PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

Mr_Glass6
09-22-2003, 05:44 AM
I have been trying to write a screenplay, for a whille now and i will be damned if i can't get started. It is driving me up the wall! I have all these stories stuck in my head, and they won't come out! I was just wanting to maybe get some pointers on what to do. I would greatly appreciate it.

Ares2907
09-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Have a look at the FAQ in regard to books on screenwriting. I recommend the Screenwriter's bible by David Trottier.

Read the rest of the FAQ in general.
What specifically is stopping you from writing?
Do you have a clear idea of what story you are trying to tell?
Do you know why you're trying to tell this story?
Is it your story to tell? (Are you emotionally invested in telling this story?)

Do you not know technically how to proceed? (though that doesn't seem to stop most)

Do you not have a pair of hands?

There could be any number of reasons why you can't write, but without more information, other schmoes can only speculate.

Mr_Glass6
09-22-2003, 06:28 AM
Do you not know technically how to proceed? (though that doesn't seem to stop most)

^
| what does that mean?

anyway. i don't really know what is stopping me i have all these ideas.

1. Comedy
2. A Horror/Romance
3. Dark Comedy

and all of these stories are coming at once. I just basically want to know. what some people technics are for getting there stories together in some sort of order?

By the way i do have arms thanks for asking though;)

bedhead_dl
09-22-2003, 04:53 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^
| what does that mean?

He means do you know how to format a script. Where to put things on a page and such. I think that's in the FAQ too...

Anyway about your tranfer from head to paper block... What you need to do is WRITE THEM DOWN! (as ironic as that sounds).

Try just jotting them down in note form, rough outline, charactor descriptions, how it starts, how it ends, what's important, what's not. Anything and everything, get it down on paper.

Then you have it there infront of you and THEN you can decide where to go next, how to start and what to write.

I wouldn't bother reading books just yet but then again I'm not pro. Just get your stories down on paper... they seam more real and more managable then.

Maestro
09-22-2003, 10:39 PM
For starters, you should read:

IMPORTANT: Please make threads with relevant subject headers (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=61521)

The two basic ways to start are: theme and character. In other words, pick a character that will illustrate your theme, or pick a theme that suits your protag. Then come up with your antag (if you have one) and supporting characters who will accent different aspects of your theme/protag.

Once you have that, determine your act breaks (and Act II mid-point). Then decide what you need the scenes in between the turning points to accomplish. Then think of several ways for each scene to accomplish what it needs to accomplish and pick the best one.

At this point you should have a strong enough outline to script from.

Maestro

Mr_Glass6
09-23-2003, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the help y'all. i have been writing down things that seems to work great! the only problem that i am having, is that i ride the city bus, so sometimes i am just chilling on the bus and get ideas that i can't write down, and by the time i get home i have either forgot about it, or i lost interest in the scene.

NobodySpecial
09-23-2003, 04:48 AM
There's a story I heard in school that was attributed to Ernest Hemingway. I will retell it here, even though it might not have been him.
---------------
When Hemingway was young he was a big baseball fan. One day his father took him to the ballpark and he got to see his favorite player on the field (Babe Ruth? DiMaggio?).

At the end of the game his father took him down to the bottom of the stands to see the players hed home. He called out to his favorite player, who stopped and walked over to him.

"Can I have an autograph," the little boy asked his idol.

"Sure. Ya got something to write with?" the player replied with a smile.

The little boy shook his head, "No."

"Then I can't sign you an autograph. Sorry, kid." And the player walked off.

After that moment Hemingway decided to always carry a pencil in his pocket, because you never know when you'll be compelled to write.
-------------
That's probably a bastardization, but the moral stands. If you ride the bus a lot and that's where you get all your great ideas, start carrying a pad and a pen with you on the bus.

Note taking is an invaluable solution to organizational problems.

Mr_Glass6
09-23-2003, 07:23 AM
point well taken, and also logical. with all these posts. Thay all come down to one thing. I need to get my shit together if i want to write. thanks guys i will keep you all posted on the progression of my story, so that i may get some feedback on it. thanks.