PDA

View Full Version : "Anarchy"

Film Guru Zach
09-13-2003, 12:45 AM
A brief idea.

A friend and I want to collaborate and create a feature length screenplay that is not only complex, but leaves you wondering. I am key to the visuals, where he is great at tackling dialogue.

To have a complex story that makes you wonder, we wanted to start with a simple idea. That idea starting with a "what if?"

Synopsis: What if tomorrow the world were to go into total anarchy. Every man for himself. The people overthrow the government, and everything gets torn to hell. No futuristic crap (we wouldn't sugar coat it like Spielberg). Literally, what if this happened tomorrow, and all in one day. The plot would follow 4-5 characters, their friends and enemies, and how they survive in the new world resemblent of hell.

This is still in the major "ideas and brainstorming" stages. But i would love feedback on possible solidifiers, and how to make this everything but a stereotype!

Thanks

the odyssey
09-13-2003, 02:58 AM
i suppose you could turn it into a chilling tale of survival agains't not a clearly definable villian but say something like a plague or nuclear weapon attack for a start it would be not only very dramatic and emotional but very visual all the death and carnage of nuke it would really pull on the stomach and heart strings
the what if a nuke was dropped on your city how would you survive first the blast and then the silent killer it's fall out
but what would really get the audiance is that all your characters died through either each other or the fall out eating poison food and all that

and you could call it echoes of the damned

adamjohnson
09-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Well, you would definetely need a logical explanation as to not only why this happened, but why they survived.

Fallout is a good title.

Grim H.
09-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Actually, Odyssey. I have a script that kind of like that. It all takes place after a nuclear war. Although that's not the meat of the story. It's really a revenge story about 3 friends trying to hold onto their sanity in a changing/collapsing world. Clans form and start civil wars, some in the name of old, others wanting change. I finished it back in April, but the first draft sucks, I want to seriously revamp what happens in the latter half.

I wanted to tackle a more serious and epic interpretation of the apocalyptic genre...I know the plot may sound generic, but it's really more of a character driven drama withs some epic imagery...

anyway, in response to Zach's post, I'd say it sounds cool. A bit of a different angle then what I was going for, so go for it. A collaboration may be a cool idea, especially if you both have strong points in different areas, just don't bite each other's heads off in disagreement! :D

JasonLeeFan
09-21-2003, 08:49 PM
I really like the development. I'd go ahead and make it from the struggle to survive sort of view point. I don't want to say anymore until you elaborate, so get to it. :D

Kastman
09-22-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Grim H.
It's really a revenge story about 3 friends trying to hold onto their sanity in a changing/collapsing world. Clans form and start civil wars, some in the name of old, others wanting change.

Clans? Theres only three people....

boggie
09-22-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm guessing that this is a study of the human animal? I mean, that shit just keeps getting worse throughout the film? Sounds really good. And I wouldn't bother with a "why anarchy broke out in the first place", just hypothesise.

Grim H.
09-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Kastman
Clans? Theres only three people....

There's only 3 main characters. Not to mention about ten other important roles, but there are still thousands of people

K Gee
09-23-2003, 09:46 PM
On Zach's "anarchy" idea. That is the best idea I have ever heard! You and your friend are brillient! I wish I would have thought of that!

docholiday_13
09-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Sounds kind of like 28 Days Later. Or not.

I think it's a great idea. The reason why the world went to shit would have to be logical. You can't hope for everyone to just buy your ''what if" explanation.

AxeDamn
09-24-2003, 05:53 AM
A revenge story?

So it's like West Side Story, only with "Next New Labour" street gang versus "The Cave Lads"?

It needs more story explanation - who are the main characters, and what happens to them in this world? Do they try to change it, or escape it? Does a bad guy rise to the top and start creating a new order for personal gain? Does a good guy do it?

