PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Opinion on Essay Question

TheJadedGamer
11-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Don't think I'm just trying to slide by on an easy grade from you schmoes. I need your opinion on this honest question:

Do horror movies effect people minds?

That is my topic for a 5 page essay due next Friday. I need your opinions on this topic. If the moderators don't think this is the right place, they know what to do.

darchangel
11-12-2003, 06:01 PM
yes they definitely do. if it's a topic that really makes you think, then it does. even with the directors of the films and the writers; someone had to be thinking about this, evidently enough to write a storyline for it and to direct it. also, this is paraphrased from the beginning pages of the horror movie survival guide but something about how all the topics in horror movies are based in facts. no matter how farfetched the concept, it is a hidden psychological desire in someone's mind to do or think about these things, therefore affecting them. damn, i've had too many psych classes! hope this helps!!!

rock out with your cock out!

~darchangel~

Duke Nukem
11-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Derchangel makes a reasonable point. Horror films does affect the audience; in one way or another. For instance, it's the reason that a lot of us schmoes will go by horror-ish names on this site. Like Myersfan31. He's obviously a fan of Michael Myers and his "Halloween" series. That's an example of a non-serious effect.

Considering that, there's a lot of serious effects that can come out of it that people just love exploit. For instance, when some psycho kills someone and says that a movie made them do it or inspired them. Okay, to inspire to come up with a cool name like "Myersfan31" is one thing, but to kill someone. Movies have been banned because of psychos that report that "the movie mad them do it." They're right. The movie did make them do it - because they are obviously not the right people, or mentally healthy enough to handle it, or are insane. I believe that only people who are crazy or insane are to at fault for seeing a movie and killing someone over it. If they're crazy to begin with...adult supervision anyone?? That's the reason that society is messed up as it is anyway.

Sorry if I rambled. My point is that horror films do affect the audience - in minor/insignifigant/non-serious and major/signifigant/serious ways. Just about everyone into horror films are likely to be affected in minor/signifigant/non-serious, and it's only rational and nothing to worry about. The only reason there are major/signifigant/serious ways is that, inevitably, there are people who aren't right for horror in the first place and are one of the reasons the horror genre has a bad name. Keep that in mind when you write your essay.

Freddy Krueger6
11-12-2003, 07:23 PM
yep u can bet it does.As previously said by Duke Nukem it can effect you in big ways or small insignicant ones,but horror movies will effect peoples mind.In example when my mom was younger 14 years old to be precise,she watched a vampire flick(not sure which one she doesnt remember the exact name and i cant figure out what it is from what she describes it as)and she was traumatized when younger she would always sleep wearing a turtle neck and and with the comforter covering her neck.At this point in her life she's not that bad anymore but she never watches a second of another horror movie,which is kinda how i can keep her outta my room sometime just put on a horror movie:D .Aswell if my memory serves me right wasn't there a kid who was obsessed with Queen of The Damned who killed and ate part of his friend,then was put in jail life sentence.I think thats what happened.but im just giving you some examples of big ways people are effected by horror movies those were both bad,but there are many in which are good.For example me i've been effected because first off because of horror movies i now enjoy writting horror movie scripts and another would be coming to this web site.well im done now that ive bored the living hell out of you:p

Goodluck on your essay

NightHorrorChick
11-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by TheJadedGamer
Don't think I'm just trying to slide by on an easy grade from you schmoes. I need your opinion on this honest question:

Do horror movies effect people minds?

That is my topic for a 5 page essay due next Friday. I need your opinions on this topic. If the moderators don't think this is the right place, they know what to do.

This link might help u out, it's an article... I haven't read it yet, so there's no gaurentee...

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/young/bulger/1.html?sect=10

TheJadedGamer
11-12-2003, 08:35 PM
I've read the site, I've heard of the case, but so far I haven't seen anything on horror movies effect kids. (But I'm sure I'll find stuff)

Thanks for the inputs, I really appreciate it!

adamjohnson
11-12-2003, 09:31 PM
I think youre just giong to have to analyze both sides carefully. Making a case for both sides usually works well with essays.

Why it doesnt
why it does
why your teacher should shut the fuck up
and why youd ont think you should be expelled
that should be your essay

TheJadedGamer
11-13-2003, 04:00 PM
B
U
M
P

BUMP

quoth_the_raven
11-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Yeah split it into for and against arguments. try and give each one equal weight and support. then come down on one side, based on the evidence you have already added, plus your own personal experience. keep a balanced argument, and come up with a conclusions based around those arguments and you should do just fine.

incidentally, that is a lovely question. i am currently working on two essays, the first of which is entitled "Should trust law privileges and fiscal privileges be seperated?" and the other is a 10,000 word reasearch project on how public policy is involved in decided whether a duty of care in negligence.

any takers on those?

didnt think so ;)

chasingbanky
11-13-2003, 06:26 PM
I think a horror movie can effect your thinking totally...I mean if im walking down a dark alley way a lot of shit i remember from movies goes through my head...Im home alone at 2 in the morning taking a shower I make sure to wash the soap out of my eyes extra quick..... Anything someone hears, reads, sees effects their way of thinking somehow...Will watchin horror flicks make someone kill? No but Im sure it can give them ideas....

Cronos
11-14-2003, 03:10 PM
yes and no.....i dont think they can affect or be the cause of a person to kill anybody, or anything such as this unless they are already unstable

they can affect people so they stay away from dark alleys, lock their car/home doors etc due to what they have seen

tightywhitey411
11-14-2003, 05:50 PM
if anything, it makes ppl more careful. i dont know about any of you, but the texas chainsaw affected my mind by thinking twice about taking a road trip through texas ;) i cant think of a better example right now. anybody backin me up on this?

Romero&Juliet
11-14-2003, 06:25 PM
I couldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.. I couldn't touch the pole..

As a genre, I dont think it should have any more effect on an audience then..say.. a sappy romantic comedy. Its a healthy mix of good and bad which range from absolutely life changing, to throw away. Simply because film (as an artform) is meant to have an effect on its audience: it provokes, compels, all that shit. Film just happens to be the choice of the masses right now, so there are a lot of questions raised about morality and censorship.. all the things that inevitably make the genre a source of endless debate.

Inherently, I dont think there are any concrete objectives for horror filmmakers. In fact, i'd be inclined to say that generalization depends primarily on public reception...

If anything.. all the supposedly 'newfound beliefs' that we to have because of horror movies (probably haing a lot to do with death, religion, morality, etc...) have already been in us from the get-go. the fact that we are fans of the genre that deals with a lot of these things just goes to show what a great eye we've got.

ERIN_LoJ
11-14-2003, 06:31 PM
If she means does it make people kill or become violent? No. I wont comment on that as I wrote several paragraphs and started a topic on it earlier, which may make interestng reading for you with the search engine.

But from another perspective, something I've never said, yes it can.

My brother (ahem) was a younger little lad and obviously cant handle horror. Some people just cant and this interests me. Anyway I was younger as well and horror movies never bothered me at his age when I was allowed to watch them.

Sooooo to make a long story short I had him with Dolls and IT with me. Bad mistake.

He now has a lifetime phobia of clowns and dolls. Seriously. Didnt before the films, and it's been over 6 years now.