don't care. I won't go near the f*cker.

Indy in IN
09-29-2003, 03:52 PM
I hate when they call the ads one of the "Special Features" like the stupid Pontiac ad on the xXx disc.

Invincible
09-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by platanero79
oh shit for real come on do not said it is so damn dvd's with Ads bad fucker idea

What did you just say...:confused:

Saruman
09-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Indy in IN
I hate when they call the ads one of the "Special Features" like the stupid Pontiac ad on the xXx disc.

Me too. That was a waste of a special feature.