Ares2907
09-24-2003, 06:33 AM
Why not try writing a treatment?
:D

K Gee
09-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Ok, I was joking around with my last post, truth is, I and ofcourse Zach are the ones who thought of that idea. Zach and I have been discussing this project at work for some time now, and will start once we both finish our own screenplays we are working on right now. The way we want it is, you as the audience will probably never know how this came to happen (how the world became acarchy). There is no villain or hero. There probably is no plot either. Some of the greatest films ever made have no real plot which Zach and I hope this will be no exception. The story is about survival. Moral is, even if you think your a good person, chances are in this situation you are going to do all you can do to survive. In this world we are creating there is no room for being nice. Also the main point is, if we as the human race could just come together and help each other out then we could rebuild this world and start over, but you have to admit that humans will never agree and delare peace with each other. As long as there are people war will be there also. We are not going to make this an action film by the way. Almost any director and/or screenwriter would turn it into that so the audience dosent get "bored". This is a tragic story. Another thing is there will probably be no women. Logic point being, women would be killed off first, they are weaker then men (most of them) and usally dont have the killer instict men have. Kids will be no more, they are weak and scared, and this is the type of environment where you dont want to be those things. Now another moral point is, we as humans dont see the fact that if there are no more women, then there can be no more new life. If we would plan ahead and yet again get along, then we can start new life, but we are greedy and care only about ourselves in this situation. This is the type of film that is impossible to avoid the "R" rating. And one can expect massive amounts of violence. If either of us gets in the game, you can expect this to come out in the next 10 years or so.:mad:

Grim H.
09-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by AxeDamn
A revenge story?

So it's like West Side Story, only with "Next New Labour" street gang versus "The Cave Lads"?

I think you're referring to my post. I didn't start this thread, we're here to give advice to FGZ here. Sorry for the confusion.

Film Guru Zach
09-26-2003, 12:18 PM
K-Gee you are a fricken GENIOUS!!! Damn, your ideas inspire me. We really should write together sometime, oh yeah... we are.

K Gee and I have further discussed the issues regarding "Anarchy." We have taken much of your comments into consideration. The only difficulty with many is the whole clan idea. Many of the "apocolyptic" pieces always deal with some sort of clan ruling over another, a new formed government, etc. The stereotype is becoming a disease. Not that we don't want to use this concept, we just want to avoid that association. This won't be like 1984 and Big Brother. The government will be overthrown. The story will probably span over one day. A day of survival in a world of anarchy. Along with that, there will be "clans" but they will take more the form of general understanding. Meaning, there won't be any classified "clans" but there will be some who have mutual agreement on how to survive, and some may cling to each other - though there can never be any level of trust - only understanding.

As K Gee said, there will be no bs action. This too is a part of the disease we call stereotype. The only action that will occur is among the killing that comes with strive for survival. Though this will be a small element among the prodominant drama of the situation. We want to pull from the human mind, what would you do to survive, and how would you hang on to your sanity.

Also as K Gee said, this will be written in such a way that the audience will get hints as to how this all came to be - but it will never be said outright. We as the writers will have the whole story, but the screenplay will touch only on key elements usually avoided by most big budget bitches. With such a large undertaking, overdoing ourselves would be easy, so we are going to write with one word in mind - subtle. That's what it's all about.

Film Guru Zach
09-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by docholiday_13
Sounds kind of like 28 Days Later. Or not.

I think it's a great idea. The reason why the world went to shit would have to be logical. You can't hope for everyone to just buy your ''what if" explanation.

You're right, it is similar to 28 days later, also similar to The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man, 1984, Left Behind. All these films deal with life being destroyed, with a few survivers.

This is why we say, we want to avoid the stereotype. I have very little respect for the films that have come out in the last few years. There have been some incredible ones, but the majority suck. Screenwriters and Directos have lost their balls. Stereotype has become the mainstream philosophy. This is why I can hope for everyone to buy our "What if" explanation. It would be hard to make it convincing, but this is where the balls come into play. Without taking risks, all would be shit.

AxeDamn
09-27-2003, 09:40 AM
So back to the story, who does what. And why? :)